Boomba Racing 2.3 Ecoboost Intake Manifold Spacer Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Increasing port volume without losing velocity is a good thing, I think the spacer should work as expected.
I would like to know what people think after they install it!
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Here’s the dyno for a stock 2016 EB Mustang with the TB spacer and intake manifold spacer. Dyno numbers look correct for a stock 2.3L EB too given that is a Mustang Dyno which is 12% lower than a Dynojet.

Looks like it allows peak hp to be achieved and maintained 1k earlier in the powerband, which is impressive. Ok @Boomba Racing when you have a TB and Manifold spacer combo ready to go like you do for other vehicles, I give you permission to take my money…

254C89BB-7C99-494F-8C3D-88C3400BCC02.jpeg

Sources:
https://www.boombaracing.com/ford-eb-throttle-body-spacer/
I'd want to see a tune on top of that.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Increasing port volume without losing velocity is a good thing, I think the spacer should work as expected.
I would like to know what people think after they install it!
Hi Mike,

Be data driven, where are the Ranger 2.3 L before and after curves for HP and Torque... Not that is suppositoryly going to work... No performance data on a Ranger 2.3L, I recommend sitting on the sidelines...

Best,
Phil

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Mike,

Be data driven, where are the Ranger 2.3 L before and after curves for HP and Torque... Not that is suppositoryly going to work... No performance data on a Ranger 2.3L, I recommend sitting on the sidelines...

Best,
Phil
Good point, now that I think about it the 2.3L in the Ranger should be somewhat different than the 2.3L in the Mustang and the Focus, cams, compression maybe even port configuration.

It really is about hemholtz resonance, which I really only know enough about to know what it is.

I was basing it upon my experience with different engine, the 2.65L Honda V8 had a complicated barrel valve system that was capable of altering port volume, worked well, only saw minor differences on the dyno (midrange Tq) but the drivers really liked it, it smoothed out the dyno graph trace, which the graph above also kinda shows, an engine is happy when the Tq and Hp traces are smooth, hopefully it will be the same on a Ranger.

Well hopefully somebody here will jump in and do the install on a Ranger!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm on the sidelines as well until more concrete info is presented.

In the Nissan Frontier world, the IMS moved the torque curve to earlier in the rpm range which made the truck feel peppier.

The Ranger has no lack of low rpm torque (well, no lack after the turbo is spooled anyway) so I'm interested in how it will respond to this.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Good point, now that I think about it the 2.3L in the Ranger should be somewhat different than the 2.3L in the Mustang and the Focus, cams, compression maybe even port configuration.

It really is about hemholtz resonance, which I really only know enough about to know what it is.

I was basing it upon my experience with different engine, the 2.65L Honda V8 had a complicated barrel valve system that was capable of altering port volume, worked well, only saw minor differences on the dyno (midrange Tq) but the drivers really liked it, it smoothed out the dyno graph trace, which the graph above also kinda shows, an engine is happy when the Tq and Hp traces are smooth, hopefully it will be the same on a Ranger.

Well hopefully somebody here will jump in and do the install on a Ranger!
2.6 honda v8? Do tell more

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Call me a lover of trying snake oil, but my butt dyno and poorly managed data should give me enough to tell all y’all. I will let you all know what comes of these two upgrades once I can get the TB spacer. The manifold is here already, just don’t want to get inside the truck until both is here.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, it was during the C.A.R.T era, 2.65L single turbo V8, 17,400 RPM, at it's peak development it made 900 Hp.
It was a engineering masterpiece, one of which was the TU2 variable intake runner volume, as well as other ridiculously expensive stuff, only good for 600 miles, everything got changed except gears and cams, crank was good for 2 runs though, the qualifying engines were only good for 140 miles.
This was when the budget was 80m a year and the motto was "just win" now the engines have to go many many miles or the teams get a penalty.
That engine was $600,000 if the team damaged it, the current Indy engine is only about $100,000, the bean counters and the racing series have really changed things.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Call me a lover of trying snake oil, but my butt dyno and poorly managed data should give me enough to tell all y’all. I will let you all know what comes of these two upgrades once I can get the TB spacer. The manifold is here already, just don’t want to get inside the truck until both is here.
Never do 2 mods at once. How would you tell which actually worked or not?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Never do 2 mods at once. How would you tell which actually worked or not?
Very true. I am just lazy. Gotta find someone less lazy for that data :p

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Just be aware that a throttle body spacer usually doesnt make enough difference by itself. Why you ask? For starters even though you get more volume for the intake it is a very small amount. Also many people(myself included) have done dyno testing(I was in tech school doing this) and at best would maybe show a 1 HP gain(not really worth it if you think about it). Think about the amount of money spent to gain so little. Not really worth it at that point.

Now as for the manifold spacer you would have the ability to get a better change since the runners would be lengthened. If memory serves me right(@P. A. Schilke help me out here) a longer runner length is better for low end power vs a shorter runn is better for high end power. With that said you do have a probable theoretical chance that it wpuld make a difference. Worth the money? In my opinion not so much but if you wish to spend your money on it then go ahead.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just be aware that a throttle body spacer usually doesnt make enough difference by itself. Why you ask? For starters even though you get more volume for the intake it is a very small amount. Also many people(myself included) have done dyno testing(I was in tech school doing this) and at best would maybe show a 1 HP gain(not really worth it if you think about it). Think about the amount of money spent to gain so little. Not really worth it at that point.

Now as for the manifold spacer you would have the ability to get a better change since the runners would be lengthened. If memory serves me right(@P. A. Schilke help me out here) a longer runner length is better for low end power vs a shorter runn is better for high end power. With that said you do have a probable theoretical chance that it wpuld make a difference. Worth the money? In my opinion not so much but if you wish to spend your money on it then go ahead.
Hi Chris,

My take is to see before and after dyno curves for the 2.3 L as I have not direct experience with these changes due to a lack of a sensitive study of the engine air flow. There have been instances where slight changed in porting have had very good results and in other cases...no real gain. So this is why I said to be data driven and sit on the sidelines until data is available for the Ranger Motor... Otherwise, spend your money and take your chances. CFD analysis might show the improvement in air flow if modeled correctly but I think Boomba needs to generate Ranger data, not Focus data. JMO.

Best,
Phil

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger

This is generally the case.

OP
OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

First Name
Boomba Racing
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat as well as many other vehicles.
Occupation
Making Car Parts!
Status
Not open for further replies.