Bilstein vs Eibach vs FOX 2.0 Rear Shocks

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Looking to swap out the stock shocks on my 2021 FX4 and can't figure out which will be best for my needs. Figure around 90% on-road driving, 10% gravel/mud/snow forest roads. Sometimes towing a boat. Looking to reduce the floatiness / bounciness. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So I always get a kick when people say Forest roads when they might be talking about the occasional off-road trail that will require a little bit more than what most people think. Don't get me wrong the ranger is very capable but it's just one of those things I have to get off my chest right now.

As for which one will do what you want? All of them will do just fine if you're not looking to lift or level your truck. Personally I recommend always matching front and rear when it comes to shocks just because you want to keep things balanced. If you are looking to go off-road even just 10% of the time you might want to look more into a small practical lift kit like old man emu. The choice is yours and what you do but that is my simple input.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I went with Fox 2.0 rears because I do some soft roading also (forest roads, etc). My main goal was to reduce the stock bounce and wallow, which was accomplished.

I think the Foxes are the softest of the bunch, and IMHO, mesh well with the stock front suspension, which is soft. Honestly, this setup feels how the truck should have come from Ford: soft, yet controlled.

I think the Eibachs are the firmest. IMHO, if I wanted to go that firm, which is fine BTW, I'd want the fronts to match.

The Bilsteins are somewhere in the middle.

Whatever you choose, it will be a vast improvement.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Whatever you choose, it will be a vast improvement.
This is truth.

I chose Bilstein, primarily because they were on sale, but it is likely that any of the brands mentioned above will feel like an improvement to the FX4 branded shocks.

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
I went Eibach pro truck 2.0s
Between price
Lifetime warranty
Steel body allowing easier adjustment.
Eibach also sells other springs so there is the ability to better tune them if I need by swapping out springs..

Other than covid delays im impressed and happy with them

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Installed Eibachs today and they make a big difference. I only bought them because the Bilsteins were out of stock and the Eibachs were in stock and few bucks cheaper.

Ride is much better. Would like to compare to the Bilsteins, but I'm not disappointed.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Any update on what you picked and results?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Bilstein = stiff
Fox = soft
Eibach is in the middle
Agree with this.
IMHO if you are only replacing the rears, the softer Foxes match the soft front stock shocks the best. If I was doing all four corners, I'd be tempted to go Bilstein as I typically prefer a stiff suspension on my vehicles.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Agree with this.
IMHO if you are only replacing the rears, the softer Foxes match the soft front stock shocks the best. If I was doing all four corners, I'd be tempted to go Bilstein as I typically prefer a stiff suspension on my vehicles.
Can confirm the Fox 2.0 rears pair quite nicely with the factory front FX4. Ran that setup for a good 8 months before getting the matching fronts.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Eibach 2.0 pro with Icon uca and it is a completely different truck. I was interested in Bilstien but could not find any available. Lots of great reviews on Eibach helped me decide.

The one thing about the Eibach coilovers that Fox or Bilstien do not offer is you can adjust them for height without removing them from the truck and they even supple the wrench.
Sponsored