First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Did it still add height? I was curious if you can use stock ones and if it would make a difference. I was going to order ome heavy duty front coil springs
Yes. I was confused by this too. I had never heard of a strut adding height to a stock spring (this is my first tuck in 15 years). If you look at the Bilstein strut notice the grooves in the strut body an the snap ring on the strut body. Position the snap ring in the groove for the desired height increase. The stock strut has to be taken apart an the lower spring perch slipped onto the Bilstein strut an the stock spring an bump stop installed.

I went with 1.8" of lift. I did this so the spring wouldn't have as much compression on it thinking it would ride better with less preload. I don't know if this is true but I thought it made sense. Also the front axles will have a constant angle added to them due to the height change so I thought not maxing lift out would reduce stress on the axle shafts. Again, I don't know if it does but I wanted to be safe. 1.8" is the second highest setting an 2.5" is the highest. I wish the second highest was 2" but oh well.

OP
OP
Yikes1961

Yikes1961

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Waiting to purchase all 4 as well. Heard lots of great feedback about them. Just so you have a reference I contacted 2 shops and got quoted $350-400 for installation only
I met a guy at the local parts store and I think I'm going to have him do it. I tried Ford under the bumper to bumper and they said that's how they drive.

OP
OP
Yikes1961

Yikes1961

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
YUP. I got these installed by a local tire company they ordered them as well. Best thing I have done to my Ranger. My wife doesn't get carsick riding in it now.
thanks!

CollieDog

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Civil Construction Estimator
I met a guy at the local parts store and I think I'm going to have him do it. I tried Ford under the bumper to bumper and they said that's how they drive.
Check with your local Ford Quick Lane, they did my fronts for $150 plus the alignment for $69.99, used my points to pay for it, cost me really nothing.

OP
OP
Yikes1961

Yikes1961

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Check with your local Ford Quick Lane, they did my fronts for $150 plus the alignment for $69.99, used my points to pay for it, cost me really nothing.
I will do that. I have to go pick it up today from my non-repair.

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
gonna have the bilstein front struts installed this coming week, and had a question so posing it here rather than starting a new thread or searching forever. i would like to go at the highest setting to to give me the max ~2.5 inches of lift. will any potential problems, in terms of stress to any suspension components, arise if i do nothing else to the front suspension, or should i just go with ~1.8 and call it a day. be gentle on me as i know little to nothing about suspensions in general. any offroad i do will be mild, just mainly doing it for aesthetic purposes. thanks

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
gonna have the bilstein front struts installed this coming week, and had a question so posing it here rather than starting a new thread or searching forever. i would like to go at the highest setting to to give me the max ~2.5 inches of lift. will any potential problems, in terms of stress to any suspension components, arise if i do nothing else to the front suspension, or should i just go with ~1.8 and call it a day. be gentle on me as i know little to nothing about suspensions in general. any offroad i do will be mild, just mainly doing it for aesthetic purposes. thanks
I went with 1.8 to avoid stressing the front half shafts. I figured since ford offered a 2" lift up to 2" probably doesn't stress things much. Lots of guys on here run 2.5 an 3. You might want to get the upper control arms to aid alignment.

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Also interested. What is the advantage to replacing all 4 instead of the rears? I saw someone post that only rears were necessary for *something* but I don't remember what they said. I don't want to change the rack, or lift on the front.
I had all four installed and it stops the dive wallow and the shitty handling. Going around any corner felt like the truck was gonna tip over. Pulling out of the driveway or over any speed bump in parking lots and the truck just wallowed as I call it. Don't over think just have it done and you will have the truck you wanted in the first place. IMHO Ford cheaped out on crappy shocks

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
I had all four installed and it stops the dive wallow and the shitty handling. Going around any corner felt like the truck was gonna tip over. Pulling out of the driveway or over any speed bump in parking lots and the truck just wallowed as I call it. Don't over think just have it done and you will have the truck you wanted in the first place. IMHO Ford cheaped out on crappy shocks
This is Truth... The factory shocks are the worst factory ride I have encountered in any vehicle

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
went with the 1.8" setting up front. have about 1" of rake. dont mind a little rake, just not the 2.5-3" of it these trucks come with. love the stance and the ride. pretty big hit in the wallet with parts and labor but only gonna hurt once.

1663411834331.png

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
went with the 1.8" setting up front. have about 1" of rake. dont mind a little rake, just not the 2.5-3" of it these trucks come with. love the stance and the ride. pretty big hit in the wallet with parts and labor but only gonna hurt once.

1663411834331.png
Gotta be honest. The stock ride seems fine to me.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Do either of you have an Fx4?
It was a night and day difference for me.
BUT. I did not really notice how bad the float was until I installed the Lariat LED headlights. With the LEDs on low beam there is a very distinct horizontal beam pattern and it looked Ike a rolling wave in front of me. After the Bilstien upgrade it still floats, but clam seas!