Best A-Pillar light option - Baja or Rigid?

upnorthranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I have searched through previous posts here and read a lot of information about A-pillar / ditch light options and still cannot make up my mind.

I was leaning towards the Baja Squardron Pro. Does anyone know the specific D-SS series light that comes in the FP Rigid kit or what the lumen rating is for comparison?

I have the Tremor package on my truck with the prewired aux switches and fuse box and am not sure if the kits offered by FP (Rigid) or Baja Designs would make sense as the wiring harness they come with might be useless with the Tremor aux switches? I was also looking at the A-pillar harness for the aux switches that SPV offers.

The Baja and Rigid lights can be purchased individually outside of the above mentioned kits but neither seem to offer the brackets standalone. I was looking at standalone brackets from Diode Dynamics and SPV. They all seem to be different and I could use a recommendation on which is best. Glare on the hood of the truck is a concern. The FP Rigid kit's brackets seem to place the light very low and close to the hood of the truck making for the most low profile option. Diode Dynamics brackets appear to offset the lights towards the fenders. The SPV brackets and the brackets that come with the Baja kit seem to provide similar placement.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-15200-RHM

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Ford-Ranger-2019-A-Pillar-Kits.asp

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...y-vehicles-see-details?variant=40532266123430

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...-sold-separately?_pos=21&_sid=6aeadfa75&_ss=r

https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-led-ditch-light-kit-for-2019-2021-ford-ranger.html
Sponsored

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
My two cents, I personally have Baja Designs Squadron Sports in wide. They used to be my fog lights in my Focus ST so pulled them before I traded it in for the ranger. Mine are mounted using SDHQ's a-pillar brackets. Mounts more to the fender rather than the hood so they don't move when the hood is opened. As for wiring, I can't imagine it would make a difference which kit you got since you'd be using the prewired switches which I have to assume are just two wire connections. I ended up using a lightforce fascia panel for my install.

https://sdhqoffroad.com/collections...-ford-ranger-sdhq-built-a-pillar-light-mounts

Here's the fascia panel i used for any of you non-tremor folks.
https://www.lightforce.com/en_us/lightforce-switch-fascia-to-suit-ford-ranger-everest

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I believe the issue is, the light moves with the hood. Brackets have to be low to keep the light away from the windshield.
I am planning to add the Diode Dynamics Max combo pattern with the their brackets.

As for the wiring, the Tremor aux wiring is just a loose wire you connect to whatever accessory. See pic of the wiring I took a photo of last week.
44850EA9-681B-4D7E-9F0A-62BFC8C87F48.jpeg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Baja, Rigid, Diode Dynamics...get them all... ?

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Baja Squadron pro (combo beam) and their supplied harness - chopped to only reach the outfitter power box #3 worked great in my Tremor. I mounted the lamps in the bumper. Performance - pattern is great and theyre protected..No hood reflection either..

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Personal opinion, you don't need the best and brightest for ditch lights. If you're wanting them to throw light far down the trail you're better off with lights mounted somewhere else. I don't care what bracket you have, you're going to get glare if you want them for driving/trail lights. I have diode dynamics ditch light kit and really like them for lighting up the edge of the trails but the light bar in the grill opening is superior for long distance lights and driving off road

r2ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Used rigids in the past but wanted to give diode dynamics a try since their stuff looks pretty legit. They weren’t kidding about being the brightest. Super happy and impressed with these amber ss3s. Took it to the trail and worked great.
F7B6C13C-561D-487C-A307-278C0EBB3E48.jpeg

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have the Diode Dynamics ditch kit combo pro's in white and they are really bright, really well made, and easy to install. If you are worried about glare on the hood you can get driving pattern lights that have a more focused beam of light that wont reflect off the hood like combo patterns do.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/diode-dynamics-ss3-pro-ditch-lights.15848/#post-319948
(here is a thread I made about the ss3 kit)

Do you have room for the SS5? ?

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
I have the Tremor package on my truck with the prewired aux switches and fuse box and am not sure if the kits offered by FP (Rigid) or Baja Designs would make sense as the wiring harness they come with might be useless with the Tremor aux switches? I was also looking at the A-pillar harness for the aux switches that SPV offers.
Bumping this thread for this part, found a FP Rigid SS kit for cheap'ish and being the dummy i am, didnt bother to check the instructions before buying. So now im wondering if anyone who has it is able to hook it up the Tremors Switch panel? Simple splice to the aux fuse box?

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Bumping this thread for this part, found a FP Rigid SS kit for cheap'ish and being the dummy i am, didnt bother to check the instructions before buying. So now im wondering if anyone who has it is able to hook it up the Tremors Switch panel? Simple splice to the aux fuse box?
Yes I just hacked off all of the extra stuff (switch, relay) it came with and hooked the negative to the frame and the positive to the upfitter wiring coming out of the aux fuse box. I wanted the lights to be independent, so I used switch 4 for the left ditch light and switch 5 for the right ditch light. That keeps them under the 5A max for those switches as well.

Otherwise you should put them on switch 1-3 if you want to operate them with a single switch. Another alternative is to keep the relay and use the upfitter switch to power the relay. That would let you use switch4-6 to power them both.

I went with the FP Rigid kit simply because they have the extra strip of lights on the outside, letting me point them straight while still getting good peripheral coverage.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
Yes I just hacked off all of the extra stuff (switch, relay) it came with and hooked the negative to the frame and the positive to the upfitter wiring coming out of the aux fuse box. I wanted the lights to be independent, so I used switch 4 for the left ditch light and switch 5 for the right ditch light. That keeps them under the 5A max for those switches as well.

Otherwise you should put them on switch 1-3 if you want to operate them with a single switch. Another alternative is to keep the relay and use the upfitter switch to power the relay. That would let you use switch4-6 to power them both.

I went with the FP Rigid kit simply because they have the extra strip of lights on the outside, letting me point them straight while still getting good peripheral coverage.
That was all i asked for and more, appreciate the in depth response sir!

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the issue is, the light moves with the hood. Brackets have to be low to keep the light away from the windshield.
I am planning to add the Diode Dynamics Max combo pattern with the their brackets.

As for the wiring, the Tremor aux wiring is just a loose wire you connect to whatever accessory. See pic of the wiring I took a photo of last week.
44850EA9-681B-4D7E-9F0A-62BFC8C87F48.jpeg
Where exactly is that wire bundle. Looks like it is near the battery? New Owner.
Sponsored