RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Could buy the wire assembly for the socket that goes in the bed.

14B411 I'm thinking. Around $15 and take and cut off the other socket end.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...wer-outlet-option-in-the-bed.2239/#post-27811
I missed that in the posting - he posted all the part numbers - based on that list, it must be the KB3Z-14A411 A part. Best price I could find was $21.43 here:

https://parts.schultzford.net/oem-parts/ford-wire-assembly-jumper-kb3z14a411a

Saw some different suffixes, but I don't know what they mean (A vs B vs D vs E).

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I experimented with installing a similar set of lights last night and just to make sure they worked I popped off the cap and slid the wires into the connector. Things worked and it got me wondering if I could just use the existing cap as a "plug". Drill out the end of the cap and solder some pins to the wires and then silicone the wires into the cap.

What do you think? Could it work?

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I experimented with installing a similar set of lights last night and just to make sure they worked I popped off the cap and slid the wires into the connector. Things worked and it got me wondering if I could just use the existing cap as a "plug". Drill out the end of the cap and solder some pins to the wires and then silicone the wires into the cap.

I think it could if you can find the correct pins... I think those two little blue rubber plugs come out. I haven't played w/ it, maybe when I get home today I'll see what happens when I pull on the little nipple ends.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Ok, the two blue plugs come right out, so now you just need to find the correct blade style connectors that go in the plug and your set.

IMG-6042.JPG

IMG-6043.JPG

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, the two blue plugs come right out, so now you just need to find the correct blade style connectors that go in the plug and your set.

IMG-6042.JPG

IMG-6043.JPG
THANKS for looking at that! I'm pretty sure I can make something work. I'm wondering if I might even be able to re-use those blue plugs instead of using silicone - to weatherproof the wires. Will be interesting to see.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
THANKS for looking at that! I'm pretty sure I can make something work. I'm wondering if I might even be able to re-use those blue plugs instead of using silicone - to weatherproof the wires. Will be interesting to see.
d1ab-14488-ca (CQ/AAP=CG30) 20-18 gauge female
d1ab-14461-aa (CQ/AAP=CG31) 20-18 gauge male

Depending on your gauge of wire, of course. Silicone seals are CG9. Hope that helps!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
d1ab-14488-ca (CQ/AAP=CG30) 20-18 gauge female
d1ab-14461-aa (CQ/AAP=CG31) 20-18 gauge male

Depending on your gauge of wire, of course. Silicone seals are CG9. Hope that helps!
Well, I got something that works. The silicone plugs were easy to remove, so I removed them and then used some molex pins I had and flattened them and soldered some wire onto them - they went into the plugs easily:
PlugPins.jpg

Then I put the silicone plugs back in around the wires:

PlugBack.jpg

I think that should work pretty well. The lights work, I didn't have to cut the wiring harness and it all looks pretty good. I just need to re-fasten the strips under the bed lip better - the ends that were curled up have come loose - I didn't wipe down the bed lip with alcohol - I will do that and get some good double sided tape to re-attach them. Other than that, I think it came out pretty good.

For anyone who is interested, this is the lighting strips I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MZW6HFM

They are slightly too long for the bed (about 3") but I just tucked them behind my bedrug and you can't tell. For $20, it works really well I think.

Thanks for all the ideas and help!

Shadyant

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A w/Sport Package. Black on Black & 2018 Explorer Sport, Tech pkg, twin panel roof. Black on Black
Occupation
Ops Manager, Tech
I went the same route as MT19Ranger, purchased a set of 60" NiLight LED strips. Got a deal, two 60" strips for $25. They have industrial 3M tape as the method of connection but also came with physical clip mounts which I did not use as I didn't want to drill into the bed frame to secure these cheap lights. I'll just replace the tape or lights if the tape starts to fail.
I currently have mine wired into my center mount light to come on with the two factory bed lights in the center mount (entire center mount upgraded to LEDs). I've done this so that when I press the factory bed light button in the cab these LED strips come on at the same time as the factory center mount bed light.
I may change how I've wired it but plan to keep it linked to that center mount so I can use the in cab button to activate.
You can see in the image of the rear window, the small black wire from the center mount is routed behind the rear glass and then is visible where the bed butts up against the cab. I really wanted to fish the wire from behind the center mount to the underneath of the truck and connect but was unable to figure out that path quickly so I decided on this connection for now. I much prefer a cleaner wiring but it's not terrible and isn't very noticeable I think...thoughts...
Images in order:
~Bed with no lights on (no flash)
~Bed with lights on
~Two pics of the LED strips mounted to the underside of the top of the bed frame right where there's a handy angle as it meets the top. The angle was perfect for facing the LEDs slightly inward vs just straight down.
~Pic of the wiring.
IMG_9837.JPG
IMG_9838.JPG
IMG_9829.JPG
IMG_9830.JPG
IMG_9831.JPG

IMG_9832.jpg

Pluto

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I went the same route as MT19Ranger, purchased a set of 60" NiLight LED strips. Got a deal, two 60" strips for $25. They have industrial 3M tape as the method of connection but also came with physical clip mounts which I did not use as I didn't want to drill into the bed frame to secure these cheap lights. I'll just replace the tape or lights if the tape starts to fail.
I currently have mine wired into my center mount light to come on with the two factory bed lights in the center mount (entire center mount upgraded to LEDs). I've done this so that when I press the factory bed light button in the cab these LED strips come on at the same time as the factory center mount bed light.
I may change how I've wired it but plan to keep it linked to that center mount so I can use the in cab button to activate.
You can see in the image of the rear window, the small black wire from the center mount is routed behind the rear glass and then is visible where the bed butts up against the cab. I really wanted to fish the wire from behind the center mount to the underneath of the truck and connect but was unable to figure out that path quickly so I decided on this connection for now. I much prefer a cleaner wiring but it's not terrible and isn't very noticeable I think...thoughts...
Images in order:
~Bed with no lights on (no flash)
~Bed with lights on
~Two pics of the LED strips mounted to the underside of the top of the bed frame right where there's a handy angle as it meets the top. The angle was perfect for facing the LEDs slightly inward vs just straight down.
~Pic of the wiring.
IMG_9837.JPG
IMG_9838.JPG
IMG_9829.JPG
IMG_9830.JPG
IMG_9831.JPG

IMG_9832.jpg
How exactly did you tap into the power supply from the third brake light, then run the wires? When I had mine out, I noticed that there is only one hole in the "tray" under the third brake light, and I have no idea how to run wires through that and into the cab without pulling the headliner, which I'm not planning on doing. Any pointers??

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I just ran mine back from the battery (with an inline fuse). You can run the wire inside of the truck frame for almost the entire way.

Stephen Abbene

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4 xlt, 1988 ford ranger 4x4 xlt
I put some bed lights in today. I used the dummy connector from bed power wiring harness. It was pretty easy, I pulled it off and made some connectors with molex pins like @RedlandRanger did. I also put some lights under the hood with a switch that is activated by opening the hood.

5F3E9CD8-EF8C-4B25-857F-EF8B3748F2FE.jpeg

0B2166E7-5DCF-4F8D-B458-062EF08F8B9D.jpeg

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I put some bed lights in today. I used the dummy connector from bed power wiring harness. It was pretty easy, I pulled it off and made some connectors with molex pins like @RedlandRanger did. I also put some lights under the hood with a switch that is activated by opening the hood.

5F3E9CD8-EF8C-4B25-857F-EF8B3748F2FE.jpeg

0B2166E7-5DCF-4F8D-B458-062EF08F8B9D.jpeg
Nice, I did almost the same exact thing, could you post a pic of the switch and where you mounted it, I'd like to try and change mine to that setup of a switch.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bed-lights.2167/#post-29893