Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Industrial Sanitation Engineer, Cloud DevOps
Vehicle Showcase
You need to remember that the gate locks. And just about all covers only open from inside the bed, not from the top. So, if the gate is locked then the top is locked, for all intents and purposes.
What @Tom_C said. The tailgate locks, you close the tailgate and then push the bed cover down flat and it effectively "locks" it. The second pic shows the cover in the open position, there are two pulls on the left and right side that unlatch it after the tailgate is down and allow it to be rolled.
Sponsored

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
I have the trip fold rough country hard cover. It runs about 650 and it very secure. It's made out of light weight aircraft aluminum. I love it. It opens from the inside so tailgate has to be unlocked and opened to flip. Removes fairly easy though. Sits almost flat with top of bed. Dont have any pics of it specifically but here's a few indirect pics
20210428_193542.jpg
20210424_110953.jpg
20210411_123714.jpg

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Basically the same as the Truxedo Sentry CT, however I have seen lots of reviews that in the heat of the South, the tape that holds the slats to the top gives way, not sure if they have corrected or not. I hope I do not have any issues with the Truxedo but it has been 18 months , and 1 hot summer and had no issues, top still looks brand new.
I've always had x4s but in the winter the rubber parts that snap into the rails always got stiff and very difficult to snap in place. My biggest complaint with that top so I'm trying the truxedo sentry ct this time. I feel like the x4 was heavier duty so far, but like how the sentry ct fits in its frames better and won't have the cold weather issue. I'd say some advantages to each, both made by same parent company, so either is a good option, just comes down to preference. Love both for the flexibility of a secure top when you need it, but with very easy access to the bed when you need the full bed.

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Basically the same as the Truxedo Sentry CT, however I have seen lots of reviews that in the heat of the South, the tape that holds the slats to the top gives way, not sure if they have corrected or not. I hope I do not have any issues with the Truxedo but it has been 18 months , and 1 hot summer and had no issues, top still looks brand new.
Sentry has had the heat problem but the ct should improve that. X4 has always had the cold weather issue. So neither perfect, but still the best in the segment and both great tops.

biohazard0157

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the Undercover ArmorFlex. I like that it doesn't sit on the back of the cab when its open. The top can also can be removed in less than a minute if you need to throw something bigger in there. There are rails on the side, but that hasn't hampered the space for anything I've needed to haul. It snaps closed and as long as the tailgate is locked, it fairly secure. Probably wouldn't take a lot to get in with a crowbar or something, but any of the systems that rely on the tailgate locking is basically only as strong as your front window anyway. So I figure if someone wants in, they will get in. I wouldn't store anything super valuable in the bed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJBCKW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally I tried the Retrax because I wanted to do the rails with a tent, but every single one had a defect on the right side rail in the same spot. I'm assuming by now they probably have fixed the defect in their mold or whatever it was but after dealing with them for 3 months and three shipments I gave up and moved to the armorflex.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with a 5 foot bed, and I’m currently shopping around for a bed cover that locks and is easy to access. Does anyone have a good suggestion?
I have the backflip and I like it., will post a pic later

dotdash12

First Name
vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger lariot
Occupation
mechanical designer, volvo trucks
I purchased the 2020 ranger in January. I have also purchased a "rough country" cover. trifold hard top. it is, without install, right at $660. even on amazon. There is a shop going to install for $80. They said there would be no drilling or cutting into the truck. It was to be installed last week but the manufacturer is out of stock. so is Amazon. it is probably related to no employees, no parts stocked, and/or no trucks available. anyway they said it would be available at the end of the month, may. I have only heard good things about this brand. the reason I wanted a hard top was so when the gate is locked it can not be opened. have heard a lot of complaints about a soft cover and the noise caused by the wind. hope this helps ya.

Blue Thunder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for a hard cover (tonneau). Just went through a few posts and found the BAKflip MX4 hard cover. I like the this style, but was looking for something a little cheaper.
i have the Bak-Flip G2, well worth the money, fully opens to the entire bed and locks with the tailgate. Try Tonneau outlet, great prices

20201206_151454.jpg

20201206_151758.jpg

20210123_180630.jpg

Last edited:

Rock squirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Another vote for the Bak Revolver X4. I wanted the same as others - secure, no loss of bed usage, limited budget, US made, etc. I like how it locks using the tailgate without requiring a separate key. I was ready to buy on Amazon and the CapitalOne shopping app (formerly WikiBuy - referral link: https://wbuy.me//F7221M) prompted a lower price through Zoro.com and knocked like $260 off between discount and rebate.

Ordering from Zoro looked sketchy, but it arrived fast in perfect condition and was super happy with delivery and the cover itself despite some alignment issues installing (pretty sure my fault).

Bert Webb

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Auto Tech
I just bought a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with a 5 foot bed, and I’m currently shopping around for a bed cover that locks and is easy to access. Does anyone have a good suggestion?
I bought a roll up hard cover from Amazon for my 2019

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
My box will be mostly filled with touring and recovery gear, so permanent attached is good for me. Space is also an issue as I am dropping from F150 with 6.5 box, so now my spare carrier (dual spares :) ) is going to mount on the tonneau, and possibly my high-lift as well. DiamondBack HD is good for 1600 lbs, and although I won't be near that weight, as an off-roader it will have allot of lateral forces pushing and twisting on it, so I wanted to go over-board and as secure as possible.

bMEKX68.jpg

avp14U6.jpg

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
Love my X4S. Looks good, doesn’t block the rear window, plenty secure, and roughly the same price as any of the hard fold options.

Make sure you talk to someone at wherever you buy your cover from. Vendors can usually sell them at around 15-20% lower than what’s listed on the website.

F56A416D-7D62-48F1-9DD7-71E328FEC90F.jpeg
6B66DEE5-71AD-4D64-AA99-4E519227A8FA.jpeg

jhgr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Anything that is hard and secure will not be cheap. I have the Truxedo Sentry which is a roll cover with rigid aluminum slats and the canvas type cover versus vinyl. Have to open the tailgate to release and you cannot cut trough it to access the bed. I like it better than the in the bad retractable as you lose about 20% of the space, also does not block the back window when fully open like the rigid panels do. It was about $850 and installation was very easy, and sits pretty flush to the side rails.

PXL_20210508_222405672.jpg
Got one just like that, like it very well .

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I have always put vinyl roll-ups on my trucks because I often need the whole bed open. I just received a Truxedo Truxsport yesterday and put it on last night. Ordered directly from Truxedo. Took about a half hour to install and the factory bedliner did not interfere.

I did earlier buy a Trail FX tonneau from a local shop but I took that piece of garbage back for a refund in a matter of hours.
Sponsored