diddlysquats

First Name
Diddly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT Sport
Hello All,

Installed the Bakflip MX4 (Manufactured sometime late 2021) over the course of two days. Overall I'm satisfied although for the amount of money I spent ($1,100), it really felt like I was getting shafted.

I spent quite some time between this forum and youtube and had some questions regarding long term reliability of the provided shims. I bought some thin aluminum strips (1/8") that I intend to use as shimming in the future but wanted to know how well the provided shims held up over long term use? The whole rail system seemed sort of rigged. I feel that Bakflip should have re-engineered this for the Ford Ranger rather than providing "fixes" to get it to work. Honestly I wouldn't put 400 lbs. on the bed cover as I don't feel it is rigid enough. TLDR - Do the provided shims hold up over time or will they fail causing the rail to shift or warp?

Kudos to whoever mentioned shaving down the clamps. I had to pull the Dremel out and remove a significant amount of material from the top of the clamps for them to seat correctly. In the end I was able to get the rails to sit level although it took me nearly half a day of shimming/adjusting.

I'll attach some photos later for whoever is interested. There were also two pieces of paper wedged underneath one of the panels and firmly affixed to the adhesive under the support rail. I'm going to have to reach out to Bakflip on Monday. It looks like the adhesive failed and a screw was not set correctly as the support rail is uplifted from the panel.

I might make a more detailed post later on how I was able to get through the install with the new components as the provided instructions were awful.

Thanks,
Diddlysquats
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

Installed the Bakflip MX4 (Manufactured sometime late 2021) over the course of two days. Overall I'm satisfied although for the amount of money I spent ($1,100), it really felt like I was getting shafted.

I spent quite some time between this forum and youtube and had some questions regarding long term reliability of the provided shims. I bought some thin aluminum strips (1/8") that I intend to use as shimming in the future but wanted to know how well the provided shims held up over long term use? The whole rail system seemed sort of rigged. I feel that Bakflip should have re-engineered this for the Ford Ranger rather than providing "fixes" to get it to work. Honestly I wouldn't put 400 lbs. on the bed cover as I don't feel it is rigid enough. TLDR - Do the provided shims hold up over time or will they fail causing the rail to shift or warp?

Kudos to whoever mentioned shaving down the clamps. I had to pull the Dremel out and remove a significant amount of material from the top of the clamps for them to seat correctly. In the end I was able to get the rails to sit level although it took me nearly half a day of shimming/adjusting.

I'll attach some photos later for whoever is interested. There were also two pieces of paper wedged underneath one of the panels and firmly affixed to the adhesive under the support rail. I'm going to have to reach out to Bakflip on Monday. It looks like the adhesive failed and a screw was not set correctly as the support rail is uplifted from the panel.

I might make a more detailed post later on how I was able to get through the install with the new components as the provided instructions were awful.

Thanks,
Diddlysquats
Hi Diddly,

I installed an MX4 about 2 years ago...no shims and clamps worked well for me....

best,
Phil

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I also installed a couple of years ago. I did shave the top of the clamps on one side for a better fit. No shims. Still fits and looks great.

OP
OP

diddlysquats

First Name
Diddly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Diddly,

I installed an MX4 about 2 years ago...no shims and clamps worked well for me....

best,
Phil

Phil,

It's so odd to me the variety of answers I've read in this forum about installing the MX4. The instructions are even vague as to what is required. There were shims pre-installed to the top of the vertical rail section which appear to be for keeping the panels from sliding side to side. Although with the addition of these shims, you have to shim the section nearest the clamp which is the ones I'm worried about. Bakflip includes four metal brackets meant to back the shims in the corners of the bed.

thanks,
Diddly

OP
OP

diddlysquats

First Name
Diddly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also installed a couple of years ago. I did shave the top of the clamps on one side for a better fit. No shims. Still fits and looks great.

With the omission of shims, you didn't notice the rails not sitting level? I attempted to do that and the rails would orient themselves downwards as the clamps pulled the metal bed and plastic bed cap together.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
With the omission of shims, you didn't notice the rails not sitting level? I attempted to do that and the rails would orient themselves downwards as the clamps pulled the metal bed and plastic bed cap together.
No. Sits nice and flat. Maybe they changed something?

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
I went with the X4s. Actually got it for about 900 bucks. I agree about the shims though. Feels cheap. I took a long time adjusting mine, only to realize a day or two later it needed to be adjusted again. Thought i had it perfect but now sometimes if the tailgate is shut, the cover wonā€™t lock down good. After I drive off Iā€™ll get out of the truck and notice itā€™s not down in the locked position. I think the cover is designed for the F150, then they rigged up all the shims and everything to make it work for the ranger. I still like it, but the design feels a little like an afterthought. I donā€™t think I would ever need to put 400lbs on it anyways, but itā€™s pretty sturdy. It will keep the unmotivated thieves out too.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Hello All,

Thanks,
Diddlysquats
I ordered my truck with the Bakflip. It came installed from the factory, they did an excellent job. $935 option which was rolled into the loan.

OP
OP

diddlysquats

First Name
Diddly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with the X4s. Actually got it for about 900 bucks. I agree about the shims though. Feels cheap. I took a long time adjusting mine, only to realize a day or two later it needed to be adjusted again. Thought i had it perfect but now sometimes if the tailgate is shut, the cover wonā€™t lock down good. After I drive off Iā€™ll get out of the truck and notice itā€™s not down in the locked position. I think the cover is designed for the F150, then they rigged up all the shims and everything to make it work for the ranger. I still like it, but the design feels a little like an afterthought. I donā€™t think I would ever need to put 400lbs on it anyways, but itā€™s pretty sturdy. It will keep the unmotivated thieves out too.
It's funny you mention that. I opened up the bed cover since we had some rain to see how well it performed (Front looked great, rear had quite a bit of water pooled) and some of my installed shims had already begun to work themselves out. One was hanging below the mount.

I went ahead and cut some 1/8" thick aluminum into sections and shimmed where the clamps go. I feel much better about it now. I just couldn't ride around knowing there was a thin piece of rubber material keeping the clamp set straight. I'll post some pics when I finish. I need to go to the hardware store to get another section. I was worried about the metal not giving but it all looks great.

If anyone has any questions on install - ask while its still fresh lol.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
so does this fit? im considering this or a leer one or the rough country one ā€” youd think for 900+ it would be pretty near perfect. how does it look near the tailgate? seems like some of them look a little short

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

My bakflip is still performing well. Every time I go to the hardware store to help my friend with large screens or to Home Depot in Tucson, I get many inquires into my bakflip.... Generates many questions and Ooos and Awws....

Best,
Phil

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I installed mine just a couple of months ago, no shims and no shaving. Rails sit flat and I had no install issues except they included an unidentified strip of foam weatherstripping that took me some time to figure out I didn't need.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
So would you guys buy it againā€¦ also how well does it hold up to scratches and dents? Seems to be mixed reviews online. I really like this one and its where im leaning towards.

Also anyone know where i can get it on sale!?

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
I installed my MX4 in the summer of 2020, love the looks and what it hides from view. Do a Google search to find the cheapest price, then ask if there are any discounts.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Best i could find is $1020, was hoping i could find it for 900 ish haha
Sponsored