"Bad Heater Assembly"

RavenRanger19

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I took my 2019 XLT Ranger to the dealer last week for the AC blowing hot air. I recently used the heater for the first time this year. When I switched to AC later in the day (common in South Texas) it only blew out hot air. The dealership called me back today and said the "Heater assembly was bad". I asked how that could would cause the air conditioner not to work. Of course they didn't know and the tech was not there. Can anyone give me any insight how a bad heater assembly will cause the Air Conditioner not to work? Could it just be a bad thermostat?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I took my 2019 XLT Ranger to the dealer last week for the AC blowing hot air. I recently used the heater for the first time this year. When I switched to AC later in the day (common in South Texas) it only blew out hot air. The dealership called me back today and said the "Heater assembly was bad". I asked how that could would cause the air conditioner not to work. Of course they didn't know and the tech was not there. Can anyone give me any insight how a bad heater assembly will cause the Air Conditioner not to work? Could it just be a bad thermostat?
Hopefully yo have an extended warranty because others have reported it's $2,000+ to fix it. In that thread there's a video (post #25) showing a way you can take out the actuator and manually changing it from hot to cold which is what I did. Luckily here I only have to do this twice a year and I didn't want the dealer ripping apart my dash and console to fix this as there would most likely be squeaks and rattles after.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully yo have an extended warranty because others have reported it's $2,000+ to fix it. In that thread there's a video (post #25) showing a way you can take out the actuator and manually changing it from hot to cold which is what I did. Luckily here I only have to do this twice a year and I didn't want the dealer ripping apart my dash and console to fix this as there would most likely be squeaks and rattles after.
So my truck has no heat function, so assuming that my 2020 should never devolp heater box issues. But also a pain when heavy rains hard to keep my windows clear. My only real Ranger gripe.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So my truck has no heat function, so assuming that my 2020 should never devolp heater box issues. But also a pain when heavy rains hard to keep my windows clear. My only real Ranger gripe.
There's no heater over there? I guess you really don't need one but like you said there should be one for the defrost?

Reactions: Doc

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
There's no heater over there? I guess you really don't need one but like you said there should be one for the defrost?
Yes none. PIA especially early AM heading to golf course. My truck nice and clean then I have to run wipers. Yes I know a terrible dilemma. ?? But our 2017 Everest has heat for defrost. (Ranger SUV). Another deleted item?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes none. PIA especially early AM heading to golf course. My truck nice and clean then I have to run wipers. Yes I know a terrible dilemma. ?? But our 2017 Everest has heat for defrost. (Ranger SUV). Another deleted item?
You need these and just turn the facing the windshield. ?

Dash Fan.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: R_B
OP
OP
RavenRanger19

RavenRanger19

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yes, I do have the extended warranty, this is covered.

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
@RavinRanger19
can you look up your build date (door pillar or maybe in your paperwork) I thought I read that during the ‘19 production a running change was made by the supplier to address the heater box from warping and causing malfunctions with the blend doors.
Just curios to compare to my build date, ( mainly cause im ocd and worry about things like this o_O
Thanks.

OP
OP
RavenRanger19

RavenRanger19

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I know my extended warranty paid for itself with this issue. Mine now works great after removing the dash to access the HVAC box. Even better, no squeaks or rattles from the dash.

OP
OP
RavenRanger19

RavenRanger19

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
@RavinRanger19
can you look up your build date (door pillar or maybe in your paperwork) I thought I read that during the ‘19 production a running change was made by the supplier to address the heater box from warping and causing malfunctions with the blend doors.
Just curios to compare to my build date, ( mainly cause im ocd and worry about things like this o_O
Thanks.
When I get the truck back, I'll look. Probably another 2 days in the shop. Thankfully the weather is nice so I can take the motorcycle to work and not get a rental.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I bought my extended warranty for this very reason. 37K so far an no problem. I got the warranty to 75K I figure if it's going to fail it will fail by then.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you from 30 years of experience that taking the dash apart is a recipe for continued dash interior rattles. It is a plague in the industry to get it right upon removal and reassembly. We at access to incredible mechanics in the Experimental Garage and they will tell you that it is impossible to get it right most times. As an NVH engineer, I spent so much time derattling Dash Removals...We always got it, but the time was sometimes in days or weeks. The flocking etc is almost like a one time deal...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored