Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Spin it all you want.
It's a stupid design by Ford.
I love my truck, but I have to agree - the back seat design was a clear miss by Ford. I don't think it will be a huge deal for me, but it would have been nice to have a little more thought put into it to make it more functional.
Sponsored

OP
OP
joeb427

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I love my truck, but I have to agree - the back seat design was a clear miss by Ford. I don't think it will be a huge deal for me, but it would have been nice to have a little more thought put into it to make it more functional.
Yep agree. Even my 2008 GMC Canyon back seat folds flat and is of 60/40 design. This is one of the few things (maybe the only thing?) my current truck does better than my soon to arrive Ranger.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Honestly it would be nice, but if I had to choose between fold flat seats and nothing hanging below the frame, I chose nothing hanging below the frame. I'd have also loved a larger fuel tank, but you get what you get.

My brother in law has a brand new Colorado, when filling his third tank of fuel, (21Gal each) he's barely at 500 miles... I can't complain with that kind of discrepancy.

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
The back seats in my 16 Chevy Colorado Z71 crew cab would fold up and they were still comfortable to sit in. That, the sound and smoothness of the motor, the location of the mirror adjustment switch, and dampened tailgate are things I liked better on the Colorado. Everything else I like better on the Ranger.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
stupid is buying something that you dont like.

you had that choice, you took it. You get what you paid for.
No truck is perfect. Every one contains some sort of compromise(s). This happens to be one of those compromises. I don't know how you can argue that it was a complete miss. If it didn't fold flat, but was a 60/40 split or if it folded flat but was all one it would be different. But it seems like it was just a rushed design - or maybe done for budget purposes. I don't know how anyone could argue that any thought was put into it at all.

As I said, I LOVE my truck - I just don't happen to like the back seat design - but I will certainly live with it. For me, I don't think it will be a huge issue.

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
No truck is perfect. Every one contains some sort of compromise(s). This happens to be one of those compromises. I don't know how you can argue that it was a complete miss. If it didn't fold flat, but was a 60/40 split or if it folded flat but was all one it would be different. But it seems like it was just a rushed design - or maybe done for budget purposes. I don't know how anyone could argue that any thought was put into it at all.

As I said, I LOVE my truck - I just don't happen to like the back seat design - but I will certainly live with it. For me, I don't think it will be a huge issue.
It wasn't a rushed design. Ford has been building and selling this Ranger design for several years in other countries. It is only new to us in the US.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know it is mostly the same, but are you SURE that this same back seat design is in the ROTW Ranger?

Edit: I did a search, and it would appear so based on this review of a 2012 Wildtrak - that just astounds me - and the review said NOTHING about this at all:

https://performancedrive.com.au/ford-ranger-wildtrak-review-0323/

RangerWildtrakBackSeat.png

Other than the headrests, it looks pretty much the same.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
it's basically a place for the jack, it's not designed to be a surface--so complaining that it's a bad surface misses the point. YMMV, but in most of the vehicles I've owned the various options for folding down seats were something that looked exciting at the showroom, but were never something I actually bothered to do. If I needed to just toss something on the back seat, I'd do so without folding anything down. If I had something that was too big/heavy/pointy/etc to throw on the back seat...I'd use that handy pickup bed. IMO this is just the kind of BS that reviewers love to fill up their word count.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I liked the fold flat option of my 2015 Colorado, and also the 60/40 split. It made for easy covered storage for sensitive items or delicate goods. As for a choice we make, it's not like you can pick a backseat option. It's a compromise for wanting the truck overall.

So we can all agree to disagree. Instead of complaining, has anyone looked to see why it won't lay flat ? Is it the cushions, the middle seat belt ? Perhaps a bracket could be made so that once the seat is unlatched, the lower portion can be repositioned to actually lay it flat.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I am trying to figure out a use case. i can put stuff in the seat and in the floor. why would i need a long flat space inside the truck?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I am trying to figure out a use case. i can put stuff in the seat and in the floor. why would i need a long flat space inside the truck?
Fancy golf clubs that you don't want to be on the seat? IDK, it would be nice to have more room under the seats for electronics (ham radios) though :)

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I know it is mostly the same, but are you SURE that this same back seat design is in the ROTW Ranger?

Edit: I did a search, and it would appear so based on this review of a 2012 Wildtrak - that just astounds me - and the review said NOTHING about this at all:

https://performancedrive.com.au/ford-ranger-wildtrak-review-0323/

RangerWildtrakBackSeat.png

Other than the headrests, it looks pretty much the same.
Kinda reminds me of the old bench seats in regular cab trucks from the 1960s,
Just folds to get the jack or store a shotgun or a winter coat:cool:.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Fancy golf clubs that you don't want to be on the seat? IDK, it would be nice to have more room under the seats for electronics (ham radios) though :)
Everything's a trade off. You could get more under seat room by pushing the gas tank and cat lower, but I'm happier with the clearance.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have my rear seats covered and with Animal seat covers, a moving blanket and BedRug Mat I don't miss the Tacoma's rear seat at all now. We Never use the back seats for passengers. Locked and protected Storage area.

Everything I put in the Tacoma back seat area fits in the Ranger. Maybe 4" less

Not pretty but I am a function over form kinda guy. Not entering any car shows....

20190423_190421.jpg

unnamed (20).jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: