Back seat doesn't fold flat Why?

rangermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (Ingot Silver)
I am trying to figure out a use case. i can put stuff in the seat and in the floor. why would i need a long flat space inside the truck?
When we looked at the Colorado we thought the split 60/40 with fully flat was nice. The lay flat back lets you put bigger things in the back than you can with the seat back up -- more usable space.

Some use cases:
- Place for the dog that is deeper than the seat and that keeps the seats in better shape for people.
- Place to put deeper boxes that you want to have locked up and out of the weather.
- The 60/40 is nice because it gives you the option to have some interior storage while carrying a third person.

I agree with one of the previous comments that it's a compromise you make when you pick the truck you want. I've decided the positives of the Ranger outweigh the negatives so I'm looking at buying the Ranger.
Sponsored

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Some use cases:
- Place for the dog that is deeper than the seat and that keeps the seats in better shape for people.
- Place to put deeper boxes that you want to have locked up and out of the weather.
- The 60/40 is nice because it gives you the option to have some interior storage while carrying a third person.
Ya, Those just wouldn't be considerations for me. I honestly would never put the seat down. it's one of the reasons why I chose the maximum usability of a longer bed. But. I can see wanting to lock up a massive box from time to time, but then I can't remember needing to lock up something of that dimension. The dog would get an easily removable and washable seat cover. And the 60/40 would never come into play.

I understand that others are using these more as a SUV type lifestyle vehicle so can understand the need for maximum flexibility. I just read a lot of teeth gnashing and wonder how much it would really get used.

rangermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (Ingot Silver)
Ya, Those just wouldn't be considerations for me. I honestly would never put the seat down. it's one of the reasons why I chose the maximum usability of a longer bed. But. I can see wanting to lock up a massive box from time to time, but then I can't remember needing to lock up something of that dimension. The dog would get an easily removable and washable seat cover. And the 60/40 would never come into play.

I understand that others are using these more as a SUV type lifestyle vehicle so can understand the need for maximum flexibility. I just read a lot of teeth gnashing and wonder how much it would really get used.
Yep, it's only one consideration of many in deciding on which truck to buy. For my uses I scored Colorado higher in four areas: usable interior cargo space, dual phones active with the bluetooth system, bumper step cutout for easier access to the truck bed, and available integrated trailer brake controller. I scored the Ranger higher in more important (to me) categories such as ride quality, transmission shifting, motor, available adaptive cruise control, and more.

So, while I appreciate what I feel to be a superior rear seat design in the Colorado I will be purchasing the Ranger because I feel it represents the best available combination of capabilities for my uses.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I am trying to figure out a use case. i can put stuff in the seat and in the floor. why would i need a long flat space inside the truck?
For me there is no where to put my dog box. Either the seat needs to fold up like the Ridgeline or gladiator or down like the Tacoma and GM. Even better if it did both. The 2021 Ranger will for sure.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
For me there is no where to put my dog box. Either the seat needs to fold up like the Ridgeline or gladiator or down like the Tacoma and GM. Even better if it did both. The 2021 Ranger will for sure.
Is there any tradeoff indesigning a seat that way? Like would the bottom of the seat be lowered? Our Rogue doesnt fold flat either and that actually was almost a showstopper when i brought a grill home.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with OP on this. It's like they overlooked the utilitarian value of back seats entirely. No storage under the seats. Back seat won't fold flat. These were not difficult things to overcome, they just couldn't just be arsed.

I also feel like they mailed-it-in with the bed. No power. No lighting. No tailgate assist. No step-up assist (for one of the tallest beds in the market). This isn't rocket science, it's industrial design. You don't get what you don't design for.

The rest of the truck is great. But they boned it in these two areas and all the kneejerk fanboy defending in the world doesn't fix that.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with OP on this. It's like they overlooked the utilitarian value of back seats entirely. No storage under the seats. Back seat won't fold flat. These were not difficult things to overcome, they just couldn't just be arsed.

I also feel like they mailed-it-in with the bed. No power. No lighting. No tailgate assist. No step-up assist (for one of the tallest beds in the market). This isn't rocket science, it's industrial design. You don't get what you don't design for.

The rest of the truck is great. But they boned it in these two areas and all the kneejerk fanboy defending in the world doesn't fix that.
I can't disagree at all. I think there were a lot of compromises made in this version of the NA Ranger - they wanted to get something out as quickly as possible. I'm hopeful that the next gen Ranger will address many of these small deficiencies.

I thought the backseat was going to be a bigger deal for me but it hasn't really been. While a fold flat/fold up with flat floor (like the F-150's) would have been really nice, in practice what I've got in the Ranger has worked well enough.

I still would like to have the option of a 6' bed with a crew cab. That is the biggest compromise I made when getting this Ranger. The depth of the bed coupled with a bed extender makes it less of a compromise, but it is still a compromise.
Sponsored