AVS Bug Deflector (photo)

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
I just ordered a Bugflector II after reading this. It is $50 on Amazon with prime shipping. I have about 10 rock chips on my hood so I'm going to touch up the paint best I can then install.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew
Occupation
Turbomachinery Engineer
For anyone interested, this is the AVS Bug Deflector. The OEM one does not have a lip to send bugs and crap over the roof. The AVS has a lip to direct stuff over the hood.I know a lot of people won't consider a bug deflector due to aesthetics. I have installed one on every truck and/or SUV I owned. When you see crap and bugs being lifted over the cab it becomes valuable.
unnamed14.jpg

unnamed (6).jpg
Is this the the AVS Bugflector #1 or the #2?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Is this the the AVS Bugflector #1 or the #2?
That's the Bugflector II. I did an install video on this exact deflector, so you can see more detail about how it looks and how to install it:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew
Occupation
Turbomachinery Engineer
That's the Bugflector II. I did an install video on this exact deflector, so you can see more detail about how it looks and how to install it:
Great video, sir. Thank you.

Now it's just a matter of convincing myself that the aesthetics are just as good with the deflector as without it.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

Now it's just a matter of convincing myself that the aesthetics are just as good with the deflector as without it.
It's all a matter of personal taste, of course. I happen to really like the way this looks on the truck. I'm happy to send over more pictures from different angles if you'd like to see something specific. Ultimately, remember it's YOUR truck, and you should do whatever you want to it. Good luck!

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

I agree.

One thing that really makes the Ranger look good is the chiseled bulges at the hood leading edge. Bug deflectors take that look away.

It's an aluminum hood. I figure I'll leave it, if the chips get bad enough... then install a deflector.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I agree.

One thing that really makes the Ranger look good is the chiseled bulges at the hood leading edge. Bug deflectors take that look away.

It's an aluminum hood. I figure I'll leave it, if the chips get bad enough... then install a deflector.
that's why I'm considering the hood protector. keeps the chiseled look (mostly).

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
that's why I'm considering the hood protector. keeps the chiseled look (mostly).
I'm surprised more folks don't have the clear 3M protective tape installed ? The entire front of the truck is painted.... why are folks only concerned with the hood?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm surprised more folks don't have the clear 3M protective tape installed ? The entire front of the truck is painted.... why are folks only concerned with the hood?
I did a DIY install of PPF on the entire front of the truck - minus the hood edge where I have the bug deflector. I did the lower bumper, upper bumper, grill, headlights, fog lights, rearview mirrors, A pillars, and front 6" of the roof. I probably bit off a little more than I could chew with this install, as it took me hours and has some slightly rough areas. The kit cost me $350ish... It was a pain to install, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $6-800 that a pro wanted to install it.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I did a DIY install of PPF on the entire front of the truck - minus the hood edge where I have the bug deflector. I did the lower bumper, upper bumper, grill, headlights, fog lights, rearview mirrors, A pillars, and front 6" of the roof. I probably bit off a little more than I could chew with this install, as it took me hours and has some slightly rough areas. The kit cost me $350ish... It was a pain to install, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $6-800 that a pro wanted to install it.
That's exactly why more people don't do it. $350 + hours of time + pain in the ass = I'll take my chances. It's intimidating and a lot of money wasted if you do it wrong.

I'd gladly pay an extra couple hundred dollars if it came installed from the factory that way, however.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'd gladly pay an extra couple hundred dollars if it came installed from the factory that way, however.
So much this, yes.

SuperBford

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
education
So if I want a deflector that doesn't use any type of tape on the paint, I need either the AVS Bugflector 2 or the OEM Ford... correct?

I'd love to do the 3M clear protection, but the cost is certainly prohibitive.. especially since I still want to get a hard Tonneau cover to install.
Sponsored