First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
so i ordered and got from amazon the avs bug deflecto ii. it mounts to the hood via 8 push puns and screws that they provide, and those attach through the weather stripping along the edge of the hood.

everything went well but i have some concerns after the install. I watched the video that was posted here in another thread but couldn't find a thread talking about this exact model and install besides his video.

the screws they give you don't seem to really tighten enough to keep the bug shield from moving if you push on the edge nearest the outside. there is very slight movement and you can see it with hood open. if you tighten the screws to a certain point, the rubber weather stripping starts to curl around the head of the screw. me thinks they should have provided a washer of sorts? is this "normal" for this install? a little movement? it seems solid though overall. i am guessing becasue they go into those insert things, they really don't get tight tight?? but they still do the job??

another concern arose after i was done. the hood closes just fine and i honestly didn't notice a difference from before i installed it. i did read where some people adjusted the latch. but i didn't want to go down that route unless i had to. i made it a point to test closing before i installed so it was in my recent memory.

but it closes fine. the concern was this: i locked the truck and heard two beeps versus the normal one. i started the truck up and it said hood ajar. even though the hood was closed.

so i popped the hood and closed it again, just like i did before, and the hood ajar went away. i popped it again, hood ajar lit up which is expected. closed hood, the message went away.

any ideas about that? i am hoping i am not going down the road and the hood ajar message comes on out of the blue? i never once started truck until i got the 2 beeps when locking it.

a final concern, is that the hood doesn't sit perfectly lined up with the frame/fenders of the front of the truck. the hood edge on the drivers side slightly overlaps the fender meanin it sits further out than the passenger side. i am pretty sure i noticed this when i waxed the truck and it wasn't a big deal to me, but after this install, i am just looking to rule ourt the bug deflector doing something to the hood. probably paranoia. but wanted to see iif anyone else had the same issue AFTER or BEFORE the avs bd II install.

thanks!!
Sponsored

Ruckus58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Maintenance
I installed the same deflector.

1. yeah the hardware is not the best but I went as tight as I could until it started to twist the rubber piece. I have had it on for about a month now going at all speeds and no concern with it coming off.

2. Closing the hood concerned me to I just make sure I give it a good push and no issues it is tighter now that the deflector is on but just give it a little extra when you close it.

3. I also noticed after the bug deflector install that my driver side hood doesn’t line up either I don’t think it was the deflector causing this I believe this is a issue brought up on another forum I read with thefenders not lining up

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Thanks! My son actually just got the same exact truck as me. Even same color. Lolol. Once he gets here I am going to see how his fender looks. I drove to town for groceries and no issues. Popped hood back home and closed again. No issues. It's actually easier to close hood now becssue before I avoided pushing on the hood paint and used the edge to close it. Now I push on the deflector about a foot up and it closes good. Same distance as before. So am happy. As far as the fasteners, I'd bet we can buy better ones that do better but hey, if it works I will keep it like it is.

Ruckus58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Maintenance
I believe there are some better fasteners on Amazon I don’t have the size off the top of my head.

so far I love mine I think it gives it a nice look too. I like the look of the stick ons but I get paranoid thinking it’s gonna fly off and smack the windshield

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
a final concern, is that the hood doesn't sit perfectly lined up with the frame/fenders of the front of the truck.....
There are many posts about hood to fender misalignment. So many that yours would be an oddity if the fender and hood are aligned properly.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Lol. Yes. I stumbled across some of them. I adjusted the fender and it's better. Not perfect. But better.
Sponsored