RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Has anyone tried and succeeded/failed, or know if it is possible to wire this kit up so ignition off folds the mirrors in? As I understand it the normal installation will only fold in when locking the truck (or with the button).

Reason for asking is I'd like them to fold automatically when parked in the garage where I would not normally lock the vehicle. I know the button can be used but that's somewhat defeating the purpose of automatic folding mirrors :)

I have the kit but not the truck so just preplanning I suppose. Not a huge deal but would like to do this if possible.
You would have to rig your own relay to trigger that when the ignition is off.
Sponsored

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
is there a link to this kit? I did not see where you all bough it...

Dahctor

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Never really found or heard a fix on it. I got into the low 30's last winter and never had it do that ever.
I think I can confirm that the module works perfect when started from the push button in the vehicle.

I haven't had enough warm weather to prove it's not a problem, however in cold weather on a remote start, the passenger side mirror doesn't open. Not sure if its intermittent or consistent as not enough data has been gathered.

This is a 2021 Lariat. Not sure if the year makes a difference.

Also when I installed it, I connected blue what I thought was brown line on gray, however the mirrors would not respond at all, so I moved it to another wire that I thought was initially orange line on gray, and now the mirrors fold in on vehicle stop. This has worked perfectly every time.

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Also when I installed it, I connected blue what I thought was brown line on gray, however the mirrors would not respond at all, so I moved it to another wire that I thought was initially orange line on gray, and now the mirrors fold in on vehicle stop. This has worked perfectly every time.
Does this mean the mirrors fold in when you turn the vehicle off? If so, can you let us know exactly which wire you connected to? Maybe a pic?

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
has anyone done a wire-by-wire pin out diagram or video? Mine in route and would like to see what the proper install is so I'm ready to go once it arrives.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok. have mine in hand, cloth tape delivered, add-a-tap enroute by amazon 1 day delivery. Been reading all your two wire connection tips..which is the way I will go and it seems like a fuse-redundancy to have the kits 5a fuse and the add-a-tap fuse. I'm thinking it will confuse the hell out of someone since auto circuits are not double fused. Anyone else delete the kits fuse block and solder it?
Plan on making a 20 minute go of it tomorrow and would like to hear from anyone with any other solid tips...

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. have mine in hand, cloth tape delivered, add-a-tap enroute by amazon 1 day delivery. Been reading all your two wire connection tips..which is the way I will go and it seems like a fuse-redundancy to have the kits 5a fuse and the add-a-tap fuse. I'm thinking it will confuse the hell out of someone since auto circuits are not double fused. Anyone else delete the kits fuse block and solder it?
Plan on making a 20 minute go of it tomorrow and would like to hear from anyone with any other solid tips...
Use a regular pair of slip-joint pliers to make the connection to the gray/brown wire with the T-tap. I used the same pliers to remove the itty-bitty fuse from the panel. Take your time when you go to close it all up....a lot of wires and the module makes the small space behind the vent panel a little tight. Check function before closing it up.
It really is an easy upgrade. Getting the vent panel off was the "hardest/stressful" part. Lovin' the mod though !!

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Use a regular pair of slip-joint pliers to make the connection to the gray/brown wire with the T-tap. I used the same pliers to remove the itty-bitty fuse from the panel. Take your time when you go to close it all up....a lot of wires and the module makes the small space behind the vent panel a little tight. Check function before closing it up.
It really is an easy upgrade. Getting the vent panel off was the "hardest/stressful" part. Lovin' the mod though !!
Can you confirm this is the unit: https://www.eagle4x4.com/product/ford-ranger-t6-t7-auto-folding-mirror-kit/

I'm on the fence since I have only folded my mirrors once in 2 months, but that's not the point :)

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Just installed mine this past Saturday afternoon. I kept the inline fuse and used an add-a-tap. Redundant I know but decided to leave it for one less splice. I shortened all the wires running down to the fuse panel area a bit since they're way longer than needed leaving enough to comfortably maneuver everything into place. The last thing I did was use the double sided tape on the back of the module to attach to the backside of the metal supportt under the steering column, wiping this area with isopropyl alcohol first.

Tested then closed everything up. This is an excellent addition!

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FINISHED!
A few random tips and misc. info..
I wanted to do the reach into dash and remove clip method but that was not going to happen with arthritis construction hands, so looked at OP's install pic of where pop-clips are on vent trim. There are [3] all on the right side. Wanted to make sure that I was prying/pulling the right area. [plastic trim pry bars]. I used some wire loom on the harness I had and taped it off with some good cloth tape. I really could not get the module in the area I wanted to use the 3m tape so I just wrapped it with some of the cloth tape to prevent any rattle. It's wedged in pretty good in the small cavity behind the power mirror control. Fished the wires down to the fuse panel. As one posted it was easier to pull the connection to find/splice clip into the grey/brn wire, tucked it in, plugged the connecter back and flipped the locking latch. Went to connect the add-a-tap I bought from Amazon [pk of 10] and wouldn't you know the #30 fuse is a mini! Guess what Jeff Bezos is getting back! :0 went to local parts store picked up a mini-tap...Back in business! Crimp/cloth tape and panel up and done! Tested works great!

Other that having the wrong tap 20 min is about right. I'm part of the 50+ club and i remember when all the fuses were glass-Buss type...the endless sizes of blade fuses never ceases to screw me on projects like these! :like:

Last edited:

catboxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
After going to Autozone and buying the wrong type/size of add a fuse, and then getting fed up with the vampire taps, I just directly soldered the connections. Took a little exacto knife and peeled off a small section of wire insulation and soldered directly and taped them back up. A little bit of a hack job, but the connection is never going to be an issue. Works great.

NavRanger21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX-4x4
Question,

My Ranger is an XL with STX trim. Does it need higher trim level mirrors for the module to work? I assume the mirror hand must have a motor to be in it to fold??
Sponsored