Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Pretty pointless in this day and age.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Due to my phone having unlimited and Verizon vs the Ranger having AT&T there was no point in hotspot

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I activate if I’m travelling into to US (from Canada) so all the kids can connect to it. I add the international plan to only my cell phone for the duration of the trip.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
I honestly didn’t understand the need for the fords hot spot. I just use my phone data which is unlimited and turn on its hot spot when the kids want to use it. Cell data in the phone is so relatively cheap - why pay for another data plan.

OP
OP
TICKLE ZOMBIE

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 2WD Sport
I did call Ford Customer Service and turns out they can do anything over the phone, fix tires, repair engines, apply wax, etc. EXCEPT turn on wifi hotspot SIM cards. :)

It's supposed to be an active feature of your truck, granted you can turn it off in the Sync settings if you so choose. I would suggest calling Ford's Customer Hotline and let them know your trucks Wifi isn't activated like it should be and that your dealer won't right the issue.

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
I signed up for the trial period then never used it.

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
I did call Ford Customer Service and turns out they can do anything over the phone, fix tires, repair engines, apply wax, etc. EXCEPT turn on wifi hotspot SIM cards. :)
….and to think I’ve been waxing manually like an idiot…:explode:

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Since i have a different carrier (Tmobile) I have the ATT hotspot so I can get broader coverage. 25 bucks a month isn't a whole lot - I just stopped drinking Starbucks as much as I used to. Works nicely and I get good strong signal at the hunting lease where my Tmo phone doesn't.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
We travel a lot, and use it all the time. We use our phones too, but they are not unlimited. Can do things on computer and tablets easier with it, and it sometimes has signal when phones don’t. Saves phone data for when truck is off. It was cheaper to have our phones and truck than 2 unlimited phone plans.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
100% of drivers already have a phone with hot spots...
uh 99%... I love my flip phone. it gets reception when everybody's "better" phone doesn't like 4 floors below ground. I didn't know these trucks had hot spots

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Never have. Never would.

My phone is a 5g wifi Hotspot. Why would I need one on the truck?

It's the most useless "feature" on a vehicle behind built in NAV.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I could never figure out who the hotspot is marketed at. People who don't have decent cel plans? Hot spot plans are an answer in search of a problem.
a dedicated hot spot could be useful for companies. as the company truck would allow a company laptop to connect online and get data.

yes a phone works for such arrangements but if the guy needs to phone for talking he can't be using it for a hot spot.

for old man home owner? yea I jsust dont see it.

for the record I hotspot my cell phone into my camper so we can get internet while camping. My 3 year old needs to settle down at night. and he isn't quite old enough to sit still outside by the fire. yet. and isn't quite old enough to run through the woods in the dark yet.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I just activated my trial plan. I moved out to a more rural area and there are parts here, including at my house, where cell service is terrible. It's been nice to have the wifi in the truck to make up for it. Not sure $20-25 per month is worth it though. Way too expensive IMO.
I think the WiFi is provided via cellular network. If you have crap cell service, the WiFi in the truck will suck, too.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I signed up for it when I got my Ranger (2019). We use AT&T for our cell phones, so the incremental cost wasn't that much - and it was a novelty. At the time, I was also doing pickup duty for our granddaughter, and it allowed her to use my iPad. We don't do pickup anymore, so I canceled it. But that was a task! It's billed thru our regular cell phone plan, but no one knew how to cancel it. Turns out there's a separate division (that I had forgotten about) that handles that. Took several hours to get that worked out.

JTMASS

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Advertising
I think the WiFi is provided via cellular network. If you have crap cell service, the WiFi in the truck will suck, too.
I can't say whether that's true or not but I can say that I have better connectivity with the truck wifi than with my cell on it's own. I've only used it a few times but it has helped. Maybe the antenna just does better on the truck than my phone?
Sponsored