Anyone else think the next gen trucks (4G ranger, new Taco, new Canyon) are WAY overpriced with crap gas milege ?

OP
OP
SSingh1975

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
['21 Ford Ranger XLT (Tremor) , BMW IX Electric
As far as price, inflation is hitting everyting hard and i think most of it is exaggerated, they are increasing profits way more than the cost of supplies...
hah..I have family members that are small business owners (automative and retail). The "inflation" excuse has been their best way of tripling their yearly profits since last year. They simply increase all the service rates and when customers question, the response is "omg..we totally understand but things are so expensive and so hard to source and employee wages are high". People take out their credit card and slide it without further question.

I'm waiting for someone here to post their new Ranger Raptor with a $70k markup price they paid for on a 5% apr financing for next 6 years ....for a mid size truck.
Sponsored

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
hah..I have family members that are small business owners (automative and retail). The "inflation" excuse has been their best way of tripling their yearly profits since last year. They simply increase all the service rates and when customers question, the response is "omg..we totally understand but things are so expensive and so hard to source and employee wages are high". People take out their credit card and slide it without further question.

I'm waiting for someone here to post their new Ranger Raptor with a $70k markup price they paid for on a 5% apr financing for next 6 years ....for a mid size truck.
this reminds me of food trucks. the whole point of them was to be a quick and affordable food option. then the fad started trending towards higher quality foods. more of a culinary experience than a fast food joint. that's when i noticed their prices skyrocketing. i just got a burger from a food truck at work... $13. don't get me wrong, it was tasty... but $13..... wtf. THE SIDE WASN'T INCLUDED. i had to pay $4 more for fries. so i got a burger and fries for $17.

like... these food trucks are matching restaurant prices (who dealt with inflation) despite the fact that their truck is far less expensive than the overhead of a restaurant. also, the sides are separate costs. why? because food trucks were always ala carte. they maintained that tradition, but kept jacking prices. so here we are. a burger and fries. $17.

food trucks -- way less stress than a restaurant, and it isn't uncommon to see 6-figure income owners.. i think we can see why.

i'm getting way off topic by now, but i'll bring it back. if you see a food truck/trailer being towed by a ranger raptor, or a TRD pro, you might as well unbuckle your drawers and bend over as you approach to order.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
this reminds me of food trucks. the whole point of them was to be a quick and affordable food option. then the fad started trending towards higher quality foods. more of a culinary experience than a fast food joint. that's when i noticed their prices skyrocketing. i just got a burger from a food truck at work... $13. don't get me wrong, it was tasty... but $13..... wtf. THE SIDE WASN'T INCLUDED. i had to pay $4 more for fries. so i got a burger and fries for $17.

like... these food trucks are matching restaurant prices (who dealt with inflation) despite the fact that their truck is far less expensive than the overhead of a restaurant. also, the sides are separate costs. why? because food trucks were always ala carte. they maintained that tradition, but kept jacking prices. so here we are. a burger and fries. $17.

food trucks -- way less stress than a restaurant, and it isn't uncommon to see 6-figure income owners.. i think we can see why.

i'm getting way off topic by now, but i'll bring it back. if you see a food truck/trailer being towed by a ranger raptor, or a TRD pro, you might as well unbuckle your drawers and bend over as you approach to order.
As I said before, we are a free market economy. If you don't like the prices don't buy. As long as some people, enough people are willing to pay the price this is way it will be.

I too have gotten very sick of the "COVID" and "supply chain issues" excuses. Put on top of that people not wanting to go back to work, so yes lower level jobs like service industry have had to raise pay to get employees. Employers have to pay higher wages, costs go up, prices go up, people want higher wages. That's the definition of the inflationary spiral. Been there before and its here now. Only it's worse for us this time because we are part of a global economy. The last time we were still a pretty much national economy. We have become a consumer nation instead of a producing nation. We drove our standard of living to the point we priced ourselves out of the world market. Why do you think all our companies produce their goods off shore. It's the only way they can compete in our own market.

I really need to get rid of this soap box I keep getting on. The problem is I wake up at night and think about these things and need to get then out. Or they will eat me up.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

I really need to get rid of this soap box I keep getting on. The problem is I wake up at night and think about these things and need to get then out. Or they will eat me up.
good to be on the soap box, my simple yet elegant evangelical thoughts are - $32 tril in debt for the US, at some point something has to change and it will change a good many things - including the ability to buy overpriced tricked out gas eating trucks. But could be wrong as there is always an excuse to borrow more money and kick that can.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
4G Ranger??? Um I traded a 23 year old one for a 5G. As far as 6G goes. To early to tell but WAY more expensive than the one I’m in now. At some point they will catch on that they’re asking far to much for them and an adjustment will happen with rebates and incentives.

If they really want to sell more build some quality back into again so we can feel our investments are worthwhile. ATM that’s not the case for many

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Honestly at doing truck things and some off-road stuff keep what you have. The tremor is the sweet spot and is very capable. I am kinda glad I have the current gen ranger. Outside of the 1080r transmission it's platform is solid with most of the bugs worked out. New car prices in general are getting out of hand period. It's getting ridiculous. People having 500-1000$ car payments 🤣🤣🤣

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Honestly at doing truck things and some off-road stuff keep what you have. The tremor is the sweet spot and is very capable. I am kinda glad I have the current gen ranger. Outside of the 1080r transmission it's platform is solid with most of the bugs worked out. New car prices in general are getting out of hand period. It's getting ridiculous. People having 500-1000$ car payments 🤣🤣🤣
oh... we gotta dream bigger than that.

car dealership was trying to make a video to show that people their car payments weren't actually all that high. kinda just underscored how stupid people are.

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
I was seriously considering getting a Ranger Raptor and I'm still on 2 dealers lists. But after my accident with my '19 I know have a '23 Lariat Tremor and I'm reconsidering it. So far I love this truck and it's really all I need. The Raptor would be nice but this one's now paid for and I really don't want to get into another loan at these high rates plus the crazy high sales tax and vehicle tax we have here along with insurance.

Like you said the prices are just stupid high now and then the gas mileage (not that you buy a truck or a Raptor for good gas mileage) are not getting any better. The ZR2 is really nice but you're looking at $52K-$55K and it's only getting 16 mpg! o_O Honestly I don't like the look of the 6G (except for the Raptor) and the only thing that "might" persuade me to jump over would be when the PHEV Ranger comes out. For now I don't see any real "must haves" that make me want to switch over to the 6G or any other manufacturers model.
I was doing only test drive with Raptor with no intention to upgrade my existing one.
What I can say, you can't compare 5G Ranger and 6G Raptor, they are absolutely different. Didn't find anything to complain about Raptor.
Yes, the price tag and MPG (talking about 3 litre engine). It's easy - take it or leave it. I'm planning to get mine, but like saying here sounds "smart don't rush".

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Funny. I got rid of my 02 F150 back in 21 to buy a new truck. At that time, keep fixing a 19 year old truck didn’t make any sense over buying a new truck - especially at .99% financing at MSRP (all Canadian dollars). But if I had to make that choice now with the interest rates and price increase I would have kept my F150 and fixed it cause it would have been less costly to due - even to do a complete overhaul.
But the allure of the Ranger at the time was it was just slightly over 40k for an XLT crew cab 4x4 and was still considerably less than an F150 XLT crew 4x4 by about 25k.
So at the expected pricing for next gen - way outside of my price range. So I guess that’s a yes - it’s overpriced for me and my comfort zone.

But it’s business for the companies — and like others have said - if there are people willing to pay why not charge that much. There really isn’t an alternative.

As far as 6g Ranger - I am in Dave’s camp. The look is not impressive except for the Raptor.

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
We've had overly cheap car prices for a long time in the USA. We are starting to see the prices go up and be more similar to what the rest of the world pays for cars. I dont think that trend is likely to change.

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
vanity and the desire for nice new things drives an interest in the next gen mid-sizes, for me.

good sense says that i should sit tight with my 5g ranger because:
- arguable better exterior styling
- an interior with components that are more than enough to get the job done
- a maintenance plan provided by Ford at no cost for the next 55k miles (i got lucky here)
- well over halfway paid off AND an interest rate at about 2.5% (untouchable right now)

the next gen mid size trucks look nice, but just don't seem to merit jumping from a truck that already has all of the above listed items. the range toppers like the raptor/trd pro/trailhunter are exceptions to this, but the prices are quite high.

i would really struggle to spend $55k+ on a midsize truck when that would pay for a very nice F-150 XLT, Tundra SR5, or Titan Pro-4X. Just my opinion and not trying to poo poo on anyone who might feel differently.

speaking of full size truck prices: local ford dealers are buried in f-150's. most are marked off $7,500-$10,000 right now. furthering my stance that i'd consider a full size over a range topping midsize.
Maybe it’s where I live but there’s no way you’re even sniffing a decent Tundra for $55k. Hell, the news of the V6 Taco going away has dealers marking them up substantially. A Toyota dealer by my house has a TRD Pro for $73k after a $15k markup! Just dumb. They’re also marking up the standard Tacomas and the Tundras see similar behavior. Toyota allocates trucks to dealers so there’s an abundance of buyers but not the same amount of supply.

But most of the Ford F-150s I see around here have no mark-up but likely sell at MSRP. The days of when a lot of us bought, there were decent incentives. No longer. I did see that Lightenings are getting a $10k markup though at $90k! :shock:

One thing to also consider are production levels that manufacturers are running at. I don’t have facts but it sure looks like less vehicles are being built overall and that may be on purpose. It’s more of a Just In Time approach where there won’t be a bunch of vehicles sitting around waiting for the end of the year deals.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Yeah, they are getting up in price, for sure. BUT consider that the XL trim 24 model automatically comes with the STX package and crew cab. And all the new interior bits along with LED lighting. So I guess it's kind of justified. But all of this makes me happy I got my 22. XL 2wd STX FX2 supercab, spray in bed liner. It's got everything I need and nothing I don't and I absolutely love it. Almost exactly 30 grand out the door. The new ones are starting at almost 35k and that would have busted my budget, unfortunately. But as far as the 2024 Rangers are concerned, it's Raptor or bust. And as for MPG, mine averages around 24.5 so that's not bad for a truck and a hell of a lot better than my old one. If fuel economy is a factor you may want to consider something else.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Yeah, they are getting up in price, for sure. BUT consider that the XL trim 24 model automatically comes with the STX package and crew cab. And all the new interior bits along with LED lighting. So I guess it's kind of justified. But all of this makes me happy I got my 22. XL 2wd STX FX2 supercab, spray in bed liner. It's got everything I need and nothing I don't and I absolutely love it. Almost exactly 30 grand out the door. The new ones are starting at almost 35k and that would have busted my budget, unfortunately. But as far as the 2024 Rangers are concerned, it's Raptor or bust. And as for MPG, mine averages around 24.5 so that's not bad for a truck and a hell of a lot better than my old one. If fuel economy is a factor you may want to consider something else.
I don't know how you ppl are getting 24.5MPG. I am 2WD FX2 and I can't get better than 17-18mpg average. I have a baby lift and LT ATM Hancooks. I will say my commute is 90% street and a lot of stop and go

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I paid 38K cash for my 21 XLT, does more than I need off road, flat tows behind my RV, my wife loves it almost as much as I do, so I have zero plans to replace it, they may have to bury me in it. I refuse to pay interest so if I can't pay for it outright I don't get it. We don't owe anyone anything and that's how I like it.

Last edited:

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I don't know how you ppl are getting 24.5MPG. I am 2WD FX2 and I can't get better than 17-18mpg average. I have a baby lift and LT ATM Hancooks. I will say my commute is 90% street and a lot of stop and go
Well, I'm stock on everything still, and I drive VERY conservatively (usually) and I have a mix of highway miles and city miles, mostly highway I'd have to say. For what it's worth, I've always used 93 octane. I have 10,500 miles so far and have had one service, so far, and got full synthetic oil. I don't know if that helps but that's my personal experience. I HAVE noticed that the MPG average on the trip settings always shows lower than the MPG average on the fuel economy setting. Average on trip setting is 23.7, average on fuel economy setting is 24.5 (today). I really barely press the go pedal most of the time. Every so often I'll hammer it where it is acceptable to do so but my speed on the highway rarely exceeds 70 mph.
Sponsored