Anyone else getting a lot of paint chips on their ranger?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
D
I also had an excessive amount of chips on the hood, took it into Ford Dealer they took pictures, submitted it to Ford and Ford repainted my hood. You should try it, worse case is they could say no. How many miles? mine has 23000 and is a 2019..
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I'm going to kick this thread like a dead horse because I bought an Aeroskin II mistakenly thinking it was the higher profile one that mounted using the pop rivets under the hood. I'm planning on keeping this truck until it or I die and I'm not eating all these vegetables to die anytime soon.

I'm concerned with what will be happening behind the shield on these that adhere to the hood directly with adhesive. I'd prefer to have a low profile unit that uses the existing rivets so that I can take it off once or twice a year to clean behind the protector. I really like the shape of the aeroskin and really don't like the shape of the bugflector - the model I thought was the aeroskin.

Does anyone have anything from any other manufacturers that looks a little less 1990's that doesn't use sticky tape to adhere to my beautiful paint job?

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm going to kick this thread like a dead horse because I bought an Aeroskin II mistakenly thinking it was the higher profile one that mounted using the pop rivets under the hood. I'm planning on keeping this truck until it or I die and I'm not eating all these vegetables to die anytime soon.

I'm concerned with what will be happening behind the shield on these that adhere to the hood directly with adhesive. I'd prefer to have a low profile unit that uses the existing rivets so that I can take it off once or twice a year to clean behind the protector. I really like the shape of the aeroskin and really don't like the shape of the bugflector - the model I thought was the aeroskin.

Does anyone have anything from any other manufacturers that looks a little less 1990's that doesn't use sticky tape to adhere to my beautiful paint job?
AVS II uses the existing rivets but may stick up more than you like.

AVS II.jpg

bug deflector.jpg

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
After reading similar threads about paint chips I tried to take a proactive approach and install rockbloks xl mud flaps / aeroskin hood protector. I do have a handful of chips on the lower doors from the general's throwing stones before I installed the flaps. . Also surprised I have some chips in weird spots like on either side of the bed just behind the cab. Kinda on the corner in the gas fill location on each side. .no idea how that happend. I did purchase a carbonized gray & magnetic gray touch up pen

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
After reading similar threads about paint chips I tried to take a proactive approach and install rockbloks xl mud flaps / aeroskin hood protector. I do have a handful of chips on the lower doors from the general's throwing stones before I installed the flaps. . Also surprised I have some chips in weird spots like on either side of the bed just behind the cab. Kinda on the corner in the gas fill location on each side. .no idea how that happend. I did purchase a carbonized gray & magnetic gray touch up pen
Where did you get the pen?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yes, lots of paint chils! Whatever you do do not look hard at the paint or it will chip! But yes, I have lots of paint chips.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Glad I had xpel installed almost 8k and still chip free

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Suspect this chipping is due to the "new" emissions formula and/or the water based paint that is required to meet current regulations. Also suspect the chipping is why Ford is offering the 3M clear plastic covering as an option on several of its vehicles (around $400 I think).

I had this plastic film on a Volvo XC90 and there were NO chips in 80K miles. I live 6 miles from the highway - all gravel. The tongue in cheek comment in WY is "A windshield a year" just due to rock chips. Still no chips on the Volvo although it required two new windshields in the five years I owned it.
Sponsored