Anyone else getting a lot of paint chips on their ranger?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I drive around enough work trucks on the highway I should have a ton, but really not much. I wonder if geography and weather plays into this. I am considering the AVS hood protector since it's cheap and good looking ($70).

They advertise but are out of some with built in marker lights.
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Hi Paul,

Someone here mentioned they thought Ford switched to waterbased paint...wonder if that is a legacy of waterbased paint? When I retired they were trying much lower organic based solvent paints. Waterbased at that time had serious orange-peel issues. My clearcoat seems to be working okay on my 2019 Ranger.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Good point Phil,

It would be interesting to learn the exact issue on the 5Gen paint and if it is or is not a good standard quality? It seemed that the outside edges on my two front doors chipped too easily when I accidently opened them on some objects inside my garage. Again, the 2011 Ranger had very endurable paint.
20200523_165243.jpg
paint.

Regards,
Paul

20200523_165335.jpg

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
I put a bug deflector on right away.
Mine is also lower doors like the other guy said.
I installed a bug deflector as well; immediately after getting a chip on the leading edge of my hood.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am considering a bug deflector. Can you guys post pictures of your deflectors to see what they look like?

Thanks.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Last winter was fairly uneventful for me with a lack of snowy roads and anti skid. Yet my bed side lower front edge looked like the truck had 100k miles and not the 10k it actually had. I had my share of hood chips and door edges too. This winter has been much worse and I get peppered with anti skid daily. Can't wait until I get time to look over this thing when it's nice out and see all the chips. I put the RB20 boards on last year and still got chips on the side of the truck. Aside from putting a 4x8 sheet of plywood for front splash guards, I don't know what would stop it. The paint quality is seriously enough to make me not recommend a Ranger and I otherwise love this truck.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The biggest issue with paint on new vehicles is that the new laws around VOC and other stuff makes the paint a lot worse than it used to be. We're back in the same place everyone was after they stopped with lead. Nothing works like it used to and they're still figuring it out.

I used to think I'd keep this truck for 100k+ miles, now that I drive it with all these electronics I don't see that happening. So maybe in 2-3 years they'll have the paint figured out, and a manual transmission, and I'll upgrade.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The biggest issue with paint on new vehicles is that the new laws around VOC and other stuff makes the paint a lot worse than it used to be. We're back in the same place everyone was after they stopped with lead. Nothing works like it used to and they're still figuring it out.

I used to think I'd keep this truck for 100k+ miles, now that I drive it with all these electronics I don't see that happening. So maybe in 2-3 years they'll have the paint figured out, and a manual transmission, and I'll upgrade.
Rich,
I still have about 2.5 years original warranty left. My thinking is that I will drive the Truck for awhile and see if it picks up any chips anywhere on the outer painted surface. Will be going on a trip to Arizona this coming summer which will be a good test for this considering how the big rigs consistently kick up rocks out from their tires on the interstate. If there are serious issues with chips, I will check with Ford to see if they have established a faulty paint issue by then and if so try get a repaint from the existing warranty. In the meantime will probably get a bug deflector.

Paul

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Well this thread made me do it.. Made an appt to get PPF installed partial front/mirrors and down the sides 8 inch coverage, door cups and edges 1350
Damn. I can't find a quote for less than ~$2k for similar coverage around here.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Is the hood aluminum? It chips and dents so easy.
The hood is aluminum. I have not had any dents, however I have had a few chips.

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger super crew Lariat
Occupation
retired
I installed a bug deflector immediately, and also had 3M protective clear shield installed on the hood, rockers, mirrors, tailgate, door edges, inner door handles, sill plates, etc.. I have however managed to get a chip on my roof, heard the rock hit - checked after and there's a chip.
I just order an AVS Bugflector II, I like the idea of the protective shield in the more vulnerable areas. Is that a DIY project or is it best to have a pro do it?