Anyone added additional headliner sound deadener?

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Was driving in heavy rain earlier and could not carry on a conversation because it was so loud inside the truck. I thought it was hail, but nope just big ole rain drops. First time actually in a real rain storm while driving the Ranger. Actually gave me a headache it was so loud. Anyone added dynamat to the roof skin and had good results for sound deadening?
Sponsored

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
following interesting question

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Taking down the headliner without damage so you could apply soundproofing seems like a delicate operation.

Granted the dealer replaced the defective roof trim in my truck with no visible damage but getting the whole thing out well enough to get the roof looks difficult.

I know what you mean about a hard rain on the roof though. The 5G could really use additional (that means extra weight if course) sound deadening.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Seems like the occurrence is so rare for you that a pair of ear plugs stashed in the console would be a lot cheaper. I’ve driven in heavy rain many times and have not noticed this as an issue.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Was driving in heavy rain earlier and could not carry on a conversation because it was so loud inside the truck. I thought it was hail, but nope just big ole rain drops. First time actually in a real rain storm while driving the Ranger. Actually gave me a headache it was so loud. Anyone added dynamat to the roof skin and had good results for sound deadening?
You drive a 4WD Tremor .
Quite doesn't fit the image,lol.

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I have looked and haven't found any good videos or detailed explanations on removing the headliner either. Everything is just getting the edges loose. That's a huge area of mostly flat metal that I'm sure would benefit from some sound deadening material. I know it helped a lot on my 99 Ranger.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Didnt the 2019's come with sound deadening and it was removed MY20?

I had been in heavy rain with mine before, but I cant compare to your experience and I didnt feel it was any louder than other vehicles I've driven.

I'm with the suggestion to wear earplugs when the rare occurrence happens again.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Good thing ya all weren't around in the 60's to 70's and earlier......no headliners except a piece of colored cardboard. Some earlier didn't even have that, just bare painted metal.
Sound deadening and insulation wasn't even a thought back then.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My '19 was much quieter than my '23. We just went through a couple nasty storms out here in WY & MT and I thought the roof was going to be dented. It was so loud inside the cab we I swear there's nothing up there now but the headliner! Luckily this won't be much of an issue once I'm back home since we get very little storms like this. :oops:

1686493068169.jpeg

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Good thing ya all weren't around in the 60's to 70's and earlier......no headliners except a piece of colored cardboard. Some earlier didn't even have that, just bare painted metal.
And I'm sure you would love to go back to those days of rough rides, loud interiors, no A/C, poor safety. The cars sure looked good and were simpler but that doesn't mean they were better.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Another win for the 19!:dance:

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
My Ranger XLT is a '21 and I haven't noticed any noise issues with heavy rain. As to whether or not insulation was removed; I don't have a clue. :sunglasses:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Well while true we could have survived a nuclear blast hiding in our refrigerator that had a longer life expectancy than a mule. 😁

The vehicles then were heavy, man πŸ₯΄

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Well while true we could have survived a nuclear blast hiding in our refrigerator that had a longer life expectancy than a mule. 😁

The vehicles then were heavy, man πŸ₯΄
Maybe, but when you bought one you could expect it to last. Unless really abused it, a 351, 350, or 318/383 would go for hundreds of thousands of miles. We didn't worry about tranny's going out at 60,000 miles. And you could fix just about anything in your own garage or driveway...hand tools, no computer needed.
You could do a complete tune up and oil/filter change for around $30 bucks, and no one who used their truck complained about the
"Truckish Ride"....when you bought a truck you didn't expect it to ride like a Caddy.
Bout the only thing that was a regular occurrence was rust, but then you could unbolt and replace just about every panel for just a few bucks.
No one who used their truck as a "truck" would ever consider putting custom wheels on it....maybe Baby Moons and Trim Rings....they were about as "custom" as you'd want.
Sponsored