Sound Deadening

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I ordered sound deadening material along with closed cell foam to line the doors to cut down on both speaker vibrations in the doors as well as outside noise.

I’ll post pictures of the install once I find a diagram on how to remove the door panels without damage.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
I ordered 80mm sound deadening material along with 120mm CCF to line the doors to cut down on both speaker vibrations in the doors as well as outside noise.

I’ll post pictures of the install once I find a diagram on how to remove the door panels without damage.
Looking forward to this. Initial reviews generally praised it as quiet, but it's actually quite a bit louder than I expected.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
My experience has been the Lariat is very quiet. And noticeably more quiet for me after installing tonneau cover. Made a noticeable difference.
I'm still choosing a tonneau, so I hope it helps, but I'm not really happy with the Lariat, it seems like there's a ton of road noise from the rear.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still choosing a tonneau, so I hope it helps, but I'm not really happy with the Lariat, it seems like there's a ton of road noise from the rear.
Anyone that's ridden in mine says how quiet it is compared to other vehicles. I agree too, dad's 2015 F-150 has a lot more road noise.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
The road noise from the rear of my SuperCrew was noticeable only because the front was so quiet. Kinda hard to explain but i could hear a bit of a whoosh behind me (as the driver). It seems to have gone away with my BakFlip MX4 installed. In my case I don’t think there was a bad seal or insulation. I think it was just air circulating in the bed?

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
The road noise from the rear of my SuperCrew was noticeable only because the front was so quiet. Kinda hard to explain but i could hear a bit of a whoosh behind me (as the driver). It seems to have gone away with my BakFlip MX4 installed. In my case I don’t think there was a bad seal or insulation. I think it was just air circulating in the bed?
Good to know, I’ll be getting a cover shortly. The front is definitely well deadened, but there’s obviously turbulence in the rear.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All four doors and behind the back seat have been covered in Butyl and a layer of CCF. Absolutely worth the effort... the cabin is exceptionally isolated from outside noise and the SPL of the door speakers has improved as well. The bass is clean and punchy, mids are now actual mids and not rattles and mush.
9D881346-B95F-4D04-8185-EA1D0D12D04C.jpeg

^ after 80 Butyl
027686F9-4826-402F-AC5C-5EA212260095.jpeg

^ after 170 CCF

4A082574-0114-4A93-9BAB-27B89B08DC82.jpeg

^ after isolating a few of the vibration prone sections.

I also put a few sections on the door panels themselves to keep the vibrations down and a small section of CCF in the door handle to get rid of the crunch plastic sound when you grab the handle.

Solid door closure also puts a smile on my face. It’s like a whole different truck now.. and I thought it was quiet stock.

Last edited:

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered 80mm sound deadening material along with 120mm CCF to line the doors to cut down on both speaker vibrations in the doors as well as outside noise.

Where did you get the materials, how much did you get/use and what was the cost ? I might be interested in doing this to mine, if it ever gets here...22 days.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you get the materials, how much did you get/use and what was the cost ? I might be interested in doing this to mine, if it ever gets here...22 days.
I used the brand called Noico and you can get it off amazon. I bought 36 sq ft of both the sound dampening material and the closed cell foam and it was just enough. The cost was $65 for the butyl and $49 for the CCF. You will want a $10 roller to help apply the material but it is a really easy to work with product. If you are applying it under 55* you will want a heat gun to keep it pliable and flexible. It took me about 6 hours to do as well.

RJohans

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 Supercrew Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
Any trouble/issues getting the door panels off and on?

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any trouble/issues getting the door panels off and on?
No it was pretty easy. Just two screws behind the handle trim, one behind the door opening mech, and two on the bottom. Then you pry the push pins out and lift up/out.

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
Wish someone would check Db meter readings before and after a job like this over same road and speed. I switched from run flats to non-RFs on my car. Checked a Db meter before and after. Was surprised the sound changed by less than 1 Db. Curious the true effect of sound deadening in the Ranger. Do you think the floor will need some material?
Sponsored