Anyone added additional headliner sound deadener?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Maybe, but when you bought one you could expect it to last. Unless really abused it, a 351, 350, or 318/383 would go for hundreds of thousands of miles. We didn't worry about tranny's going out at 60,000 miles. And you could fix just about anything in your own garage or driveway...hand tools, no computer needed.
You could do a complete tune up and oil/filter change for around $30 bucks, and no one who used their truck complained about the
"Truckish Ride"....when you bought a truck you didn't expect it to ride like a Caddy.
Bout the only thing that was a regular occurrence was rust, but then you could unbolt and replace just about every panel for just a few bucks.
No one who used their truck as a "truck" would ever consider putting custom wheels on it....maybe Baby Moons and Trim Rings....they were about as "custom" as you'd want.
those were the days. customs then were built not ordered and installed. back when all people were tucking was a shirt tail. the women were all OEM gals, and not after market Frankensteins.
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I've played with the idea of color-matched bed liner applied to the roof. Not as good as deadening material but will help a little.

To me, the headliner seems like it'll be damaged easily during removal and not worth it.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i have noticed my 5g ranger is louder inside for road noise. wind, rain, car wash and so on vs. the old 4g. when its a hot sunny summer day i can feel the suns heat coming in the 5g via the roof. im assuming that better head liner insulation was yet another one of the things ford removed from the later 5g trucks.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
I think the headliner would be a mother to get out/in without damage, not to mention what else has to come out to ge it out. (Ftont seats etc). But I bet it would make the ride quieter. Worth the effort and risk? not for me.

Just my 2c

LB

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Yeah, I just took a good look at what would have to be removed just to lower it down enough to access and disconnect wiring, ect...than remove the front seats, and then hope to remove it without damage....
Wear ear plugs when it rains !!!
You could, if you feel brave enough, lower a small area on either side and spray some "spray foam via an aerosol can with the straw attachment...the stuff used to seal gaps/holes. Don't know how you would be able to measure the layer thickness or coverage...

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe, but when you bought one you could expect it to last. Unless really abused it, a 351, 350, or 318/383 would go for hundreds of thousands of miles. We didn't worry about tranny's going out at 60,000 miles.
I agree with the rest of this post but had to laugh out loud at the first part . I remember 50k needing to be rebuilt for the most part and transmissions slightly more. Maybe everyone I knew back then abused the crap outta them,lol.

We won't even talk about interiors falling apart by the time the loan was paid off.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My Ranger XLT is a '21 and I haven't noticed any noise issues with heavy rain. As to whether or not insulation was removed; I don't have a clue. :sunglasses:
All I can hear in heavy rain are the high speed slapping wipers...

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
You drive a 4WD Tremor .
Quite doesn't fit the image,lol.
Thats not not true, lol

I guess I was spoiled with the Colorado ZR2 I had prior on the sound deadening aspect.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've taken out headliners before... It's not that difficult. Normally held on by the rubber trim, handles, lights, etc. Not sure why you'd need to pull the seats though.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Another no delete 2019 for the win, Ha Ha.

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
took the 5g to the beaver hut carwash saturday. the air dry part literally made the headliner visibly shake. my sunglasses rattled around in the holder etc... it did not inspire trust in the roofs strength.

Phantomfixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX 4
Driving through an afternoon Florida thunderstorm makes carrying on a conversation or listening to music next to impossible.I've had way too many vehicles in my life but I can honestly say the noise from the roof in these trucks is beyond intense and borders on scary

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
Put Dynamat on the roof in my 2000 F150 Lightning, BEST and COOLEST thing I ever did to it. Knock on the roof and it was solid.

Since it was a regular cab, I just took out the whole interior while I upgraded the stereo. Then did dynamat everywhere I could put it. Dead quiet and could barely the boost at WOT.

I think I have a pic somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
Sponsored