got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Truxedo Elevate rack system. No drilling required
How does the tonneau cover work with that, is it part of the Truxedo? If not, what model is the cover?
Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
How does the tonneau cover work with that, is it part of the Truxedo? If not, what model is the cover?
I have the Truxedo LoPro roll up cover. The racks fit in the t-slot channels and the t-slot channels clamp with the tonneau cover mounts to the inner side rails of the bed. Picture shows where tonneau cover rails would clamp. There several other makes of tonneau covers that work with this setup. Just cant find the list to share

IMG_9101.jpeg

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I do prefer having it sit on lengthwise bunks ( as my main kayak does currently)

But sitting on crossbars under its own weight shouldn't deform it for travel.

I had welded up prior kayak trailer from a Craigslist special I found while in college and had 1" square tubing wrapped in pool noodles. Had an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT and a Wilderness systems Ride 115X ( closest thing I've ever owned to approaching Hobie weights ) that lived on the trailer for 10 years when not on the river / in the Gulf and it never deformed in central AL summers.

Biggest issue I see is people using ratchet straps and cranking down, it's just too easy to crank it " just one more time". I prefer to use regular cambuckle straps and just pull them hand tight.
The Hobie manual states that they want it stored upside down. I agree that it may not be needed. I would not mind getting a PWC trailer though. Then I could just back it in the water at the launch ramp. I can't do that with my Harbor Freight trailer.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I use a hitch extender for the bed for my 12ft Hobie and it is a PIA to load unload and get down to the water I love the trailer idea - so much easier than loading / unloading to move it to water about 80 lbs and bulky with no real hand holds on it - little trailer is the way to go if you can

IMG_1795.jpeg

joeduran3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
With my previous 2004 Ranger, and this 2021 I have, I usually just load My kayak in the bed (no trailer) and strap it in. Just wondering what other options/ideas there are out there. I'm going to keep it in the bed though, not really interested in any kind of roof rack. How about you?
FB_IMG_1702149516027.jpg
I throw my 10.5 ft kayak in the bed like you, but I use a Harbor Freight trailer for my other kayak (it's heavier). Trailer makes it easier to launch and load if there's a ramp.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I throw mine in the bed occasionally... but this is the best thing I've ever done.

I have 3 kayaks and we regularly do floats. It's so much easier throwing the boats on the trailer fully loaded with gear than stripping down the boats to squeeze two in the bed.

Found a like new galvanized PWC trailer on FB marketplace for $500.

Originally just mounted the bunks horizontally across the trailer, but eventually added a ladder rack so I could carry 4.

20240110_080103.jpg

20240110_080054.jpg

20240110_080122.jpg
wow I like that! I looked and never found one except new that is perfect! so much easier than the bed extender I use.

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
Glad I found this thread! We have a 14.5’ kayak that I’ve tried to figure out how to load. It’s way too long in the Ranger bed. When I had a Chevy Avalanche I put it on the roof rack.

IMG_3361_Original.jpeg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I just scored a couple of used Wilderness Systems Pungos for cheeeep (a 140 and a 120). We had been considering other (smaller/lighter) boats, but really couldn't pass up the deal. The 140 needs a little TLC because it's been used kinda hard, but nothing crazy. Worst part is that the bulkheads need resealing. Couldn't pass on the price, though, so still worth it. This is how I got them home today. Worked well enough that I don't see a huge reason to do much different.

53490643977_50d6a1ec73.jpg

We've exclusively paddled canoes for years but manhandling a 16ft canoe is a chore. And our particular boat does NOT paddle solo well at all (I've tried it). So getting 2 solo kayaks will definitely help with that. I still like open boats, though, so I might still wind up with a smaller, lighter one later. Plus I've got a couple really nice canoe paddles I have no intention of selling with the canoe (but have a couple cheaper ones that I got with the boat and will leave with the boat when I find a buyer).