Any drone operators on the forums?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at picking up a drone for some video and photography. I have been looking at the DJI Mavic Mini 2, as that seems to have the best cost and reviews. I would like any input anyone has though.

Do you recommend the Mini 2? Do you recommend something else? This will be for hobby and for fun, so I can't drop $1000+... The Mini 2 is sold for $429 with 2 batteries, SD card, controller, and drone (duh).

Thanks.
-B
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Not so much the drones but the cameras are going to be where the price point really comes in. If you can get a machine big enough to carry a GoPro then you will be pleased with the video. Even 1080P isn’t bad but when you get to the 4K resolution it gets fun and fast. We have a drone that has a gimble setup with a GoPro on it. Has the tracking module so where ever we go it follows. Great for all kinds of action shots.

My suggestion is get a cheap one and learn how to fly it. Just make sure it has replacement parts available. Then as you get better at it invest in better equipment. That way you don’t pay a small fortune to repair the expensive one after you crash it a few times.

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Not so much the drones but the cameras are going to be where the price point really comes in. If you can get a machine big enough to carry a GoPro then you will be pleased with the video. Even 1080P isn’t bad but when you get to the 4K resolution it gets fun and fast. We have a drone that has a gimble setup with a GoPro on it. Has the tracking module so where ever we go it follows. Great for all kinds of action shots.

My suggestion is get a cheap one and learn how to fly it. Just make sure it has replacement parts available. Then as you get better at it invest in better equipment. That way you don’t pay a small fortune to repair the expensive one after you crash it a few times.
That was definitely the plan. The Mini 2 is to get started, though it is 4k capable. I have a very nice camera (EOS RP) for stills, but...obviously, I can't fly... I'd also like to experiment with video capture. From what I have read, the Mini 2 is a great place to start.

What drone are you running that can use the Go Pro? I have a Session and a 7 Black.

Reactions: Doc

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I have the Mavic Pro 2, worked my way up from the first DJI Phantom 1. Have my FCC Part 107 Cert. The Mini 2 is a very nice beginner drone, and the camera isn't bad. DJI had a issue with jello effect at one time but that has been corrected for the most part. The mini 2 is the best drone you can get for under $500 IMO. You cannot use a go pro as the camera is intergrated into both the air frame and flight systems.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
One nice thing about the mini is you don't have to register it - it is under the 250g limit.

I've had a mini (a mini 1, not the mini 2) for almost 2 years now. I don't fly it a ton, but it I use it for aerial photography when I go hiking. It is so small it fits in my pack well.

One suggestion - get the fly more pack - it is bargain for the extra batteries alone. Having multiple batteries is really nice.

Another suggestion - make sure you have practiced quite a bit in an OPEN area before you get into more challenging/closed in areas where your drone might impact a tree. A mini has some obstacle avoidance but not nearly as much as the higher end drones do.

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
One nice thing about the mini is you don't have to register it - it is under the 250g limit.
This is a big selling point for me. I don't want to get a license if I won't end up flying a lot.

RedlandRanger said:
I've had a mini (a mini 1, not the mini 2) for almost 2 years now. I don't fly it a ton, but it I use it for aerial photography when I go hiking. It is so small it fits in my pack well.
This is a secondary use. I definitely want it to be compact enough to carry with my RP.

RedlandRanger said:
One suggestion - get the fly more pack - it is bargain for the extra batteries alone. Having multiple batteries is really nice.
Costco has a kit for $429 that has enough things to get me started. I can get a 3rd battery and the replacement blades for less than the FlyMore kit.

RedlandRanger said:
Another suggestion - make sure you have practiced quite a bit in an OPEN area before you get into more challenging/closed in areas where your drone might impact a tree. A mini has some obstacle avoidance but not nearly as much as the higher end drones do.
This is definitely going to happen for me. I don't want to crash my expensive investment. ha!

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mavic Pro 2, worked my way up from the first DJI. Have my FCC Part 107 Cert. The Mini 2 is a very nice beginner drone, and the camera isn't bad. DJI had a issue with jello effect at one time but that has been corrected for the most part. The mini 2 is the best drone you can get for under $500 IMO. You cannot use a go pro as the camera is intergrated into both the air frame and flight systems.
This drone would be used 'as-is' as far as camera and equipment. Best drone under $500 is what I have heard a lot. Sounds like this will be my choice. I wish it had tracking, so I could set it and drive my truck, but I understand this feature comes at a higher cost.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This drone would be used 'as-is' as far as camera and equipment. Best drone under $500 is what I have heard a lot. Sounds like this will be my choice. I wish it had tracking, so I could set it and drive my truck, but I understand this feature comes at a higher cost.
Yes, you would need to move up a model for the 'Follow Me' feature, The mini does have 'tracking' as in last known gps location, auto return to home, and following along on the phone map display via both overview map and camera view.

Reactions: Doc

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is a big selling point for me. I don't want to get a license if I won't end up flying a lot.

This is a secondary use. I definitely want it to be compact enough to carry with my RP.

Costco has a kit for $429 that has enough things to get me started. I can get a 3rd battery and the replacement blades for less than the FlyMore kit.

This is definitely going to happen for me. I don't want to crash my expensive investment. ha!
When I was learning I used a local park field to practice control and on-the-fly settings. I only had one serious crash, I was NOE (nap-of-the-earth), read very low, going 35 mph and couldn't see a guy wire, clipped it and did a few 360's and bit the dust. Lost 2 props and the battery popped out.

Kevin Woodc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G
Occupation
Officer
I also use this DJI Mavic Mini 2 for photography. It's a great drone under 500. As i know for drone photography and video mini 2 premium quality drone with impressive camera and flight performance.

Last edited:

Cms3717

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat, Black With Sports Package
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer (automotive)
Get the Mavic mini 2, I have a Mavic 2 pro, the new mini 2 is just as capable for 90% of users. Anyone talking about getting anything else and using a "go pro"... Please disregard them COMPLETELY.

After owning you'll understand. It's not even a conversation to be had:/

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Drone shot

Well - my wife, @UnregistredHypercam2, and @Nopalito went in and got me a DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro for my birthday. The link above is a quick video I did. Still learning how to work it and... I have a lot to learn. This is going to be fun.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Drone shot

Well - my wife, @UnregistredHypercam2, and @Nopalito went in and got me a DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro for my birthday. The link above is a quick video I did. Still learning how to work it and... I have a lot to learn. This is going to be fun.
Nice! The Mini 3 is new, and has some great features. I love my Mavic 2 Pro, especially the auto fly modes and 360 object avoidance which lets me pay more attention to filming. Have fun!

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! The Mini 3 is new, and has some great features. I love my Mavic 2 Pro, especially the auto fly modes and 360 object avoidance which lets me pay more attention to filming. Have fun!
This is the Mini 3 Pro, so it has obstacle avoidance. I'm stoked to get out on the actual trails.

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst
This is the Mini 3 Pro, so it has obstacle avoidance. I'm stoked to get out on the actual trails.
For sure don't rely on that, ask both my Minis how it turned out for them lol
Sponsored