tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I've got a home wiring question for all you Electricians or anyone experienced in wiring some track lighting into a ceiling. I purchased a 3 mini light L.e.d track lighting kit at Home Depot for my storage room and tried to install it over the weekend.. When I removed the old light from the ceiling to my suprise there was no junction box in the ceiling, just the exisiting light wired to the romex cable with some wire connectors and tape. So off to Home depot I went to purchase a round plastic old work electrical box.

Ok so now to my question: My home was built in the late 50’s and it only has white and black wires in the romex cable, there is no copper ground wire.. There is no ground screw on the plastic junction box either for a ground wire. But on the mounting bracket of the track lighting kit there is a white, black and a loose green ground wire. What do I do with that green wire? I feel like ive been here before and just capped it off but its been years since ive done any electrical work and I’m now out of the loop. What do I do with the green ground wire? If anyone can help I’d greatly appreciate your input.. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
From the Interweb, I'm not an electrician, with that being said looks like you don't need to ground it, just became a safety feature in the 60's.

Homes built prior to the 1960s did not require you to include a ground wire when installing electrical circuits. In fact, the ground wire is not necessary to complete the circuit; however, the ground wire acts as a safety net in the event of an electrical short. When a short occurs, the ground wire sends an almost instantaneous signal to turn off the breaker to stop the flow of electricity. You can add a ground wire to your electrical box in the ceiling for an extra measure of safety when replacing a ceiling light.

OP
OP
tgRanger

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From the Interweb, I'm not an electrician, with that being said looks like you don't need to ground it, just became a safety feature in the 60's.

Homes built prior to the 1960s did not require you to include a ground wire when installing electrical circuits. In fact, the ground wire is not necessary to complete the circuit; however, the ground wire acts as a safety net in the event of an electrical short. When a short occurs, the ground wire sends an almost instantaneous signal to turn off the breaker to stop the flow of electricity. You can add a ground wire to your electrical box in the ceiling for an extra measure of safety when replacing a ceiling light.
Thank you for your reply.. this is the electrical box I picked up. It has no green screw or anywhere metal I would attach the green ground wire to. Thats why I’m wondering if i just cap it off In my case.
408FBC92-71F7-414C-A291-3BFD73FA56DE.jpeg

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
That is what I'm saying, cap it and don't worry about it, again not an Electrician but if my house I would just leave it capped "green wire". It's just a safety measure that is required by law since the 60's.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, the ground wire is common to the white wire back in the panel. When my house was built the electrician was very sloppy. I have the white neutral and green ground wires intermingled on the two buss bars in the panel. But as the primary panel the ground and neutral buss bars are connected anyway. It's only when you install a sub-panel that the electrical code requires that the neutral and ground buss bars not be connected (the panel manufactures make it easy with a removable screw). The code wants the neutral and ground to only be connected at the main panel.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
With no junction box sounds like that light was an add-on at some pint. I grew up wiring houses with my contractor Dad, and saw many homes without a separate ground, just the bonded neutral. Not required in your house due to age, you can just cut off the ground wire or cap it, your choice as it just goes to the case of the light so not part of the circuit.

OP
OP
tgRanger

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel a lot more comfortable doing the install now.

@JesseS
I believe your correct. It looks like it was moved when a master bath was added. Would you happen to remember how much wire needs to stick outside the junction box. Is it 6”?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
6” of extra is plenty. As others have said the green ground wire is for modern installations. On older homes it was not an option.

My son and daughter just bought a home that was built in the 1950’s had all the wiring with cloth jackets. We pulled about 300’ of wire and replaced it with 3 wire romex and then upgraded all the outlets to 3 wire. That also allows GFI to be installed properly. Copper sure Isn’t cheap right now!!!

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel a lot more comfortable doing the install now.

@JesseS
I believe your correct. It looks like it was moved when a master bath was added. Would you happen to remember how much wire needs to stick outside the junction box. Is it 6”?
6" is plenty :) There is no set amount, just enough to allow connections to be made easily, with room to tuck the wires back inside.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
6” of extra is plenty. As others have said the green ground wire is for modern installations. On older homes it was not an option.

My son and daughter just bought a home that was built in the 1950’s had all the wiring with cloth jackets. We pulled about 300’ of wire and replaced it with 3 wire romex and then upgraded all the outlets to 3 wire. That also allows GFI to be installed properly. Copper sure Isn’t cheap right now!!!
Man you got that right, I rewired my house during a complete remodel, upped the main to 200 amps and had to run all new branch circuits to the additions and Spa drop, and put a sub panel in the garage for power tools. You would have thought I was buying gold instead of copper.
Cloth wrapped aluminum huh? I have done homes with bare aluminum wire on glass insulators in the attic!! Scary!

OP
OP
tgRanger

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are the best! Thank you for all your help. :thumbsup: :beer:

Happy and Safe Holidays everyone.

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
I’m a retired electrician and what you’ve been told is correct except for the GFCI comment. Ground not required for proper GFCI operation.
as far as your track light connection goes if you were using a end feed track connector with a romex connector a box isn’t needed. The ground wire from the fixture, just insulate it so it doesn’t unintentionally make connection with either of the other two circuit wires which could be-very dangerous.