Almost clipped a cyclist

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Not sure if it was my fault or the fact he forced himself in front of me. There was a lot of space behind me if he just waited.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Dude acts like he has the right of way to cross lanes at will. Soon to be a ghost bike in his memory.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, I’ve commuted thousands of miles by bike on dark, rainy, busy roads. I’ve logged countless miles riding busy highways on cycling trips (often fully loaded with gear). I also raced mountain bikes at a high level for more than a decade, and spent way too many hours training on narrow backroads. I even took Vancouver’s bicycle operator’s license course so I would know just what my rights and responsibilities were on the city’s streets. All that to say, I am a very experienced cyclist - I know more than a thing or two about cycling.

I’ve enjoyed the freedom it brings but I’ve also let the ridiculous sense of entitlement that infects the cyclist’s psyche creep into my own head at times (I’m doing something GREEN - I‘m special). It’s a thing. This guy seems to have a case of it.

And no amount of waving a black gloved hand in the dark is going to protct you from 3,000 lbs of automobile. Especially when it’s done in such an “I’m coming over now” fashion.

That rider should have done a lot of things…
  • should have made solid eye contact before such a move
  • should have anticipated that left turning bay way sooner
  • should have clearly made his intentions known to you in a better way
  • should have given you a “thank you” wave because you let him in
  • but most of all, he should have waited
Dude will likely be angry all day and harp about how some guy in a pickup nearly ran him over. 🤬

Onemig

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
From what I know, a cyclist should ride their bicycle by following vehicular rules, which means he/she should have waited to make that left turn since you have the right of way.

I noticed that the more vulnerable a person is on the streets (pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists etc.) the more aggressive and or absent minded they are. It is strange because when an accident with a car/truck happens to them, they are usually the one who will be severely injured.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
A fully loaded 80K pound semi's headlamp looks like any other pickup in a rainy night...this rider will eventually make his last crossing in front of one...

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
From what I know, a cyclist should ride their bicycle by following vehicular rules, which means he/she should have waited to make that left turn since you have the right of way.

I noticed that the more vulnerable a person is on the streets (pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists etc.) the more aggressive they are. It is strange because when an accident with a car/truck happens to them, they are usually the one who will be severely injured.
You’re right Paulo. In most jurisdictions, cyclists are bound by their highways act, which gives them certain rights and a whole bunch of responsibilities that go along with them.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
That rider should have done a lot of things…
  • should have made solid eye contact before such a move
  • should have anticipated that left turning bay way sooner
  • should have clearly made his intentions known to you in a better way
  • should have given you a “thank you” wave because you let him in
  • but most of all, he should have waited
Dude will likely be angry all day and harp about how some guy in a pickup nearly ran him over. 🤬
I also like to bike, not nearly as much as you. But I like to bike where there is little traffic. It is much more enjoyable that way. And I always assume a car is not going to cooperate with me and take precautions as needed. I will do all the things you listed. And yes, he is probably telling his coworkers right now about me.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
i'm not sure how things might be in different jurisdictions, but bicycles are considered motor vehicles and should be treated as such by other vehicles on the road. it's technically illegal for a cyclist to ride on the sidewalk (though cops only rarely ticket people for doing so).

the problem in this video is that that cyclist is one of the many who make it awkward. in the curb lane/emergency lane, but then wanting to utilize the actual lane on the road. what's a driver to do? pass them? wait on them?

the shame here is that you, the driver, were potentially at fault in the event of a collision. though i feel this cyclist is being irresponsible. in other words, i'm with Duke on this one. he nailed it. the cyclist, being in that awkward curb lane, should have just stopped, looked, and waited.

i have not cycled as much as Duke, but i'm also a motorcyclist. i'm painfully aware that the law just says who is at fault. whether i live or die depends on my understanding that my bike or motorcycle will lose any matchup with a 4 wheel+ vehicle. period. so i predictably yield to others on the road.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
i'm not sure how things might be in different jurisdictions, but bicycles are considered motor vehicles and should be treated as such by other vehicles on the road. it's technically illegal for a cyclist to ride on the sidewalk (though cops only rarely ticket people for doing so).

the problem in this video is that that cyclist is one of the many who make it awkward. in the curb lane/emergency lane, but then wanting to utilize the actual lane on the road. what's a driver to do? pass them? wait on them?

the shame here is that you, the driver, were potentially at fault in the event of a collision. though i feel this cyclist is being irresponsible. in other words, i'm with Duke on this one. he nailed it. the cyclist, being in that awkward curb lane, should have just stopped, looked, and waited.

i have not cycled as much as Duke, but i'm also a motorcyclist. i'm painfully aware that the law just says who is at fault. whether i live or die depends on my understanding that my bike or motorcycle will lose any matchup with a 4 wheel+ vehicle. period. so i predictably yield to others on the road.
Well said. At least with the dash cam video, I could at least make an attempt to defend myself if I did hit him.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I used to bike a lot in the 70's and early 80's. Then it became dangerous, even though a bike has been given the same right to use the road as a car. That is when I switched to mountain biking, or staying on side streets with little to no traffic. Same reason I stopped riding motorcycles. Todays world, all the distractions for drivers inside the car, is even worse.
I believe he did have the right to pull over. It was still one lane when he was signaling. Was it smart, hell no. He was wearing bright clothes and a flashing light. His possible widow/family could have a case, dark, raining, not using your wipers in that video.
Like said before, him being right (possibly) means nothing if he is dead...

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
"Motorist hate bikers and bikers hate motorists, but everyone hates cyclists."
This from a brother of an avid cyclist :p
I REALLY hate when they think they own the road and do not get over. I was on my Harley one time and a dude on a bike was riding right down the middle of the road. I honked, nothing, honked again nothing. I decided to go wide left and almost got clipped by a car.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
There used to be a gravel bike race here in the NEK. A real big deal, called Rasputista. Look it up for details on accident. Basically, it is a 25, 70 or 100 mile race through a couple of small towns in this mountain biking mecca. It encompasses paved and dirt roads. 2022 was the last, too many residents complaining about riders behaviors (right or not) and a death was the final straw. Coming to a Y intersection, with a stop sign for cyclist, there was a group of bikers stopped for traffic, but some guy blew right through it. Pickup truck with young driver squashed him. feel bad for all parties. They now run race in Stowe VT area.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
yes, I fall into that group of not liking cyclists who are not courteous etc. Not sure of laws here or anywhere, but common sense says if you can't maintain minimum speeds as law requires, you should yield. Not many safe places to pass on these winding roads.
Sponsored