Almost clipped a cyclist

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Well said. At least with the dash cam video, I could at least make an attempt to defend myself if I did hit him.
This is where a truck with a bed cover comes in handy.

"Sorry buddy, didn't mean it. I'll take you to the hospital!" Puts him in bed of truck, unrolls tonneau cover, locks it. "OK Google, navigate to nearest Martin Luther King jr boulevard".
Sponsored

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
This is where a truck with a bed cover comes in handy.

"Sorry buddy, didn't mean it. I'll take you to the hospital!" Puts him in bed of truck, unrolls tonneau cover, locks it. "OK Google, navigate to nearest Martin Luther King jr boulevard".
holy f#*k dude, hahahahaha i'm in tears laughing

First Name
Richard Jump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Not sure if it was my fault or the fact he forced himself in front of me. There was a lot of space behind me if he just waited.
Entitled bicyclist. I gave a hand signal. That gives me right of way. I hate them. Kids on bikes are more predictable. Because they are unpredictable. But when it's an adult. They think they own the road.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
He didn't give enough time for traffic to even see his arm. Dumbass needs to pay more attention and make sure traffic can actually see all of him, not just his blinking light.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
He didn't give enough time for traffic to even see his arm. Dumbass needs to pay more attention and make sure traffic can actually see all of him, not just his blinking light.
Truth!

Onemig

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
I used to bike a lot in the 70's and early 80's. Then it became dangerous, even though a bike has been given the same right to use the road as a car. That is when I switched to mountain biking, or staying on side streets with little to no traffic. Same reason I stopped riding motorcycles. Todays world, all the distractions for drivers inside the car, is even worse.
I believe he did have the right to pull over. It was still one lane when he was signaling. Was it smart, hell no. He was wearing bright clothes and a flashing light. His possible widow/family could have a case, dark, raining, not using your wipers in that video.
Like said before, him being right (possibly) means nothing if he is dead...
I disagree with the cyclist having the right to pull over left abruptly as what was seen in the video. It seems like there’s a dedicated bicycle lane which to me, technically makes it a two lane road for the cyclist’s situation. He should have yielded/waited especially when the OP was 1-1.5 car length distance from the vehicle in front of him. Not many drivers out there would anticipate that a cyclist will make a sudden left turn in front of the vehicle when there’s a dedicated bicycle lane.

If there was no bicycle lane on the right, I think the cyclist would then be able to argue that he has the right to use the full lane of the roadway, as some roadways with no bicycle lane clearly have signage for indicating that cyclists may use full lane, for example.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
"Motorist hate bikers and bikers hate motorists, but everyone hates cyclists."
This from a brother of an avid cyclist :p
Let's not limit the hatred to the pavement, on shared trails the mountain bikers hate the hikers and the hikers hate the mtn bikers. I recall on some trails in the Denver area spikes being put on shared trails to puncture those knobbies. Some more enlightened areas have separate trails for bikers and hikers. On some shared trails the mtn bikers have driven out the hikers.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Let's not limit the hatred to the pavement, on shared trails the mountain bikers hate the hikers and the hikers hate the mtn bikers. I recall on some trails in the Denver area spikes being put on shared trails to puncture those knobbies. Some more enlightened areas have separate trails for bikers and hikers. On some shared trails the mtn bikers have driven out the hikers.
When I am on a hike, I always try to be aware of the potential for mtn bikers. As soon as I see one, I look for a good place to get off the trail. I am sure not everybody does that. It's easier for me to hop out of the way than for a biker to find a way around me. I almost always get a thank you. But I can see people on both sides being jerks about it.
Some people are oblivious to the possibility of potential bikers. There is a popular paved trail nearby that people will walk 2, 3 even 4 people wide, taking up the whole width of the trail. You have practically holler sometimes before they realize you are trying to get around them.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
In my community we have several designated walking/running/biking paths. Some are are paved exclusive paths and some sections share the city streets with marked bike lanes and the pedestrians using the sidewalk. For the most part the sharing works well. The usual slower to the right is the rule. A simple "approaching from behind" as you overtake them will get the walkers to move over to the right. As always there are those that will hog the trail or blast past you without warning. Also as always there is plenty of blame on both sides.

ranger 2020

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020ranger 22 Ecosport 21 Honda PCX
Occupation
retired
When I was a little boy, many years ago, my dad was teaching me how to ride a bicycle. One thing he told me was always remember to watch out for cars. If you get hit it's really gonna hurt. This was as we were standing beside his '61 Ford Galaxie. Apparently nobody told that guy anything like that.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
People in general have trouble sharing anything lately. Common sense isn't so common, courtesy is being taken over by entitlement. On shared rail to trail areas, while using to get to more technical riding, I've been told to go ride on the road, and many other "suggestions" after voicing with my standard "on your left" warning. Not sure where all the hate and unhappiness is coming from, but it seems to be spreading faster than kindness...

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
when it comes to boating, airplanes and motor vehicles the overtaking vehicle almost always has to yield the right of way.

Having said that the law of physics also apply. I would not operate my bicycle this way.

But don't take my view on this. Find a reputable lawyer and send the video in - ask for a free consult. or next time you see law enforcement show them the video. Information is knowledge.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
A simple "approaching from behind" as you overtake them will get the walkers to move over to the right.
Not always, some people are just clueless. I remember one particular time I was riding on the paved path, came up on people taking the whole thing up, rang my little bell once, twice, three times, before I said loudly "excuse me, on your left." before they moved. (And yes, I have a bell on one of my bikes.)