First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Anyone else have this issue? Hooked up the Ranger to tow it to the coast for a week of camping, thing towed terrible, pushing the RV left and right, thought the tow bar was coming loose and almost missed a curve, pucker factor for sure. Pulled over at the first wide spot and checked everything, all looked good, took it out of flat tow mode, then back in, happened to notice the active lane keeping notice and a light went on, turned that off and she towed straight as an arrow, I would think that would be off by default in flat tow mode. But with the key on to engage flat tow the lane keeping also activates, so it must have stayed on when I turned the key to ACC for towing. Another thing to add to my check list.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
wow thats a good heads up! i would not even think twice to turn off the lane keep assist. It may say in the manual but like most i only read the sections i felt i needed lol. i bet that was scary! i wonder if that has any connection to the member that had his ranger go up in flames while flat towing...​

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jesse,

I have towed my Lariat Ranger for thousands of miles without any problem, but my vehicle is off being push button... Not sure, but why are you in accessory mode? BTW...I do not use a charge line to the Ranger from the Coach either... I do not have an XLT owners manual but are you following the procedure to the letter? Towing in neutral...not park for example???

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Jesse,

I have towed my Lariat Ranger for thousands of miles without any problem, but my vehicle is off being push button... Not sure, but why are you in accessory mode? BTW...I do not use a charge line to the Ranger from the Coach either... I do not have an XLT owners manual but are you following the procedure to the letter? Towing in neutral...not park for example???

Best,
Phil
Yep, I have a checklist behind the visor I follow to be sure. Not sure if ACC position is selected when you turn the key back to where it stops after tow mode is active. I have towed my Ranger all last year on 8 trips without issue. I normally never use lane assist but tried it a couple weeks ago just to see how it worked, either forgot to turn it off or bumped it on by accident. I only noticed it was on when watching the dash display closely at the time.
I am not even sure that was the issue but the problem went away after turning it off, I am not keen on recreating it as I did NOT like the feeling of being pushed around.
I have been flat towing for 15 years without a problem, at first I thought I lost brake activation on the Ranger, but both visual check and drag test showed the brakes working fine. I may take the rig to an empty parking lot for a test next time I hook up just as a test.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
That's somewhat concerning.

I don't flat tow, but I'd imagine you don't want that at all. You'd think there'd be some sort of an interlock on this and other systems.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Lane keeping uses the camera to monitor the lines on the road.
Being flat towed, I'm not understanding how the camera was able to see the lines to make appropriate adjustments (in this case, inappropriate). You're so close to your tow vehicle, its should be taking itself out of service on its own because the lines are not visible.
Either you have a fault with your camera, or its not the the cause of the problem. Are there stripes on your unit that may be mimicking road lines?

OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lane keeping uses the camera to monitor the lines on the road.
Being flat towed, I'm not understanding how the camera was able to see the lines to make appropriate adjustments (in this case, inappropriate). You're so close to your tow vehicle, its should be taking itself out of service on its own because the lines are not visible.
Either you have a fault with your camera, or its not the the cause of the problem. Are there stripes on your unit that may be mimicking road lines?
No lines on back of the rig, and I have towed with this same setup dozens of times without issue, the ONLY difference being lane assist being left on (I never use it except for a test). So if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck I am inclined to think its a duck. Lane assist was the ONLY variable to account for the issue, and it stopped after disabling it.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
No lines on back of the rig, and I have towed with this same setup dozens of times without issue, the ONLY difference being lane assist being left on (I never use it except for a test). So if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck I am inclined to think its a duck. Lane assist was the ONLY variable to account for the issue, and it stopped after disabling it.
I would be inclined to believe then, that turning it off is the band aid and not the root cause.

OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would be inclined to believe then, that turning it off is the band aid and not the root cause.
Doesn't matter either way as long as it stops it. I went into Forscan and disabled lane assist, don't really need or use it so no loss for me. I determined the cause thru empirical testing and elimination, how did you come to the conclusion that is was not the lane assist that was the cause?

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't matter either way as long as it stops it. I went into Forscan and disabled lane assist, don't really need or use it so no loss for me. I determined the cause thru empirical testing and elimination, how did you come to the conclusion that is was not the lane assist that was the cause?
I already explained my reasoning in post #6.

OP
OP
JesseS

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I already explained my reasoning in post #6.
OK, thought you might have some idea what was going on, I did do a test this morning and under normal driving conditions the lane assist seems to work just fine so I guess it's not the camera.
Sponsored