First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
coming from a SHO car, will not use livernois at all they screwed over way to many people on that platform
Please explain on that. Also the 2019 Ranger is the first Ford I bought and with the Livernois tune it does well with drivability and MPG.
Sponsored

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Alrighty, so I took a quick read of the first post assuming that was you. From what I could tell you were talking about a "built" engine that is far from stock correct? If so who did the build? There is always a chance that something wasnt seated right(been there done that). Also going off a built engine tuning is always a question and even if you were at another tuner the same thing could have happened.

As for the tume avalible for the Ranger ot is solely based off a stock to fairly stock Ranger. What do I mean by fairly stock? Intake, exhaust. That's about it.

This is something to keep in mind.

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alrighty, so I took a quick read of the first post assuming that was you. From what I could tell you were talking about a "built" engine that is far from stock correct? If so who did the build? There is always a chance that something wasnt seated right(been there done that). Also going off a built engine tuning is always a question and even if you were at another tuner the same thing could have happened.

As for the tume avalible for the Ranger ot is solely based off a stock to fairly stock Ranger. What do I mean by fairly stock? Intake, exhaust. That's about it.

This is something to keep in mind.

was a livernois built motor post 95 show there work. and mikes was one of many..... and just letting you all know our experience with livernois......

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
was a livernois built motor post 95 show there work. and mikes was one of many..... and just letting you all know our experience with livernois......
I appreciate the info. That thread is an interesting read. Its also very difficult to ascertain what really happened. I agree with Frenchy that the vehicle in question was heavily modified.

Given some drama on this forum around some other tuners, it's important to hear for a lot of people that you 'tune at your own risk' regardless of who provides it.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
how is the gearhead tune ? looking to use them for my tuner.
I went back to my Unleashed Tune. Gearheads was not smooth, in my opinion. They did a couple revisions but it didn't improve much. I've tried Gearheads, SSI, 5 Star and Unleashed.....again in my opinion Unleashed is the best. Easy to drive, smooth, smooth power delivery and top notch customer service.

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went back to my Unleashed Tune. Gearheads was not smooth, in my opinion. They did a couple revisions but it didn't improve much. I've tried Gearheads, SSI, 5 Star and Unleashed.....again in my opinion Unleashed is the best. Easy to drive, smooth, smooth power delivery and top notch customer service.

what tunes do you have from torrie ?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I was at 19.6 before my Livernois tune....We only get 91 Octane at the pump in Colorado so I run that and the high performance tune with the hard shift. Now I'm at 18.6, which makes sense because my right foot is evil... :devil:
BTW....new tires go on tomorrow. I decided to go old school and went with the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife in a 265/60 18. I love the performance I get from the stock tire size. I'm sure these Goodyear's will be WAY better than those ridiculous Hankooks!
With the amount of daily miles I drive...a good, all-season, highway tire should be great for me....
They also have a 85K warranty.....
So I got 42.5K out of the stock tires.....

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I was at 19.6 before my Livernois tune....We only get 91 Octane at the pump in Colorado so I run that and the high performance tune with the hard shift. Now I'm at 18.6, which makes sense because my right foot is evil... :devil:
BTW....new tires go on tomorrow. I decided to go old school and went with the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife in a 265/60 18. I love the performance I get from the stock tire size. I'm sure these Goodyear's will be WAY better than those ridiculous Hankooks!
With the amount of daily miles I drive...a good, all-season, highway tire should be great for me....
They also have a 85K warranty.....
So I got 42.5K out of the stock tires.....
I’ve got the same tune, greatly improved shifting and smoothness but also dropped my mpg by 1-2mpg.

I also noticed it sometimes stays in 9th gear on the interstate...? Not really comfortable with this. I’ve lately been shifting to sport mode and forcing it into 10th.
Still running stock tire size.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’ve got the same tune, greatly improved shifting and smoothness but also dropped my mpg by 1-2mpg.

I also noticed it sometimes stays in 9th gear on the interstate...? Not really comfortable with this. I’ve lately been shifting to sport mode and forcing it into 10th.
Understand that with bigger tires and high load(more common with heavy tires and lifts) the truck may not go into 10th. My truck has 32 inch tires and has no problems going into 10th but sometimes the conditions state otherwise.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase

I'm on the interstate A LOT...daily. I haven't noticed her staying in 9th. I haven't talked about it but my Gibson exhaust goes into this real deep, hard to describe lope when I'm cruising along at about 75-80 or so. Every once in a while I'll get a kick in the butt bump from the tranny trying to shift back and forth between 9th and 10th. It's when I'm in traffic that is moving along but your on the gas/off the gas. I shift A LOT between Sport and Drive, depending on the traffic and my mode of dealing with it. Driving on Interstate 25 back and forth to Denver from my house in Windsor daily can be A LOT like driving the NASCAR circuit. ;)
I guess what I was trying to get at is in Drive (D), my aftermarket exhaust system has a different relationship with my transmission than my stock exhaust system did. Man, I articulated that well! It seems like the stock setup had more back pressure at highway speeds with low rpm (10th gear). I can really feel the difference and I've had this exhaust on for 20K. Funny too, this Gibson system really lights up when you hit it hard. Until then it's very quiet....
I would drive around in Sport mode all the time (I'm at about 85%) but the gas mileage suffers for sure......
Overall my tuned truck with the aftermarket exhaust has better drivability in Sport mode than in Drive (D) mode, if that makes any sense....
I'm not just talking performance, also just the way it drives with the setup I have.
BTW...I'm on stock tires too.

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
41,000 KMS OR 26,000 MILES
MOSTLY CITY, SOME HIGHWAY
2O19 LARIAT/WITH FORD PERFORMANCE TUNER NO OTHER MODS OTHER THAN THE K AND N AIR FILTER THAT CAME WITH THE TUNER
9 LITRES PER 1OO KMS AVERAGE
FOR MY AMERICAN FRIENDS, THIS WORKS OUT TO BE 26MPG ON 91 OCTANE ALWAYS
I'M AN OLD MAN SO I'M ALWAYS VERY EASY ON THE PEDAL EXCEPT WHEN PASSING ON A TWO LANE HIGHWAY AND SOME PRICKS 20 UNDER THE LIMIT

thellamafarm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 19' XLT
As of the end most current tank, with much less heavy footed playing around with the new tune my mileage went form a tank average of 19.8 on 93 Octane with the stock tune to 26.2 with the 5 Star 93 octane tune (up from 24.6 when I first flashed it and played around with it a fair bit). These numbers are based on the total miles driven and gallons used per tank.

The truck's reported mileage went from 16 city/22 hwy on stock to 19.8 city/27.4 hwy on the 93 tune. These all included a good mix of city and hwy driving with speeds averaging 75 mph on the fwy.

Overall I am very impressed with the increase in mpg the 93 tune has produced, and I just re-flashed it to the 5 Star Tuning 87 Daily/Tow profile with a full tank of 87 octane fuel and am curious how the mileage will change running it over the 93 tune. For sustained daily driving and not towing anything the 87 Tune will be more than plenty but I'll re-flash to 93 when I will be towing to make sure I have plenty of power on tap.
Can you report your 87 tune mileage?

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
I have no need for any more power in my ranger, but increasing the fuel economy would be nice, if nothing else just to get a bit more range out of the relatively small gas tank.

Has anyone with an aftermarket tune noticed a significant difference in mpg? if so what octane fuel are you using?

are there any tunes yet specifically designed around fuel economy?
THE HIGHER OCTANE FUEL YOU USE WILL INCREASE YOUR MILEAGE, BUT AT A COST OF COURSE. IT'S ALL RELATIVE REALLY.
Sponsored