Adaptive cruise control question

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I hate it! But I also hate the ding ding ding warning when I turn it off and then use cruise control.
Sponsored

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just as an FYI: If you buy an XL.. you can avoid the Adaptive Cruise Control all together, and a lot of the other technology too..

We specifically bought an XL just for that reason, we didn't want ACC, Lane Assist or the rear sensors. And if you then add the FX4 package you still get the upgraded information display in the Instrument cluster and also includes regular old school cruise control.
What John said, could not agree more. Very happy with what few gismos I have with my XL STX FX 4x4 :clap: :like:

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
It has been my experience that you have to "adapt" to using Adaptive Cruise Control and that it can be difficult to do so. I tried to integrate it into my morning commute (prior to covid) and found that it was incompatible with Detroit freeway traffic where the driving style is predominantly aggressive. The functionality is focused on safe and smooth transitions, the usual Detroit driver is not. However, when the traffic is lighter in volume and you are able to move in a less aggressive manner I found ACC to be quite useful and relaxing. It does take some time to develop your awareness of the system and learn to work with it instead of second guessing its every move, something that invariably increases the stress factor in defensive driving. Perhaps like other technologies (ABS, for example) it will take a generous amount of time before the public can use it as intended. I'm sure plenty of us remember how weird ABS felt the first times we experienced it.
Living in the Detroit area - Rochester Hills - I can relate!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Living in the Detroit area - Rochester Hills - I can relate!
Hi Alan,

I think Oakland County folks are better drivers than Wayne County....except for Woodward... (Dream Cruise)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Alan,

I think Oakland County folks are better drivers than Wayne County....except for Woodward... (Dream Cruise)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,
This was the first year in 20 that I missed the Dream Cruise - which was ‘officially’ cancelled although it didn’t stop many folks from bringing they’re cars and cruising. Just not to the level of other years. For those that haven’t attended this event - literally imagine 10 miles or so of a boulevard type road with thousands of classic cars both parked in the lots bordering the street and cruising up and down with upwards of a million people sitting on lawn chairs and walking along looking at the cars. Also - all the auto manufacturers set up major displays as well. One of my favorite area’s is Ford’s Mustang Alley where a 1/2 mile section of 9 Mile Rd is closed and lined with classic Mustangs - in 2019 there were over 900 Mustangs parked there. I could go on and on about the Dream Cruise - if anyone has the opportunity to go - do it. It’s truly an amazing event. Sorry to deviate from topic.

GWJ5603

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I like ACC and use it frequently - my complaint is even the tiniest amount of snow will block off the sensors and cause it to shut off and disable cruise entirely. I then have to scroll through screens (at 70 mph) to disable the adaptive cruise to get regular cruise to work. Wet snow that melts when it hits the road is the worst!!

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
To answer your questions:
- Yes, once ACC is off, the cruise works just like the standard cruise we all know and love.
- Yes, it will remain off once turned off via the help screen.
- Yes, the brake lights come on.
- Annoyingly, once you turn the ACC off, every time you turn your "normal" cruise on, the truck "dings" at you. Perhaps Forscan can eliminate the ding which is most annoying.
- I use it on the freeway, but dislike the aggressive braking if your speed delta is too great when approaching the vehicle ahead. Understandably because of its field of view, it doesn't work well in curvy mountain roads either.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Annoyingly, once you turn the ACC off, every time you turn your "normal" cruise on, the truck "dings" at you. Perhaps Forscan can eliminate the ding which is most annoying.
That is the dinging I talked about on other threads. So that is why I get the ding. Ironically it did not ding the last time I used it. Maybe I turned ACC accidentally on.
Sponsored