First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I migrated from a 2003 Sport Trac. I decided to keep my old bed extender with the thought that I could adapt it to my new Ranger. It turned out well. You might be able to find Gen1 Sport Trac extenders on the used market if you wish to attempt this. Check your local Craigslist or ebay.

The first issue to deal with is that the extender is too narrow. I choose to just cut it down the center with a saws all. I then bought some schedule 40 grey PVC from home depot and cut it to 12" lengths. These sections then slip over the existing tubes. I bonded the sections over the existing tubes with Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone that I had in the caulk gun. I used this because the clearance between the the PVC and tubes was wide and this stuff would fill the gap. The result is a pretty strong bond. The area of bond is large and it is spread across three tubes. BTW, I bonded everything after I had all the mountings in place (see below) and let it set up installed in the truck with bungy cords holding it together.

If you want full strength you'll have to find suitable stainless pipe and MIG or TIG it. I still have that option if I should ever come across some stainless pipe of the right size.

I turned some nylon and threaded it with 8mm bolt section to make the pivot mounts. I'd like to find a steel solution for this, but it is satisfactory for now.

The final components are not totally necessary. They allow you to lock the extender in the extended position. I used some phenolic plastic and drilled a hole of the right size for the interlock. This then has another 8mm hole drilled through so it could bolt to the existing threaded hole in the side of the bed. I then put a little JB weld on the back to hold it in the correct position (in addition to the bolt holding it)

So there you have it. Oh yeah, I kept my Sport Trac bed mat as well. Little small but I am OK with it.

full_back_ext.jpg

tuck_back_ext.jpg

tubes.jpg

attach_detail.jpg

interlock.jpg

bedmat.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Perfect, Ive had one hanging on the garage wall for years and have been deciphering different ways to do it. Finding the right diameter stainless tube to extend it isnt easy so I havent went too far, but what you have done may suit my needs.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
You're welcome Todd. BTW I see a 2002 Sport Trac bed extender up on ebay now for $85. That is very less expensive than buying the sanctioned 2019 Ranger bed extender.

Search "Bed Extender" on your local Craigslist. You'll be amazed what you can find.

Up-cycle when you can. Otherwise the stuff eventually ends up in a landfill.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Guess what I got today for $40CDN(~$30USD)!!!

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
All done. Not as pretty as I'd like, but it'll work just fine. One thing to note, my pivot bolt is an M6, not an M8.

IMG-20200609-152837.jpg

IMG-20200609-152855.jpg

IMG-20200609-153019.jpg

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I can’t believe they don’t offer this from Ford

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rich,

Ford accessories offers one made by AMP Research. Are you referring to an OEM option? The issue with OEM might be plant complexity, especially with the Bronco on the horizon.

I bought the Ford accessories one as I wanted the Ford Logo...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Probably cheaper if you get it straight from the manufacturer anyway. I'm 99% sure that Amp Research makes it. I know they do offer a kit for our Rangers, but at this price, I couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi Rich,

Ford accessories offers one made by AMP Research. Are you referring to an OEM option? The issue with OEM might be plant complexity, especially with the Bronco on the horizon.

I bought the Ford accessories one as I wanted the Ford Logo...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
What I meant was one with the pivot pins and the latches that the Sport Trac had.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What I meant was one with the pivot pins and the latches that the Sport Trac had.
Hi Rich,

Got it! The Amp Research removes similar to the tailgate... lift to about a 45° angle and it pulls straight out, brackets stay attached to the box side reinforcement.

We back in 2002 time frame to adapt the Sport Trac bed extender to Ranger as well but Marketing shot us down.... Do not know if a bed extender was offered as an OEM order in later model years after 2003, which was the last model year I launched and was working on 2004...big change was TPMS for Ranger, once we were lead on all Trucks.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi Rich,

Got it! The Amp Research removes similar to the tailgate... lift to about a 45° angle and it pulls straight out, brackets stay attached to the box side reinforcement.

We back in 2002 time frame to adapt the Sport Trac bed extender to Ranger as well but Marketing shot us down.... Do not know if a bed extender was offered as an OEM order in later model years after 2003, which was the last model year I launched and was working on 2004...big change was TPMS for Ranger, once we were lead on all Trucks.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I had an 03 Ranger, sold it when my wife was pregnant and we thought we had a family on the way, then bought an 03 Sport Trac. Both were great, my dad had an 04 Ranger, enough of a difference that I didn't like it as much. Eventually the ST turned out great for kids and with a cap the dogs too. The bed extender was good with the cap because the dogs would stay on one side and our luggage on the other.

Last edited:

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I've moved a sport trac extender around in my shop for years just waiting for a use for it.
I've got to figure out how to do this modification.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've moved a sport trac extender around in my shop for years just waiting for a use for it.
I've got to figure out how to do this modification.
I thought that you could take it apart and replace the tubes, if so it would save cutting. Maybe someone else can chime in, I sold mine shortly after I sold the ST. I had so many parts left over, it was just last summer that I finally got rid of the last one.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I thought that you could take it apart and replace the tubes, if so it would save cutting. Maybe someone else can chime in, I sold mine shortly after I sold the ST. I had so many parts left over, it was just last summer that I finally got rid of the last one.
Probably will mockup using pvc then take to an aluminum welding shop for a permanent mod. Looks like mounting is straight forward as demonstrated by guys here. ?

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Those tubes are one piece. In order to widen, you have to cut.
Sponsored