_PropNDrop

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
7th gear is where the most power is made. It’s the 1:1 ratio
I wish would’ve known that before, but that makes sense with the Rangers being a 10spd. I believe there’s a few on here running with a similar setup.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
7th gear is where the most power is made. It’s the 1:1 ratio
Power, as in horsepower, is the same, at equivalent rpm, in any gear.
In other words hp at the engine is the same as hp at the rear wheels minus mechanical losses. Torque at the rear wheels is the greatest in 1st gear.
A dynometer measures the torque produced at the rear wheels. There is then a calculation taking into account rear axle ratio and transmission gear ratio. The simplest calculation is to have the truck in a direct drive gear i.e. 7th. The torque measured is then converted to rpm and hp by the following equation. hp = rpm X torque / 5252. where torque is measured in lbs-ft. Where of course the measured torque is reduced by the rear axle ratio. Those running the dyno, or it, take all of this into account, at least they should.

stratos201xp

First Name
Carlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Driver
Power, as in horsepower, is the same, at equivalent rpm, in any gear.
In other words hp at the engine is the same as hp at the rear wheels minus mechanical losses. Torque at the rear wheels is the greatest in 1st gear.
A dynometer measures the torque produced at the rear wheels. There is then a calculation taking into account rear axle ratio and transmission gear ratio. The simplest calculation is to have the truck in a direct drive gear i.e. 7th. The torque measured is then converted to rpm and hp by the following equation. hp = rpm X torque / 5252. where torque is measured in lbs-ft. Where of course the measured torque is reduced by the rear axle ratio. Those running the dyno, or it, take all of this into account, at least they should.
All I know is guys that did a 4th gear dyno pull to a 5th gear the 5th gear pull had a significant bump in hp and tq. Every dyno tech said 7th gear is what they would like to dyno but the speed is to great or the trucks would hit the limiter. One of these weekends I’m going to dyno mine and see what the gear differences are for my setup.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is guys that did a 4th gear dyno pull to a 5th gear the 5th gear pull had a significant bump in hp and tq. Every dyno tech said 7th gear is what they would like to dyno but the speed is to great or the trucks would hit the limiter. One of these weekends I’m going to dyno mine and see what the gear differences are for my setup.
If there is a significant bump in hp or torque from 4th to 5th it could be whether or not the torque converter is locked up or not and perhaps even a difference in mechanical losses. Perhaps even a change in the tuning for gears? Though that seems odd.
Theoretically as long as the gear ratios are accounted for there should be no difference.
IDK all 10 gear ratios but mathematically its engine torque X the gear ratios to get rear wheel torque. Divide to do the opposite.
Sponsored