First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
My area has a lot of stray cats, raccoons and a few coyotes so maybe im mouse safe - ish . years back i worked on a ranch and the place had several older diesel tractors. INH Ford and Case. Even though Texas is typically mild winters except the pan handle, we still plugged in the heaters for the tractors. One morning the owner of the place went out early to unplug and fire up the tractors. When I came in a few hours later a bloody mess of fur was on the floor and pieces of belt hoses and bent up fan were on the floor and another guy was repairing the tractor. big barn cat had curled up under the tins to stay warmer. poor cat, if he would gone to the old Case he would have lived, that one was cold crank pain. We took chicken wire and cut and bent around the open area of the tractors engines and then used duct tape to stick to the tins and frame. worked perfect keeping small critters out.
Sponsored

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
One of the mouse countermeasures I read about was just leaving the hood open at night, so it doesn't provide shelter and warmth. That's a bit much though.
I've heard of folks doing this in the desert Southwest to keep packrats out of their engine bays. Purportedly it's the additional ambient light from above that is the main deterrent. For my upcoming snowbird trip I'm thinking of using one of those tiny decorative strings of battery operated LED lights with obnoxious disco flashing mode under the hood. I know they drive me to the verge of photosensitive epilepsy. Maybe it will do the same for the rodents.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I've heard of folks doing this in the desert Southwest to keep packrats out of their engine bays. Purportedly it's the additional ambient light from above that is the main deterrent. For my upcoming snowbird trip I'm thinking of using one of those tiny decorative strings of battery operated LED lights with obnoxious disco flashing mode under the hood. I know they drive me to the verge of photosensitive epilepsy. Maybe it will do the same for the rodents.
If that works you could make it cheap with a small light controller and that under cabinet lighting that comes in rolls like tape. Wouldn't use much battery power either.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If that works you could make it cheap with a small light controller and that under cabinet lighting that comes in rolls like tape. Wouldn't use much battery power either.
Or just loop this video of Sids @Msfitoy light show and give them all an epileptic seizure. :crazy:o_O

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Or just loop this video of Sids @Msfitoy light show and give them all an epileptic seizure. :crazy:o_O

You know...if I had nest problems, it wouldn't take much to rig up a light show under the hood along with random noise generators to run at night...wouldn't take much power if a charger was also hooked up to the battery... ?

My dad's a retired electrical engineer and I rememberf him showing me a custom electric rat fryer/trap...that would also be easy to do...the last bed the rodent will bed in...

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You know...if I had nest problems, it wouldn't take much to rig up a light show under the hood along with random noise generators to run at night...wouldn't take much power if a charger was also hooked up to the battery... ?

My dad's a retired electrical engineer and I have memories of him showing me a custom electric rat fryer/trap...that would also be easy to do...the last bed the rodent will bed in...
I'm thinking looping this light show with that M16 audio MP3 would do the trick. I bet you'd have dead animals for a good 4-5 block radius. ?

IcemanSTX

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I don't even think it would keep critters out since the wires are soy-based it's just an easier to get to meal.

I found all sorts of oddball ideas for mice haha
View attachment 111516
I don't have mice, but I really want this thing now just for aesthetics

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I've heard mice don't like the smell of Irish spring soap an peppermint oil. I don't know if you could leave a bar zip tied under the hood or not an it help. I have a detached garage for my Harley an tools but I can't fit my truck in it. I toss a few mothballs in the corners to discourage them from coming in.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Bingo. Mothballs are cheap and effective.
Ive watched some YouTube videos that show mothballs don't repel mice. Supposedly keep spiders away though.

I wonder if hot pepper oil mixed with peppermint and sprayed all over would be a deterrent.

If I could make a battery blanket replacement that they hated it would be a game changer.

tnewcomb6370

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I just went through this. First a nest on top of the battery a couple of times then a dead mouse in the vent, hell of a smell. 1k dollars later now I have put stainless steel screen over every opening into the cab. Stop them before it cost.
Sponsored