First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Dad stuff
At least you caught it early enough. I had to clean out a nest under my parents' Escape's hood not too long ago. It chewed up most of the insulation padding over the wheel wells and created a pretty cozy, and warm, nest. Damn rodents.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
At least you caught it early enough. I had to clean out a nest under my parents' Escape's hood not too long ago. It chewed up most of the insulation padding over the wheel wells and created a pretty cozy, and warm, nest. Damn rodents.
They seem to like insulation. I had one trying to move into my Passat’s hood liner. I was lucky to find out before it discovered how tasty wire harnesses are. ?

30872CC4-CB51-47A0-90AC-BD567B8A61CE.jpeg

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I installed this electronic device which has strope lights and makes a annoying sounds that critters hate. Also made this cover to keep them out of the air intake.

20211201_093451.jpg

20211201_093547.jpg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
This is gonna make me sound dumb but, I wonder if the critters nesting into your rides was due to living in a colder climate? I have never had that happen to a vehicle that was driven on a semi regular basis.

SaberRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I had to have surgery early this year and my truck sat for maybe a week at my parents house.

when I was able to drive again and got my truck back I was checking the oil and I noticed that a rat, mouse or squirrel had chewed up part of the foam engine cover.

It was also kind enough to leave some of its droppings on the engine cover, luckily it didn’t chew anything else.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I had to have surgery early this year and my truck sat for maybe a week at my parents house.

when I was able to drive again and got my truck back I was checking the oil and I noticed that a rat, mouse or squirrel had chewed up part of the foam engine cover.

It was also kind enough to leave some of its droppings on the engine cover, luckily it didn’t chew anything else.
oh man after only a week the little jerks moved in. that has me kinda concerned now, my ranger sits parked five days a week until im free on the weekend to enjoy it.

newtremorguy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Dad stuff
This is gonna make me sound dumb but, I wonder if the critters nesting into your rides was due to living in a colder climate? I have never had that happen to a vehicle that was driven on a semi regular basis.
I thought about the colder climate thing, as well. I grew up in New Mexico, so occasionally we had a desert mouse, but nothing like what we have in the Seattle area...though Albuquerque was warmer during summer months, but it also got colder in the winter months.
My folks literally learned of the mouse problem as they were driving their Escape.
Somehow the mouse comes out from under the hood, near the windshield, and starts roaming around on the hood, as their driving! Needless to say, the rodent was about 20 miles away from “home” when he feel off the hood.
On a side note, they drive the car almost everyday, so it seems rodents don’t care if the vehicle is parked for weeks at a time, or driven normally. They also park it in the garage.
Damn rodents are pretty creative.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It's got to have something to do with that. Although, I've lived where there's a real winter my whole 45 years. I've never had such an occurrence. Even when my neighborhood when it was still under construction. We'd catch a couple here or there in the garage, but they never got at the cars.

Perhaps these folks live somewhere where there are no cats, traps, or exterminators?

If I had that many mice around that I worried about them getting in my cars, I'd be more worried about Hanta Virus than my car.

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It was pretty common to have this happen when I lived back in MA where it was cold. I lived out in the country so even more common out there with all the woods around. One thing I heard from people who lived in the burbs was sometimes cats will crawl up into the engine bay to stay warm at night. So when they'd walk out to their vehicle they give the hood a tap to make sure non were in there. Not a pretty sight when you remote start your vehicle and one is in there. :sadface:

oh man after only a week the little jerks moved in. that has me kinda concerned now, my ranger sits parked five days a week until im free on the weekend to enjoy it.
Mark, you might want to consider getting a battery maintainer if it's sitting like that. There's a lot of parasitic draw from all the electronics and in time it will wear your battery out quick. Also the heat will kill them quickly too, I just had mine replaced (under warranty) back in April which was only 21 months old. I use this one along with the extension leads so I don't need to open the hood to connect it.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-206-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=49ASSR9018D3NYB1Y1HX

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-304-...67d51&pd_rd_wg=gfDr6&pd_rd_i=B00ADIHUVG&psc=1

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
It was pretty common to have this happen when I lived back in MA where it was cold. I lived out in the country so even more common out there with all the woods around. One thing I heard from people who lived in the burbs was sometimes cats will crawl up into the engine bay to stay warm at night. So when they'd walk out to their vehicle they give the hood a tap to make sure non were in there. Not a pretty sight when you remote start your vehicle and one is in there. :sadface:
One of the mouse countermeasures I read about was just leaving the hood open at night, so it doesn't provide shelter and warmth. That's a bit much though.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
One of the mouse countermeasures I read about was just leaving the hood open at night, so it doesn't provide shelter and warmth. That's a bit much though.
I haven't heard of that one. Depending on the area that could open up a whole mess of problems for vandalism and stolen batteries. With my luck I'd go out and the engine would be gone. lol

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I haven't heard of that one. Depending on the area that could open up a whole mess of problems for vandalism and stolen batteries. With my luck I'd go out and the engine would be gone. lol
I don't even think it would keep critters out since the wires are soy-based it's just an easier to get to meal.

I found all sorts of oddball ideas for mice haha
View attachment 111516

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather

Mark, you might want to consider getting a battery maintainer if it's sitting like that. There's a lot of parasitic draw from all the electronics and in time it will wear your battery out quick. Also the heat will kill them quickly too, I just had mine replaced (under warranty) back in April which was only 21 months old. I use this one along with the extension leads so I don't need to open the hood to connect it.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-206-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=49ASSR9018D3NYB1Y1HX

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-304-...67d51&pd_rd_wg=gfDr6&pd_rd_i=B00ADIHUVG&psc=1
You make a great point i should get something to keep the battery up. I never thought of how much stuff is pulling on it while it is sitting. my older trucks were great on the battery, when the key was of the entire trucks were pretty much dead. It threw me off when i noticed the door lock buttons are lit even after the truck is off and locked.
Sponsored