First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Well for some it is, for others it's not. I'm a retired master auto tech and I did mine in the driveway with a little compressor set that I've had for years. But I have 30 plus years experience. For those that don't have any experience or aren't mechanically skilled it's not a great idea to attempt this.
You make a good point. As a kid I took everything apart and put it back together before my parents noticed. That one rotary phone never rang again. But it still worked.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
My youngest son, had an exhaust leak on his car. It was on the downpipe where it connected to the catalytic converter. He thought it sounded cool. Mom had it fixed. About two months later, the loud exhaust is back. Mom is getting ready to call to have it fixed again. Seems he just took the gasket out between the downpipe and cat.?

proud Dad moment!

Deleted member 15875

so its been almost a year since my 5100s for the front showed up. they are still in the boxes and not on the truck...?
every time i get a quote from a shop its just out of my budget. im starting to consider doing it myself. talk me out of it lol. i dont have a spring comp etc. it would be a hand tools and driveway / garage. i feel confident about all of it except the assembly and compression of the coils part.
There's some excellent YT vids for changing out shocks on the Ranger that will at least give you a sense of the work required, but as others have mentioned, best to leave it to a pro and avoid injury and frustration.

mtbcal

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Crew cab
Occupation
Helicopter Utility/Firefighting
I received the 5100's recently and I'm curious if anyone who has done the install previously has the part #'s and associated quantities of the lock nuts that need to be replaced for the install. Much appreciated!

Reactions: Doc

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I received the 5100's recently and I'm curious if anyone who has done the install previously has the part #'s and associated quantities of the lock nuts that need to be replaced for the install. Much appreciated!
If you are talking about the suspension pieces to replace when installing new coilovers, attached is what I know.

I looked up the Ford Fox performance shocks instructions for the throw away parts and ordered them from Levittown. This is to go with my (non Ford) Fox 2.0 front install.

BTW these instructions are useful regardless of what coilovers you install.

Screenshot_20221211-081522~2.png

Edit to add the above details as text for easier copy and paste.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
KB3Z-3B477-A​
Axle Nut​
$2.51​
2​
$5.02​
-W716936-S442​
Stabilizer Link Nut​
$1.04​
2​
$2.08​
-W520213-S440​
Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Nut ***sold qty 1 each***​
$1.92​
2​
$3.84​
-W719301-S439​
Axle Beam Mount Bolt​
$1.25​
4​
$5.00​
-W720123-S440​
Upper Control Arm Retainer Nut​
$0.55​
6​
$3.30​
-W520214-S440​
Stabilizer Link Nut​
$0.60​
2​
$1.20​

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
There's some excellent YT vids for changing out shocks on the Ranger that will at least give you a sense of the work required, but as others have mentioned, best to leave it to a pro and avoid injury and frustration.
And many of those videos have led many a member to separate their CV joints.

If you don't know what you're doing, simply watching a YouTube video sometimes will not help.

OP
OP
Dereku

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
If you are talking about the suspension pieces to replace when installing new coilovers, attached is what I know.

I looked up the Ford Fox performance shocks instructions for the throw away parts and ordered them from Levittown. This is to go with my (non Ford) Fox 2.0 front install.

BTW these instructions are useful regardless of what coilovers you install.
Screenshot_20221211-081522~2.png
that seems crazy cheap.

And many of those videos have led many a member to separate their CV joints.

If you don't know what you're doing, simply watching a YouTube video sometimes will not help.
No doubt. Any yahoo can post a youtube video. I guess you have to have the mechanical know how to ignore the bad advice.

OP
OP
Dereku

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Well considering they are ford parts lol. The cv nuts on my f150 were about $12 each and thats rock auto. Ford is good at over charging for their little stuff.
Sponsored