First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
After nearly forgetting it was not only mother's day but also the wife's bday... upps! I am going to wait for the next round of truck parts.

That said, I have some more time to think/second guess myself.

As much as I didn't want to lift the nose I do not like the amount of stock rake. Planning to use a low setting on the 5100s to lift it just a bit and take some of the rake out. A bit is ok; just not where it sits now IMO.

Does anyone regret getting 5100s? I see more than a few recommendations in one of many threads, so I am almost sold. I also didn't want to jack someone's suspension thread with "did these piss anyone off?" - so yes I made another strut/shock post. Sorry for those that get offended by new threads. If one is out there looking for problems with 5100 me and google missed it.

More info:

I do not have to worry about what struts resist rust where I am at so that isn't much of a factor.

4X2 and don't plan on running a tire much bigger than stock in the future.

4x2 so not much offroad and nothing anyone would call real offroading. More like rough grassing....

Towing: Eventually, it will be pulling around 5k about once a month to a track.
Sponsored

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
I'm in the same boat and appreciate the thread.

I'm hoping to get my truck next month and I'm definitely leaning towards the 5100s for all the reasons you mention. I feel the EXACT same way about the stock rake. Will be nice to lift the front maybe an inch and improve the ride at the same time.

Mine will be 4x4 but will rarely be used in 4wd. I mainly got 4wd because I plan on keeping the vehicle for 20ish years and it comes in handy occasionally and I will be using it to drive on beaches a handful of times each year. But aside from that, it will be a kid hauling, softball gear toting beach wagon. Zero offroading. Occasional towing up to 3-5k.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
After nearly forgetting it was not only mother's day but also the wife's bday... upps! I am going to wait for the next round of truck parts.

That said, I have some more time to think/second guess myself.

As much as I didn't want to lift the nose I do not like the amount of stock rake. Planning to use a low setting on the 5100s to lift it just a bit and take some of the rake out. A bit is ok; just not where it sits now IMO.

Does anyone regret getting 5100s? I see more than a few recommendations in one of many threads, so I am almost sold. I also didn't want to jack someone's suspension thread with "did these piss anyone off?" - so yes I made another strut/shock post. Sorry for those that get offended by new threads. If one is out there looking for problems with 5100 me and google missed it.

More info:

I do not have to worry about what struts resist rust where I am at so that isn't much of a factor.

4X2 and don't plan on running a tire much bigger than stock in the future.

4x2 so not much offroad and nothing anyone would call real offroading. More like rough grassing....

Towing: Eventually, it will be pulling around 5k about once a month to a track.
Same for me. Anyone have any recommendations for the 4x2, meaning are the Bilstein 5100's overkill? I have thought about adding the front level kit with the stock shocks, but also don't want to max out the Camber.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I'm personally gonna go with the 4600s for little softer ride, as I don't plan to go offroad much in my 4x2.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I think the Bilstein's will suit you just fine. I have the same setup as you 4x2WD, not much off-roading and towing about 5000LBS for Track Time. I can tell you I don't like the float and pogo effect with stock suspension. Adjustable is the way to go vs spacers IMO.

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
Nope, Great choice, I'd set @ 1.5" with factory springs and it is a nice ride!

Rears too!

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
I'd did these for the rear, before I went to ICON's, Still have 'em as spares.

Bilsteins.jpeg

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I'm personally gonna go with the 4600s for little softer ride, as I don't plan to go offroad much in my 4x2.
According to Bilstein the valving on the 4600 and the 5100 are identical. The only upside to the 5100 is if you're playing around with ride height. *source* Direct email conversation with Bilstein tech.

I'd already bought 5100's for the rear of mine, I plan on doing 4600's in the front at some point. I use the truck to tow and haul, don't give a toss about the rake, with 600# on the tongue, it's level.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That I recall anyone that gets Bilstein shocks for thier vehicle usually isnt disappointed regardless if its a ranger or not. When I had my 2016 Nissan Frontier it had the 4600 shocks from the factory and they were nice. They are very similar to the 5100 except the 5100 is meant to take some lift.

Since you are planning to tow I do agree with keeping Rake on the truck. Also you can go a little bigger on the tire size without the shock and strut change up to a 32 inch tire. Plenty of options for you and personally I would stick with a good All season tire.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I regret they were on backorder E V E R Y W H E R E when I was interested in buying them. That said 6k miles later happy with Eibach but it would have been nice to have the 5100 series available.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
According to Bilstein the valving on the 4600 and the 5100 are identical. The only upside to the 5100 is if you're playing around with ride height. *source* Direct email conversation with Bilstein tech.

I'd already bought 5100's for the rear of mine, I plan on doing 4600's in the front at some point. I use the truck to town and haul, don't give a toss about the rake, with 600# on the tongue, it's level.
Oh, well then the guys at the f150 forums are wrong again. Forget what I said then lol

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I don't think you can beat the price tag of the eibach pro truck kit. Often eibach and Bilstein are in a comparable category as far as these models go.

I got my pro truck kit which comes with front and rear shocks new springs and 1 in rear blocks for right around 600

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Personally I don't think you can beat the price tag of the eibach pro truck kit. Often eibach and Bilstein are in a comparable category as far as these models go.

I got my pro truck kit which comes with front and rear shocks new springs and 1 in rear blocks for right around 600
That was quite a great deal if it included assembled coilovers.
Sponsored