First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
My Owner's Manual recommends oil changes at 7,500-10,000 miles. I get a Quick Lane Works package every 6,000 miles which includes Motorcraft semi synthetic oil & tire rotation. I've got a Ford Visa credit card which accrues Ford Pass points on most purchases, and I always seem to have enough points to cover the total cost ~$75 incl tax on both of my vehicles.
Sponsored

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I think the first car we ever had that had a maintenance computer that told you when it needed an oil change, was a Mercedes. It also was one of the earliest cars to call out Mobil 1 as the oil they used for the factory fill.

That car, an S500 sedan, always went right around 12K miles between oil changes. I didn’t worry about it as it was a company car on a 3 year lease, but almost felt guilty giving it back, after having followed the MBZ service computers advice.

For cars/trucks I planned to keep a normal cycle for me (like 150K), I change oil/filter at 5K miles or 1 once a yr whatever comes first.

As oil gets better, full syn, Dexos2, better filters, etc., I just assume I am adding potential longevity without having to keep score.

It is just too cheap and too easy to change myself not to do it.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Every six months...Full synthetic Ford. 20 model with 10k just to be safe. Cheap insurance.
This reminded me mine is due. Only 3,000 miles but it has been 6 months.

I use Mobile 1 Extended Performance which states it can go a year or 20,000. At the very least it's good insurance if the motor oil shortage gets worse.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, for anyone with later model Rangers (mine is 2022), I was down at my local NAPA store yesterday, looking to buy a Platinum NAPA filter (WIX XP). They didn't have it listed for the 2022. I asked the guy to check the 2019 and explained it was the same engine, bingo.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
My Owner's Manual recommends oil changes at 7,500-10,000 miles. I get a Quick Lane Works package every 6,000 miles which includes Motorcraft semi synthetic oil & tire rotation. I've got a Ford Visa credit card which accrues Ford Pass points on most purchases, and I always seem to have enough points to cover the total cost ~$75 incl tax on both of my vehicles.
Did the same on my 2016 F150. But came to find out they do not check any of the “drivetrain” levels ( trans, front and rear diff or t/case). Found this out at 56k when I checked rear diff and it was 1.5 pints low. No leaks and the dealer had done all the maintenance since new. So most likely under filled from factory and not checked during PDI. I complained and they did not charge for the fluid or labor. So just a heads up. I’m doing my own maintenance on the Ranger now.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Did the same on my 2016 F150. But came to find out they do not check any of the “drivetrain” levels ( trans, front and rear diff or t/case). Found this out at 56k when I checked rear diff and it was 1.5 pints low. No leaks and the dealer had done all the maintenance since new. So most likely under filled from factory and not checked during PDI. I complained and they did not charge for the fluid or labor. So just a heads up. I’m doing my own maintenance on the Ranger now.
Thanks for this. I'll bring these issues up at the next service.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, for anyone with later model Rangers (mine is 2022), I was down at my local NAPA store yesterday, looking to buy a Platinum NAPA filter (WIX XP). They didn't have it listed for the 2022. I asked the guy to check the 2019 and explained it was the same engine, bingo.
Just did mine today:

WIX 51348XP Heavy Duty Lube Filter

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I do 5K service intervals because the math is easy for me.

better to often then two infrequent
I do the same and have them rotate my tires. I usually only drive about 8,000 miles/year so for $80.00 with full synthetic it's cheap insurance.

I do 5K service intervals because the math is easy for me.
Math Problem.gif

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I do the same and have them rotate my tires. I usually only drive about 8,000 miles/year so for $80.00 with full synthetic it's cheap insurance.

Math Problem.gif

Math Problem.gif
Sorta like this

838A537A-163F-4A30-B9C7-9601D536F914.jpeg

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I'm still getting the works package done at the dealer every 5k.

70$ is more than worth it to me. I don't have to get oily, I don't have to lift a heavy ass set of wheels/tires, if my oil filter unscrews itself driving that's all on the dealer lol, AND.. all that dealer servicing looks good on the carfax for resale.

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
It would be nice if there was an oil change monitor for those of us with oil dilution issues. I am changing mine every 5,000, but probably should change it every 2,000 if I cared about staying within the recommended viscosity. ;)

Reactions: Doc

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
I'm sticking to 5k and pretty much nothing will change my mind. 5k is a nice even number and I've never had any oil related issues on any of my cars.

Dump it at 5 to keep her alive!

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have mostly decided oil change time based on the look of oil tracks on rag when I wipe it. And I have an old habit to smell it.
With Ranger there is just a tiny problem. It’s high. I can reach the dipstick, but can’t reach to put it back correctly. And I have not figured out yet, how to check oil without bringing a box to climb on and showing to neighborhood - hey, a vertically challenged got herself a truck and can’t check oil now!
I knew a short girl who had a similar problem reaching a shelf at work. I got her one of these but she did not appreciate it and didn't use it.
Sponsored