4x4 Malfunction Warning

bsr956

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4; 2013 Nissan Altima
On Saturday I drove it to church for Men's Ministry workday w/ no issues. Started it to leave and got the wrench icon and a 4x4 shifting malfunction warning message on the gauge cluster. Pulled into a gravel parking lot and it would not shift into 4x4 at all, drove it home and it sat for around 1 hour while I was doing other things. Cranked it to put into the garage - no error messages. It shifted into 4x4 high and low several times without any issues. Drove it Sunday, no messages, shifted into 4x4 high & low without any issues. Drove to work today with no error messages. One off issue? Should I be concerned? This happened to you??
Sponsored

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Could be a one off, could have been the timing of key in ignition to on, or on to start even. If one of the modules didn't get the response it expected from another module and timed out the wait for it, these random seeming errors can happen. Often a full power cycle (not just ignition off/on, nor going as far as battery disconnect) can clear them up. I've had my RS and Ranger each so odd things randomly, but it's fairly rare and normally turning it off, opening and closing the door and then waiting about 5 minutes, if you watch the gauges closely you can sometimes see when it actually powers down and not have to wait the full 5, it seems to be fine.

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Most Likely:
Sticking 4-Wheel Drive Relay, this relay is powered from 2 sources - before and after the PCM Power Relay. The relay is integral to the Engine Bay Fuse Box.
As posted above, once the modules time out and go to sleep, power fully dropped off and the relay relaxed and deenergized.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This type of error does not bode well for long term durability :confused:

Is the relay separate, or is it similar to the Chrysler TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) debacle where a sticking horn relay costs several hundred dollars and a trip to the dealer to reprogram the new TIPM to your vehicle?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
There are 3 relays related to 4-Wheel drive
1 ea - Intergrated into the Fuse Box (Not Serviceable)
This relay energizes when the PCM Power Relay energizes, so (Wake Circuit and Key Transition to Start/Run)

2 ea Relays (Serviceable) CW Motor Relay & CCW Motor Relay, mounted on top of the fuse panel,
these 2 relays only power when you are shifting (to & from) 2wd-4-Hi and 4-Low

Last edited:

OP
OP
bsr956

bsr956

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4; 2013 Nissan Altima
Who knew it was sooo much work to press the clutch and pull the lever to engage 4x4?? :shock:

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
Mines got less than 2500mi on it and I got a 4x4 warning message once. Power cycled, gone, nothing since.

These trucks are so increasingly computer controlled think of them like the computers on your desk. I was big into building my own PCs in the late 90s early 00s and you wouldn't BELIEVE the crazy manifested problems you could fix on a computer with a simple power cycle.

Memory leaks, disk fragmentation, all kindsa crap gets cleared out of degree on a power cycle.

If the error is repeatable that's more concerning.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I long for the days of my 99 Ranger so much stuff to go wrong on the new vehicles.
Well, those 4x4 actuator motor and switches could be troublesome, and don't get me started on the Pulse Vacuum Hub debacle Ford used during those years.
Sponsored