First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Toolmaker
Hi and thank you for your help. Have had my 2022 XLT FX4 now for one week now. I am trying to understand the lift kit differences for a 2021 and older. Please correct me if I’m wrong.………………………..…… On the 2022 the upper control arm is different and the spindle arm is cast iron where I believe the 2021 and older spindle is aluminum…… Is that correct or is there more to it? Thank you again.
Sponsored

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
It depends. I think all of the 2019 and 2020 had aluminum and after that it was a mix. I know my 2019 did. It only made a difference when I changed my upper control arm, not when I added lifting coilovers.

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Toolmaker
It depends. I think all of the 2019 and 2020 had aluminum and after that it was a mix. I know my 2019 did. It only made a difference when I changed my upper control arm, not when I added lifting coilovers.
Thanks......... I'm just trying to understand the 2019 - 2022 differences so I can understand the lift kit differences.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
The knuckles changed as others have said. I believe the upper control arms are the same but the taper on the upper ball joint is different for those with cast iron knuckles.

If you’re lifting or levelling without changing your UCAs, no problem. If you’re upgrading UCAs, be mindful of the fitment - it might indicate they’re for 2019-23 Ranger online but not specify aluminum or cast iron knuckle. Also, not all UCA manufacturers make arms for both options and you may be limited in your choices. Most of the big brands seem to have both now.

Of course, not all online resellers carry both options, or even know there’s a difference (“Yeah, no worries Bro’, they’ll fit your truck Dude”). Hmmm, it might be best to stick with folks who make it a point to really know their stuff.

@Stage3Motorsports likely has what you’re looking for and Frank always does his best for ranger5g members, whether it’s a group buy or a deal on shipping or price - and he will likely never call you Bro’ or Dude. ;)

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Icon makes tubular UCA for both cast iron and aluminum. Stage 3 has them. I had not planned upgrading mine but the group buy here was too good a price to pass up. Although the bushings are a tad noisy they make a big difference in ride and articulation.

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Toolmaker
Icon makes tubular UCA for both cast iron and aluminum. Stage 3 has them. I had not planned upgrading mine but the group buy here was too good a price to pass up. Although the bushings are a tad noisy they make a big difference in ride and articulation.
It seems Icon is a tad $$ or am I wrong or…. If icon is running Johnny joints or Heim joints they would require a lot of lubrication and often. Is that true or ? I do not know, Thanks.

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Toolmaker
Just found this….. kinda helpful but not for a 2022.

CA988435-53E0-403E-8BE8-AAEA6800380A.jpeg

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
It seems Icon is a tad $$ or am I wrong or…. If icon is running Johnny joints or Heim joints they would require a lot of lubrication and often. Is that true or ? I do not know, Thanks.
They are pricey! Icons tubular have uniball Delta joints claimed to be 60000 miles or more. IDK...I did Eibach 2.0 pro truck extended struts and rear shocks, then tires and finally the UCA. Could tell a big difference in ride and offroading after add UCA although many say you do not need them with a 2 1/2" lift but I am convinced its worth it. Frank can give you discount if you message him or maybe another group buy? There are many other UCA that will work with cast iron spindles but I only am familiar with the Icon that I have about 6000 miles on and very happy with.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Just found this….. kinda helpful but not for a 2022.

CA988435-53E0-403E-8BE8-AAEA6800380A.jpeg
That was likely published before Camburg even knew what Ford was doing in 2022. Go to a Ford dealer parts site and find the part number for a 2021 steel and a 2022 steel. 99.9% sure they’ll be the same. Then you’ll know for sure.
Sponsored