First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
Police
Greetings all. I'm a new member here after impulse buying a Tremor Lariat a few weeks ago. I installed a 1" leveling kit last night and managed to mess up the threads on my left side spindle. I have been trying to find information on the actual size of the axle and the thread pitch to locate the proper spindle thread repair die. I have ordered replacement nuts from my Ford dealer, and am having no luck on the correct die needed. I am hoping to not have to replace the entire axle shaft. Does anyone know the correct part I need? The install went flawless otherwise, and it looks great now. I'm not sure which forum to put this, so figured I'd start here. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Sponsored

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Greetings all. I'm a new member here after impulse buying a Tremor Lariat a few weeks ago. I installed a 1" leveling kit last night and managed to mess up the threads on my left side spindle. I have been trying to find information on the actual size of the axle and the thread pitch to locate the proper spindle thread repair die. I have ordered replacement nuts from my Ford dealer, and am having no luck on the correct die needed. I am hoping to not have to replace the entire axle shaft. Does anyone know the correct part I need? The install went flawless otherwise, and it looks great now. I'm not sure which forum to put this, so figured I'd start here. Thank you for any help you can give me.
I like thread files. A much more cost effective solution and you'll have them for next time.

OP
OP

Jimljr145

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
Police
I like thread files. A much more cost effective solution and you'll have them for next time.
I've never done this, so would your opinion be to try a thread file and not worry about a threading die?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
They’re 60 degree triangle files. Finer the better. Got to think the shaft is case hardened so filing will be a long slow process.

Just as important as cleaning up the galled threads is getting all the grit and metal particulates out before you button it up.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
They’re 60 degree triangle files. Finer the better. Got to think the shaft is case hardened so filing will be a long slow process.

Just as important as cleaning up the galled threads is getting all the grit and metal particulates out before you button it up.
You might be surprised just how soft the axle shaft is. I've repaired several of these on various fords for inexperienced techs fresh off the lube rack. These threads usually clean up pretty quick.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
Correct. They work on damaged or dirty threads. It does take a little longer but you don't risk starting the die crooked and making it worse. Napa usually has the in stock.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER...G_aq4K3QjyTN87MS9y8jnD819aGLSA4aArp3EALw_wcB&

make sure you use the correct file. set it in the thread (good part) & it should go all the way to the bottom (no half seated file) once you have the correct file just clean up the bad part & you should be alright

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Take the new and/or existing nut to your local auto parts store. They should have a display board with bolts and nuts in various thread and pitch sizes in standard and metric.
Cross reference this information to the taps and dies they have in stock or order the size you need.
I have never, ever had this same problem...

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Also ask parts store if the have a thread chaser set to lend out. I'm sure you're not the only one who's done this.
I bought a snap-on set early in my career and man has that been lent out a bunch of times lol.

OP
OP

Jimljr145

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
Police
I was successful with using a thread file to correct my mistake. I then used a die to clean the threads to be able to get the nut to go on. For the record, the spindle is 24mm, with a 1.50 pitch should anyone need to know in the future. I used a gear wrench thread fle, and a spindle rethread kit I found on Amazon. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Chonger

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 supercab
To confirm this is on a 2021 Ranger? I did the same thing as you! Those YouTube videos should reccomend threading the nut back on a few threads, putting the 35mm socket on and striking that! I was able to get the old nut back on with a little resistance and get the truck driving bit I would like to chase the threads when I get a chance. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP

Jimljr145

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
Police
To confirm this is on a 2021 Ranger? I did the same thing as you! Those YouTube videos should reccomend threading the nut back on a few threads, putting the 35mm socket on and striking that! I was able to get the old nut back on with a little resistance and get the truck driving bit I would like to chase the threads when I get a chance. Thanks for the info!
Yes, it's a 2021. I know better than to strike something with threads, but I was trying to rush through the process. As always, the cost of trying to rush is extra time to fix your mistakes...
Sponsored