2021 Ranger Tremor Reviews Are Here - Articles & Videos

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Why'd you pick Bilsteins? I want to level my Ranger, well, I want the front 1" taller, so I was looking at Eibachs. After that I'm seriously considering some 17s with better tires.
Mainly price, but I owned a Pro4X Nissan that came with the lower grade 4600 Bilsteins and I really liked the ride. On the Ranger at the time of purchase, the Bilsteins were like $389 for all 4 and the Eibachs were around $440. Probably splitting hairs as far as which is better and they offer similar height adjustments. I really like the Grabber ATx, had the original Grabber AT years ago. I mainly chose them over BFG's because they had a good rebate, the site (tire america) had them for 15% off and they weren't overly common at the time.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Gotta laugh at this excerpt from Motor Trend Review:

Poor body control and ride quality have been our issues with this Ranger from the start. Standard iterations of the truck feel wildly underdamped, throwing occupants wildly from side to side when engaging in something as benign as entering a driveway at an angle rather than head-on. The stiff springs, necessary to give the Ranger top-of-the-class payload and tow ratings, meant you were always being jostled around even when driving straight down the road. It felt like driving a pickup truck from last century. The Tremor package fixes all that.

I went on several 10 mile plus mountain roads of dirt, rocks, ruts , stream depressions and so on this last summer and unless I went slowly the Ranger did approximately what Motor Trend describes, especially on the downhill, but overtime learned to minimize the gyrations but sometimes with others on board couldn't resist the temptation to rock their world. On some stretches of the roads you either stayed ~5 mph or take your bucking and broncing like a real man.
I think those MT dudes are just light weights.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta laugh at this excerpt from Motor Trend Review:

Poor body control and ride quality have been our issues with this Ranger from the start. Standard iterations of the truck feel wildly underdamped, throwing occupants wildly from side to side when engaging in something as benign as entering a driveway at an angle rather than head-on. The stiff springs, necessary to give the Ranger top-of-the-class payload and tow ratings, meant you were always being jostled around even when driving straight down the road. It felt like driving a pickup truck from last century. The Tremor package fixes all that.

I went on several 10 mile plus mountain roads of dirt, rocks, ruts , stream depressions and so on this last summer and unless I went slowly the Ranger did approximately what Motor Trend describes, especially on the downhill, but overtime learned to minimize the gyrations but sometimes with others on board couldn't resist the temptation to rock their world. On some stretches of the roads you either stayed ~5 mph or take your bucking and broncing like a real man.
I think those MT dudes are just light weights.
I have direct experience with Motor Trend when we wanted to get Truck of the Year. I agree they are arrogant light weights as they are looking on how much you are going to buy in their magazine in way of ads. Truck of the year is purchased in my opinion and if you do not purchase enough ads, then you are rated tier 2...or 3 or 4.... What a joke in my opinion. When we "won" truck of the year for the 1990 Aerostar AWD, I was interviewed and totally misquoted to accomplish their "spin". Just like this Motorbiscuit does on the web...

Sheesh,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engiineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
First the cactus grey and carbonized grey are awesome. The Tremor sounds awesome , as well as the initial FX4 package. I just dont use my truck like that. Ford is just awesome. Want those grill inserts.

Last edited:

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Excited to see if the new suspension really does ride better than the fx4's. Would be a nice improvement if it does.

Whoknows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Does anyone know if they have the same crash bars or modified crash bars? What else is substantially different?

I'm genuinely considering trading in my 2020 XLT FX4 for a tremor if it's a substantial upgrade and able to do a bit more with lifts and tires. I just can not justify removing safety features, so cutting the crash bars are a hard no.

bmattison

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang
Occupation
Military
I am really glad I decided to get one. Driving a Tacoma home from Montana to Arkansas a few weeks ago is actually what led me to the Ranger. I had a Bronco reservation and had slowly been drifting away from that decision. I drove the Tacoma and decided I liked the idea of having a pickup but I noticed all of the negative things about the truck that the comparison article mentions. My truck will be here March 12th and these reviews have just added to my excitement.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
Good thing none of them had those hideous graphics ?
I noticed that. I'm wondering if they've gotten so much bad feedback on them that they decided to NOT give the media anything to immediately rip on the truck with.

Must have worked because there wasn't anything I saw where they just ridiculed Ford.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
After watching a few of these reviews, the one thing that I can't wrap my head around is the absence of a front camera. I mean, it's on my 2018 Explorer Limited, which is useful for parking with a shopping cart too close to you in the lot! How can there NOT be a camera on a unit built and marketed as a beast for off-roading? Other than that, the reviews are quite positive.

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
I really like this version of the Ranger. About the only things I would change about it would be to give it true rock rails instead, and a steel gas tank skid. Otherwise an awesome base for a daily driver / 4x4 touring rig. The reviews really bag on the interior--I test drove a Lariat and frankly, coming from my Jeep JK, I thought it was perfect (and practically like Star Trek compared to what I'm used to). Just the right amount of tech without being over the top, and still straightforward and truck like. It also has a far more comfortable seating position than the Colorado, Tacoma, or Gladiator. Maybe I'm just getting old... Kinda thinking about retiring the JK for extreme trail duty and doors off/top down weather, and getting one of these, if the deal is right. I do wish there was more info out there about the 6G Ranger, however.
I don't get people bagging the interior too. I love my lariat. Only possibly downside for me is the storage. Also IMO with Ford hurting for chips for production, I can see the 6g getting delayed. They are about to take a huge hit in the pocket book.