2019 Ford Ranger Transmission Fluid Change Question

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
The additional fluid beyond the normal drop the pan amount is in the torque converter. Some older models of Fords used to have drain plugs in the torque converter so you could more fully change the fluid.

Some dealers change the fluid by disconnecting the coolant lines and pumping new fluid in until the return line fluid comes out clear. The 10-speed's filter looks to be more of a engine oil filter with matted filter material which needs to be changed, unlike the previous screens. Those screens just kept out the birds and large rocks. I'd like to see Ford have an external filter that could be changed like a spin on oil filter. Certainly make maintanance easier.
Sponsored

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT sport 2WD, extended cab (long bed)
I did it yesterday and it took about the sane capacity says 12.8 so it was confusing. Also was reading overfilled until the fluid mixed
12.8 is the total capacity. You can only get out what is in the pan. The rest is in the torque converter.

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The additional fluid beyond the normal drop the pan amount is in the torque converter. Some older models of Fords used to have drain plugs in the torque converter so you could more fully change the fluid.

Some dealers change the fluid by disconnecting the coolant lines and pumping new fluid in until the return line fluid comes out clear. The 10-speed's filter looks to be more of a engine oil filter with matted filter material which needs to be changed, unlike the previous screens. Those screens just kept out the birds and large rocks. I'd like to see Ford have an external filter that could be changed like a spin on oil filter. Certainly make maintanance easier.
lol. I guess we were writing at the same time

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read I can use Scott shop towels to wipe it out, have you ever used those?
I use the blue shop paper towels because my son in law works for Kimberley Clarke. So I have the hook up. lol. Just be vigilant in looking for any loose lint, strings, etc. no matter what you use.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
FWIW.

I just did a drain and fill this afternoon, first time with the PPE Shallow pan. I didn't let it drain a super long time and got a little over 5qts out.

People that have replaced the filter have gotten closer to 7 out.

OP
OP

Rangerdude123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks for all the help everyone. I also change the front and rear diff/axle oil and the transfer case oil. All three were sludgy and had quite a bit of metal on the magnets at 67k if anyone else was thinking about changing those I definitely would look into it. All three pretty easy jobs.
Sponsored