First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Floyd.

Have you owned any trim level Colorado? Nope!

Have you ever even owned a truck prior to the Ranger?

Are you critical of any anything about the Ranger? Because this truck although a good truck is not the end all and be all of mid size trucks. There will be better. The Ranger has raised the bar a little, but much less than I expected. I have owned two Rangers across a couple of decades my first Ranger was my first new vehicle. Quite frankly I would like to see Ford improve this truck far beyond any competition.

People may want to use this thread to really think about a potential purchase, a confirmation bias fan boy diatribe provides them little value.
I would agree this truck isn't the end all and be all of mid size trucks (is any vehicle that good?). BUT, I do think it is the best of what is available at this point in time. It isn't perfect, but I think it is very good.

Every vehicle requires some compromises. Some will think the Tacoma is a better compromise for them. Some may think the Colorado is. Or maybe the Ridgeline. But taken as a whole, I think the Ranger provides the best package available today. One really good thing is that all this new competition should really up all the offerings in the next few years. I'm really interested to see what the next Ranger has to offer. Toyota still didn't really do much for 2020 - It will be interesting to see how they respond to the new competition.

Competition is good for all of us - it keeps all the manufacturers on their toes.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Floyd.

Have you owned any trim level Colorado? Nope!

Have you ever even owned a truck prior to the Ranger?

Are you critical of any anything about the Ranger? Because this truck although a good truck is not the end all and be all of mid size trucks. There will be better. The Ranger has raised the bar a little, but much less than I expected. I have owned two Rangers across a couple of decades my first Ranger was my first new vehicle. Quite frankly I would like to see Ford improve this truck far beyond any competition.

People may want to use this thread to really think about a potential purchase, a confirmation bias fan boy diatribe provides them little value.
1] I have maintained and driven Colorados , but since they still made Fords... I never had to own a Colorado.

2] I have owned 7 Rangers, 2 E100s an E150,a couple of F1s,an F100 and an F150.

I along with three other fleet Mechanics maintained a fleet for decades.
Hundreds of all kinds of Chevrolets/GMC trucks, Dozens of Dodges, hundreds of Ford light trucks.

3] Yes I have been critical of the 2019 Ranger , right here at (Ranger5G).
I.E...I prefer a light truck which is built from the ground up as a 2WD,

4]As you say there may be better at some point, at least different,
History tells us...
When better is built ...Ford will likely build it.

5] I've owned and worked on cars examples of which, you likely have never seen.
I have owned 16 Chevrolets as well.
I doubt that you have the credentials to bandy about epithets, but I will concede to being a Ford Man and having a well earned Ford Bias.
I guess even a Chevrolet fan boy could see that.

Of course there are things I would do differently If I were in Charge of the Ranger project, but they have certainly earned my purchase.

I did compliment the Colorado, but you must admit that their entry level is substandard, even when compared to its best offering.

Your desire to present a balanced approach is praiseworthy, if unattainable. NOBODY is without bias.

Last edited:

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
I am not going to agree that an entry WT Colorado is substandard by comparison unless you are including the 4 cyl non diesel version. That configuration is obviously an outlier model and did/does not even include a 4x4. That and due to reduced price for it provides that it is not a valid comparison with the entry level Ranger. The 6 banger entry level Colorado Canyon is not substandard by comparison with the Ranger. I will concede that the entry level Ranger except for body/bed configurations is better than Colorado/Canyon, yet that also reveals another valid functionality knock against the Ranger.

Floyd I am impressed with your background.

I also appreciated Redlands post. I checked into all of the mid size offerings for the second time in less than 5 years. It came down to a Ford Ranger and a comparable GMC Canyon Extended Cab Long Bed. I made the right choice.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not going to agree that an entry WT Colorado is substandard by comparison unless you are including the 4 cyl non diesel version. That configuration is obviously an outlier model and did/does not even include a 4x4. That and due to reduced price for it provides that it is not a valid comparison with the entry level Ranger. The 6 banger entry level Colorado Canyon is not substandard by comparison with the Ranger. I will concede that the entry level Ranger except for body/bed configurations is better than Colorado/Canyon, yet that also reveals another valid functionality knock against the Ranger.

Floyd I am impressed with your background.

I also appreciated Redlands post. I checked into all of the mid size offerings for the second time in less than 5 years. It came down to a Ford Ranger and a comparable GMC Canyon Extended Cab Long Bed. I made the right choice.
The entry level 4CYL non-diesel version was exactly that to which I referred. compared to the XL entry level 2WD Ranger.
As you move up the Trim/Option levels, the Colorado moves up in comparison. At the very top the Colorado moves all the way to second place. The Ranger still retains a solid margin.
In my estimation, the best overall value in the midsized truck race is the Ranger XL SuperCab 2WD package 101A.(most miles for least dollars)
and maybe the full Co-Pilot option.(most features for least dollars)

"Ford knows" that the SuperCrew 4X4 and the upper trim levels and options still retain their competitive edge, offering MANY features which most buyers find most desirable or even essential.

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
The entry level 4CYL non-diesel version was exactly that to which I referred. compared to the XL entry level 2WD Ranger.
As you move up the Trim/Option levels, the Colorado moves up in comparison. At the very top the Colorado moves all the way to second place. The Ranger still retains a solid margin.
In my estimation, the best overall value in the midsized truck race is the Ranger XL SuperCab 2WD package 101A.(most miles for least dollars)
and maybe the full Co-Pilot option.(most features for least dollars)

"Ford knows" that the SuperCrew 4X4 and the upper trim levels and options still retain their competitive edge, offering MANY features which most buyers find most desirable or even essential.
The Base Colorado 4 banger is $3700 less than the XL Ranger and comes with an actual long bed that a fellow can access via a nicely integrated bumper step; to boot.

When you say it is substandard to the XL that may or may not apply to the Base Colorado as compared to the XL, probably not when you consider it is priced as appropriate to its engine and actually has a more functional bed.

The Supercrew Ranger was not even an option for me due to the short bed. Hell it is not much larger than a wheel barrel. I do not think you factor in the fact that Colorado Canyon exceeds the Rangers capabilities with their crew cab long bed option; that is not a solid margin for the Ranger by any means.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Base Colorado 4 banger is $3700 less than the XL Ranger and comes with an actual long bed that a fellow can access via a nicely integrated bumper step; to boot.

When you say it is substandard to the XL that may or may not apply to the Base Colorado as compared to the XL, probably not when you consider it is priced as appropriate to its engine and actually has a more functional bed.

The Supercrew Ranger was not even an option for me due to the short bed. Hell it is not much larger than a wheel barrel. I do not think you factor in the fact that Colorado Canyon exceeds the Rangers capabilities with their crew cab long bed option; that is not a solid margin for the Ranger by any means.

You and I just have different requirements and different standards.

I stand firmly with what I have said earlier, and your petulance is starting to become apparent, so perhaps we should discontinue this conversation while we can remain cordial, seeing that any further comment would be at best superfluous, and I have no desire to offend you further.
Bless you and yours.

Last edited:

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Bump over the noise:

2500 mile review

It depends on what you want. For me the Ranger allows confident access to rugged parts of my property that I would not have considered taking my old Colorado. That alone makes me glad i bought it over the F-150 or a new Colorado when replacing the 2015 Colorado.

My old Colorado beat my new Ranger upside down and backwards on various ride quality components that are meaningful to my body and my perception. Adding aftermarket shocks new wheels and tires on the Ranger has allowed me to reach the Colorado WT ride quality. Took off my sport 17" and replaced them with the OEM 16" with a 265 75 16 AT tire. The Colorado SQ, (Bose or not) was horrible. Not having to upgrade the Ranger sound system for my preferred minimal level of SQ is a big positive for me.

I do not mind Ranger sans tailgate damper, but I do miss the corner step on the Colorado to climb into the bed; scoff if you like, it reduces the functionality of the Ranger compared to the Colorado to a noteworthy degree. The Ranger brake pedal travel and other related constant lack of refinement is a disappointment. One of my front rotors has a spot that grabs; just another build quality component that I have experienced. Did I mention the 3" paint sag on the driver side rear cab? Dealer: "its a truck not a show vehicle". I actually kept my cool: Welcome to the modern Ford Motor Company.

I rolled the dice with initial next gen Colorado in 2015 and was well rewarded with outstanding build quality and a well integrated vehicle. I felt like the odds were in my favor on the 2019 Ranger after all this is now a competitive market sector again thanks to the success of the Chevrolet Colorado and the GMC Canyon. Unfortunately the Ranger did not rise up to the level of the challenge it is not a bad truck remember I prefer it to my 2015 Colorado for purposes that are important to me, but Ford did go after the low hanging fruit to a certain extent in my opinion; the spec fruit, at the cost of what could have been better integration and higher quality production.

The tech on the Ranger has also been a pleasant surprise. The adaptive cruise, the automatic adjusting high beams, cross traffic alert, and blind spot monitoring are all very nice additions. The tranny does not bug me seems just fine.

I like the engine. Increasing the tire height to 31.6" and then re-calibrating the odometer did not give me a major hit to gas mileage. I did 80/20 highway to city using premium and driving at 5 under speed limits today and got 25.4 mpg. I am expecting 21 combined for routine driving that would not bad for a 1.5" lift with a 1.3" sidewall increase without any other modification other than tire height.

My truck listed at 38,200 yet i did well on my trade in, caught a rebate, and executed the X-Plan thanks to this board!!! Otherwise I would be even more critical about price. I think my last calculation had me thinking MSRP is about 16% higher than it deserves to be. Then again I would apply similar calculations to the competition.

Glad to have the Grey Manalishi parked out front and she did some good work for me out at the place today, which is what i bought her for.

I have owned the 2015 Colorado and loved it and my wife currently owns a 2017 Canyon I prefer the Ranger. I have not been a fan boy of the vehicle. If the body options work for you give the Ranger a serious look.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
Found this one today. The third brake light flashes 3 times before staying solid? Someone needs to check this because it is difficult to do this alone...

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
My dealer tried to sell me that flashing brake light for $395.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer tried to sell me that flashing brake light for $395.
it was a nice feature and gets drivers attention behind you when hard braking. overpriced option IMO. my $20k 2015 Mazda 3 had that as standard.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I still think these work the best.

F150ReconTailgatelightbar.jpg
Sponsored