2019 Ford Ranger Gas Mileage

bamahater

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So I just bought my 2019 Ranger in the middle of May. It's a 4x2 Lariat and has about 1,200 miles. I love everything about the truck but the gas mileage. So far i've been getting about 17.5 miles a gallon. I can from a Fiat that got 24 ish MPG on a consistent basis. Only thing i've done to the truck is put a K&N Air Filter. I drive basically to and from work and it's a combo of highway and city and the rest is basically city driving. I don't expect to get the EPA stated MPG but I think what i'm getting is pretty low. I do know there is controversy in regards to the Ranger's stated MPG. Just wondering if my MPG is normal or something that is abnormal. Please help me ease my fears.
Sponsored

Trevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat
I have the 2019 4x4 lariat. Right now my average is 23.3. I do a mix of highway and city. Over the winter it was 22 and change but it's been creeping up with the warmer months. The main reason I bought the ranger was the mpg over other similar models

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Summer blend is just now starting to reach gas stations. I think there may have been some delay this year because of lower demand caused by the COVID shutdown. See if you don’t get a couple of MPG better next month.

I went from about 18 mpg to 20 mpg on my last refill and my driving hasn’t changed. I still don’t get the MPG I would expect.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
You don't say whether you're going by the dash reading or that you're tracking actual fuel usage. Also, you're still pretty low mileage on the engine. And my 2wd had been getting around 20 per fuelio since I started tracking it, but that's prior to the replacement of the high pressure fuel pump for oil dilution. So far the computer has been reading ~23, and it had been fairly accurate. I'm a little over 3k miles on the odo.

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
My wife drives our 2019 Ranger, 4x2, CC, level kit, aftermarket Nitto AT (wider, maybe a little taller) tires. According to the computer, it's getting a steady 17.5 mixed driving. I drive a 2018 F150 4x4, 3.5L, CC, stock and get 17.8 mixed driving. If I baby the F150, I get 19/20. If I could convince my wife to keep her foot out of the turbo, the Ranger will likely do better. In general the more boost from the turbo, the lower the MPG. Yes, there are few snow flake Rangers that claim 28 MPG, but on average they all get similar MPG, otherwise people would flock to that vehicle. The makers are not going to let the competition beat them, period. Yes, I'm not thrilled that Ford stated my Ranger would get 21/26, but Toyota stated 21/25 on my 2014 Tacoma and I got 17.6!

Average MPG from google results...
2019 Tacoma 20/23 MPG
2019 Canyon/Coyote 20/30 MPG
2019 Ranger 21/26 MPG

A quick google around and you'll see owners of the three above averaging 17's to 18's with a few outliers for some reason.

Enjoy your Ranger, Ford did a good job with it IMO.

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When towing a small trailer (900-1500#) I get about 18 (measured 17.92) on hills, freeway & around town as a mixed average. On the freeway at 75-80 (empty, with just the Leer camper shell) it's about 24 (measured actual was 24.39). This is just the last 2 tanks but seems to be about what I get in the summer. 8,000 miles now on the truck.

How you drive has a lot to do with the gas mileage. Boost = shitty gas mileage but more fun...

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
So I just bought my 2019 Ranger in the middle of May. It's a 4x2 Lariat and has about 1,200 miles. I love everything about the truck but the gas mileage. So far i've been getting about 17.5 miles a gallon. I can from a Fiat that got 24 ish MPG on a consistent basis. Only thing i've done to the truck is put a K&N Air Filter. I drive basically to and from work and it's a combo of highway and city and the rest is basically city driving. I don't expect to get the EPA stated MPG but I think what i'm getting is pretty low. I do know there is controversy in regards to the Ranger's stated MPG. Just wondering if my MPG is normal or something that is abnormal. Please help me ease my fears.
As someone else once pointed out elsewhere on this forum, the Ranger has an EcoBoost engine, which means you get a choice between Eco and Boost. Whether or not your MPG is normal really depends on your driving style. If you boost a lot, have a lot of short drives, use remote start, etc., 17.5 mpg is absolutely normal. I'm curious what the EPA rating was on that Fiat you replaced.

When I first got my truck in January (4x4 crew cab), I consistently got right about 19 mpg for the first 3 tanks (no remote start, easy-going driving style, mostly city). After that it started creeping steadily up, and my last tank was 23. The rise was probably a combination of break-in, better weather, changing to summer blend, and slightly more highway miles.
Summer blend is just now starting to reach gas stations. I think there may have been some delay this year because of lower demand caused by the COVID shutdown. See if you don’t get a couple of MPG better next month.

I went from about 18 mpg to 20 mpg on my last refill and my driving hasn’t changed. I still don’t get the MPG I would expect.
To be clear, summer blend does have higher energy density than winter blend. However, that difference is less that 2%, so you will not see an improved of "a couple of MPG" from the gas change alone. The winter/summer difference in MPGs is more dramatically influenced by the change in driving conditions than it is by the change gas composition.

Deleted member 1634

Depends on a lot of factors. Environment, altitude, wind, driving speed, driving style, city/highway, etc. This powertrain is very sensitive. A lot of us can get high 20s (including myself who's maxed at 28mpg with my FX4), while others can't get above 20 if that.

Driving style is very subjective as well. One person's conservative is another person's aggressive. As someone who takes ~1+ miles to get up to 60mph and never really get above 2k rpm on flat roads, as opposed to flooring it from a stoplight like almost everyone else seems to do. I can get +2mpg just by doing that.

Also as others have noted, it gets better over time. Partially from truck break-in, but also from user break-in. This truck drives and acts differently than your previous Fiat, so once you figure out the best way to get the best from your truck, you'll see an improvement as well. Just have to be patient.

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I agree with the1mrb, I'm only on week 2 of ownership and only at 600 miles on the truck but I reset the Trip 2 odometer when I left the dealership and have been getting 25 mpg to and from work here in northern Illinois on mainly country roads. I do have quite a few stop signs on my commute though. Keep the rpms below 2 grand as much as you can. It seems to me once you find a good cruising speed the truck wants to run at about 1400 rpms, that's a good spot for fuel mileage.

It's interesting because I'll occassionally drive our big 4 door 8 ft bed 2015 Ram 2500 diesel to work and if I do the same thing in that truck I can get about the same mileage to and from work. Find the speed where the engine wants to run at 13-1500 rpms and it gets great mileage.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As someone else once pointed out elsewhere on this forum, the Ranger has an EcoBoost engine, which means you get a choice between Eco and Boost. Whether or not your MPG is normal really depends on your driving style. If you boost a lot, have a lot of short drives, use remote start, etc., 17.5 mpg is absolutely normal. I'm curious what the EPA rating was on that Fiat you replaced.

When I first got my truck in January (4x4 crew cab), I consistently got right about 19 mpg for the first 3 tanks (no remote start, easy-going driving style, mostly city). After that it started creeping steadily up, and my last tank was 23. The rise was probably a combination of break-in, better weather, changing to summer blend, and slightly more highway miles.
This right here! Everyone has a different driving style and I'd bet most are in the boost more than they think they are,it's easy to do. I can get fantastic mileage on the highway especially just after filling up the tank,last time was just under 27 mpg. But as soon as I go back to my stop and go around town driving it goes down very quick.

I'm still averaging 22 mpg with a combo of 65% city/35% highway driving and that's with a level kit and larger tires. It's fairly flat around here too unless I go up north so that makes a huge difference too. I can watch the mpg's tick down as soon as you start any kind of incline or step into the pedal and get into the boost. I'd suggest the OP watch his mpg gauge and see how your driving is affecting it and adjust from there. If you're doing mostly stop and go driving there's really nothing you can do except get another Fiat. lol

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
You don't mention what kind of Fiat you had but I reckon this truck is about a thousand pounds heavier. The mileage does get better after getting some more miles under it's belt. Plus winter / summer blend and all that, hang in there. :cool:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
It should get better as you put more miles on it. A lot depends on your driving style. I average 23.7mpg with 18,500 miles on it. It will drop to 22mpg when I get heavy footed. Hope this gives you some encouragement. :sun:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I was just going to ask about how much stop an go driving you did...I had to go through Houston at Rush hour once an it totally sucked. I hate the auto start/stop an always shut it off. I just hit the 7K mark an I find a lot of idling in drive thru's an using the remote start to heat an cool the truck a lot cost me about 1 mpg (week long test). when new the oil was overfilled an having the dealership fix that helped. The dash display of mpg was a little over 1 mpg optimistic before calibrating it. I reset trip 1 right before getting on the highway an set the cruise at 65 an when I got to my son's house 46 miles away it avg'ed 30. Driving home at 75 into the wind knocked it all the way down to 27.6 an that tank finished up at 25.4 the best I've ever gotten. I probably do a 50/50 split of city highway an pretty much avg 21-22. when it was new an overfilled with oil an it was winter an I was remote starting it a lot it was 18-19. I'm trying not to worry so much about mpg an enjoy the truck...figure if I can stay over 20 that's good for a truck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It should get better as you put more miles on it. A lot depends on your driving style. I average 23.7mpg with 18,500 miles on it. It will drop to 22mpg when I get heavy footed. Hope this gives you some encouragement. :sun:
What...NO dancing turkey?? :turkey::turkey:?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2019 4x4 lariat. Right now my average is 23.3. I do a mix of highway and city. Over the winter it was 22 and change but it's been creeping up with the warmer months. The main reason I bought the ranger was the mpg over other similar models
About the same here. since I calibrated the fuel vs hand calcs. Avg over 20MPG
Sponsored