2019/20 Ford Ranger Crew Cab rear under seat storage

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
When you drvelop this solution you have in mind, you will have the market cornered for a few months. Take advantage and post site discounts.
Sponsored

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
We took a trip least weekend and i wrapped the suitcases in trash bags and put them in the bed. But this is a short term solution, i am hoping to get a cover for the bed this weekend.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
We took a trip least weekend and i wrapped the suitcases in trash bags and put them in the bed. But this is a short term solution, i am hoping to get a cover for the bed this weekend.
We do the same when we travel on my husband’s F-150 that doesn’t have a bed cover.

Deleted member 1634

I think we can all agree that we're disappointed by the rear underseat storage in the Ranger, but a lot of us have compensated (myself included) by adding a tonneau cover or topper to securely store and transport items out of the elements in the bed of the truck. There are even plenty of available methods of storing and transporting smaller items as well.

I, for one, have added an easily removable sling bag behind the cab and a specific tonneau cover which allows me access to that bag easily while still being able to roll it all the way up and out of the way to haul taller/bigger items when I need to. Again, not ideal, but in my opinion a good alternative for the lack of provided in-cab storage space.

IMG_20190625_193729_181.jpg

IMG_20190625_193729_180.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think we can all agree that we're disappointed by the rear underseat storage in the Ranger, but a lot of us have compensated (myself included) by adding a tonneau cover or topper to securely store and transport items out of the elements in the bed of the truck. There are even plenty of available methods of storing and transporting smaller items as well.

I, for one, have added an easily removable sling bag behind the cab and a specific tonneau cover which allows me access to that bag easily while still being able to roll it all the way up and out of the way to haul taller/bigger items when I need to. Again, not ideal, but in my opinion a good alternative for the lack of provided in-cab storage space.
Hi Matt,

I have not looked at the reason for the weird shapes of the underseat storage, but it is that way for a reason...I would suspect the right side is around the Muffler and left is the fuel tank... Anyone had a chance to see....I can crawl under mine, but last time I faced several weeks of sever back pain, so am reluctant to do this Legacy of my racecar crash...Sigh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I would hope that the 6g Ranger would have rear seat backs that fold and latch flat, perhaps utilizing a flip forward seat cushion. I'm pretty sure that the 4dr Bronco will have this feature. If not, maybe bring back a regular cab. If the inside storage is impractical to use for cargo, might as well have a ~7ft box

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Matt,

I have not looked at the reason for the weird shapes of the underseat storage, but it is that way for a reason...I would suspect the right side is around the Muffler and left is the fuel tank... Anyone had a chance to see....I can crawl under mine, but last time I faced several weeks of sever back pain, so am reluctant to do this Legacy of my racecar crash...Sigh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I'm pretty sure you are correct, Phil. I think the minimal storage areas is a compromise to keep all things tucked up within the frame rails. Had they let some things hang down, the areas could be bigger I think. Personally, I think it is a good compromise - I'd rather have the underside stuff protected wtihin the frame rails.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure you are correct, Phil. I think the minimal storage areas is a compromise to keep all things tucked up within the frame rails. Had they let some things hang down, the areas could be bigger I think. Personally, I think it is a good compromise - I'd rather have the underside stuff protected wtihin the frame rails.
Hi Rob,

A requirement at Ford Truck is to keep things inside the frame rails. The 1960 Chevy C10s had saddle tanks on both sides of the vehicle out side the frame. The trucks when up like Roman Candles in a side crash... In the early 70s Ford had an optional in cab fuel tank behind the bench seat. I always hated driving these trucks with hearing the fuel sloshing behind my back.... We also had dual tanks with the rear tank behind the rear step bumper...not good in a rear end collision... Things are much safer these days for sure...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
I have always kept a 12 gal. plastic tote in the bed of all the trucks I've owned. Its filled with basically stuff like cleaning supplies, towels, ratchet straps, etc. The first thing I did with my Ranger is take the jack and and associated stuff out of the under seat cubby and move it to my tote. This, of course, frees up that cubby for other items I want inside the truck.

Deleted member 1634

Hi Matt,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yeah, I'm sure there's a reason the cubbies are shaped the way they are. If there isn't, then they're pretty arbitrary shapes. That's what led me to not even trying to deal with them and just go a different storage route.

Deleted member 1634

Hi Rob,

A requirement at Ford Truck is to keep things inside the frame rails. The 1960 Chevy C10s had saddle tanks on both sides of the vehicle out side the frame. The trucks when up like Roman Candles in a side crash... In the early 70s Ford had an optional in cab fuel tank behind the bench seat. I always hated driving these trucks with hearing the fuel sloshing behind my back.... We also had dual tanks with the rear tank behind the rear step bumper...not good in a rear end collision... Things are much safer these days for sure...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I used to drive a 1974 F-250 stick shift for work when I was younger (I'm only 29, so the truck was already pretty old when I was driving it). One of my favorite things to drive and one of my biggest regrets is not buying it from the Township DPW (where I worked at the time) when they put it up for sale. Definitely wasn't a good road trip vehicle, but would've been a fun college car. But you're right, it was weird to fill the tank right behind the driver's seat and hear it sloshing around behind your back as you drove.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
I don't think you can fit a suitcase in any of those under seat compartments,

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
I would hope that the 6g Ranger would have rear seat backs that fold and latch flat, perhaps utilizing a flip forward seat cushion. I'm pretty sure that the 4dr Bronco will have this feature. If not, maybe bring back a regular cab. If the inside storage is impractical to use for cargo, might as well have a ~7ft box
Actually, my Avalanche had this setup...bottom seat flipped forward and seat back folded down. Offered a lot of back seat storage area inside the cab without worrying about the leather seats. I know they did this so the midgate could be lowered but it would still work well in a regular truck.
Sponsored