First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Has anyone come up with or found an after market improvement in the rear under seat storage. Ford was sleeping at the wheel when they designed this. The jack handle has no place to be attached with straps to posts on driver side storage area. The first thing I did was to unstrap the handle and put it behind the seat with the jack. I am still stuck with the posts. Try sliding a heavy suitcase in that area. My idea of a design would be to cover the storage compartment with a hinged door that is incorporated in the carpet. This would be aesthetically clean and smooth.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Robert Scott

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Lone,
Is that the best you can do. With the seat down, there is reduced cargo volume. So now you are going to slide a heavy suitcase over your leather seat? You are either the solution or the problem.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase

Deleted member 1634

Hey Lone,
Is that the best you can do. With the seat down, there is reduced cargo volume. So now you are going to slide a heavy suitcase over your leather seat? You are either the solution or the problem.
In all honesty that is exactly what I would and have done. I don't have leather seats, but if I did, it wouldn't change what I do.

I do agree that the rear underseat storage leaves something to be desired though.

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
Hey Lone,
Not even worth the effort. :yawn:

OP
OP
Robert Scott

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The back seat is up 99% of the time. We put groceries, Costco items and Christmas packages in the back where they are safe. Maybe you would understand better my situation if I gave you an example. We went on a 15 day cruise last November. We, with our luggage had to drive to an international airport 165 miles away. When we returned after our cruise, it was raining cats and dogs at the airport as well as all the way home. If we had placed the luggage in the back of the open truck bed, the suitcases and its content would have been ruined.

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
The back seat is up 99% of the time. We put groceries, Costco items and Christmas packages in the back where they are safe. Maybe you would understand better my situation if I gave you an example. We went on a 15 day cruise last November. We, with our luggage had to drive to an international airport 165 miles away. When we returned after our cruise, it was raining cats and dogs at the airport as well as all the way home. If we had placed the luggage in the back of the open truck bed, the suitcases and its content would have been ruined.
Keep a garbage bag in your luggage. It takes up zero space and in that exact situation provides a waterproof cover so you can still use your bed.

OP
OP
Robert Scott

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That will work, but it still a band-aid. Why not address the real issue. My last truck was a Toyota Tundra. It's under the rear seat storage is like I mentioned in my original thread: CLEAN

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That will work, but it still a band-aid. Why not address the real issue. My last truck was a Toyota Tundra. It's under the rear seat storage is like I mentioned in my original thread: CLEAN
Because for most of us, this is not a real issue at all. We didn't buy a back seat to have it up 99% of the time. Good luck in your search but you are definitely the minority when it comes to the issue of no lid over the small storage compartment under the back seat.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
When we travel to our snowbird destination we use the backseat for two small suitcases and a small cooler. To protect the cloth seats we put a beach towel on the seat and the backrest. It is easy to do and protects the seat fabric.

OP
OP
Robert Scott

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We all buy a variety of items to suit our wants and needs; a truck is one. My other trucks I have carried tons of stuff. My new 2020 Ranger I plan to carry maybe a package of marshmallows, not much more. VGKRanger29 by your statement, I assume you have data to support your findings on truck usage, I find the opposite with my circle of friends.. My seats are leather and available for passengers at any time. I plan to protect them at all costs; up is a good versatile start. I didn't think a personal item could stir so much controversy.

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VGKRanger29 by your statement, I assume you have data to support your findings on truck usage, I find the opposite with my circle of friends.
My data seems to be just as good as your data from a "circle of friends". All of the replies on this thread are people saying they don't see a big deal.

Should have known better and just done the same as @Lone and said "Not worth the effort" :facepalm:

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Can I butt in and make a suggestion? Why not make that open bed a covered bed? Many options to choose from and now it will become a large trunk. And it's secured!
Sponsored