200 lb Leer Camper shell improves gas mileage !

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
This is my theory based on experience. I believe the shell reduces drag to offset weight. I love water sports and surf in Southern California as well as kayak in Arizona. Boards and kayaks can fit with camper shell on. My mileage with surf boards, wetsuits and coolers in the back gets around 30 MPG from PHX to El Centro, then given climb over passes to San Diego drops to 26 ish.

Is this my imagination or real ? Also does 200 pounds in the back actually level my truck out naturally ?
Sponsored

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
This is my theory based on experience. I believe the shell reduces drag to offset weight. I love water sports and surf in Southern California as well as kayak in Arizona. Boards and kayaks can fit with camper shell on. My mileage with surf boards, wetsuits and coolers in the back gets around 30 MPG from PHX to El Centro, then given climb over passes to San Diego drops to 26 ish.

Is this my imagination or real ? Also does 200 pounds in the back actually level my truck out naturally ?
Looks good. :)
Leer IMO is one of the best caps you can buy. My 2009 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4 has one thats been on it since the beginning! No problems, a few gas struts thats it. My son drives it now and although he thinks it would look better w/o the cap he keeps all his smelly sports gear in there now, my garage and his bedroom does not smell like a gym locker room any more!

I opted not to do a hard cap this time, I'm not carrying tools any more since I pretty much drive a desk now. For a soft tonneau I recommend the Truxedo Pro X15, its made out of convertible top material and is about 95% water proof/resistant inside, even after a car wash.

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I think that’s doable with a 2wd truck
Yes indeed, have made several trips from AZ to CA and it wasn’t a one off. Two things make the magic 30 mpg (sometimes a tad more) go down, any uphill incline and if I go faster than 75 which of course I never do ?. I first part of the drive is flat, keep in mind it gets a bit toasty in summer and this with the AC on high. Hopefully with Covid restrictions lifting in CA, I’ll go again soon in winter and drive across the desert without AC to see if I can exceed 30 to 31 mpg, at least for the flat stretch.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

You are not imagining things. A tonneau is a step above nothing and a cap is a step above that.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Take it from aviation.

Aerodynamics offset weight. Always*

That's why retractable landing gear is a thing. It weighs WAY more, but the aerodynamic benefits are outstanding.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
You are not imagining things. A tonneau is a step above nothing and a cap is a step above that.
Bed covers typically reduce or have no effect on fuel economy. Haven't seen any data on bed caps.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Bed covers typically reduce or have no effect on fuel economy. Haven't seen any data on bed caps.
Well I was going by the mileage on a Dodge Ram I used to have and the tonneau cover helped. I guess I should have added the caveat that "individual results may vary."
I guess physics > common sense.

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
You guys haven’t watched the mythbusters episode on pickup trucks and tailgate open or closed for higher mpg. Makes no difference as the air flow doesn’t change. It’s all aerodynamics Watson! A cap would make a drag pocket behind truck larger than stock. So still scratching my head on this one.

The only question I got to ask is, ever check your tire pressure from factory to you? Mine were at 45 psi from factory. Got great mileage but my ass hurt!!! ?

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
You guys haven’t watched the mythbusters episode on pickup trucks and tailgate open or closed for higher mpg. Makes no difference as the air flow doesn’t change. It’s all aerodynamics Watson! A cap would make a drag pocket behind truck larger than stock. So still scratching my head on this one.

The only question I got to ask is, ever check your tire pressure from factory to you? Mine were at 45 psi from factory. Got great mileage but my ass hurt!!! ?
I run my tires at 33-34 ish being an urban driver. Here is my take on Mythbusters, I believe no measurable difference in stop and go five miles to the store type driving. But on the open road, hours without a stop on the flat desert I have on many occasion looked down on my mileage and seen at over 30 mpg, next time I go I'll take a screen shot, I have not made the trip without the shell so I am not sure what an empty truck would have done. Looking at the posts, not many Ranger owners cracking 30 mpg at all. Whatever it is, I'll take it :)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
My take: if a simple bed cover could increase MPG on a modern truck ford would make them standard for the CAFE boost. I don't know about caps, but I tend to suspect this is more confirmation bias and difficulty in reproducing results than a significant effect.

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
So are you getting 30mpg for the tank, or just bouncing off 30mpg at certain points along the drive? Cause I've certainly seen over 30mpg just cruising along, but it always levels out a bit below that by the end of the tank since there are always other types of driving mixed in on my trips. Based on the instantaneous mileage I've seen, I've always believed that if you filled the tank, and immediately hit the road through ND or Kansas or someplace flat like that going 55-60mph, you could pretty easily get over 30mpg tank after tank with this thing. I've never gotten the chance to test that though, which is disappointing, at least for me. haha

Also, Mythbusters was a fun show, but not the most scientific approach to things. They got generally correct/expected results in my mind, but not necessarily the most accurate. But they had to make it entertaining for the masses, not just the engineers like me wanting to know everything. haha
The answer is 30 mpg plus for about the first couple of hundred miles or so... I believe if it were flat the entire way I could get a full tank at 30 mpg. The checkpoint at AZ/CA border and the ascent up the Laguna Mountains pass (4,000 feet) throws it all off. Door to door with steep pass incline included probably 26.5 to 27 mpg for the nearly 400 mile trip.
Sponsored