My ARE camper shell came in!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Now that's the right set-up for a CrewCab! Lookin' good.

OP
OP
jrscobra

jrscobra

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat Crewcab
Occupation
Fleet Vehicle Sales at a Ford Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
ARE CX Series with the Yakima Racks on top. For specifics, give my man Matt a call at 423-876-1990 ext 403. Tell him you saw Jaime's camper shell on his ranger and wanted specific model info.

Deleted member 1634

ARE CX Series with the Yakima Racks on top. For specifics, give my man Matt a call at 423-876-1990 ext 403. Tell him you saw Jaime's camper shell on his ranger and wanted specific model info.
Probably be a bit pricey to buy a topper from Chattanooga, TN, and then ship it to Rock Valley, IA. haha

In all seriousness I've noticed that different dealers have vastly different prices. A lot of people were saying to get a Leer because it was upwards of $1000 cheaper than a comparable ARE. But in my area, comparing my local dealers, they are basically the same.

The CX Evolve was my ARE choice. Ended up going with a Leer though because it was slightly cheaper (couple hundred dollars). Huge mistake. Should've gone with the ARE I originally wanted, since Leer lied to me about options and gave me a subpar product in the end. But it is what it is. Can't change now.

RockRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Probably be a bit pricey to buy a topper from Chattanooga, TN, and then ship it to Rock Valley, IA. haha

In all seriousness I've noticed that different dealers have vastly different prices. A lot of people were saying to get a Leer because it was upwards of $1000 cheaper than a comparable ARE. But in my area, comparing my local dealers, they are basically the same.

The CX Evolve was my ARE choice. Ended up going with a Leer though because it was slightly cheaper (couple hundred dollars). Huge mistake. Should've gone with the ARE I originally wanted, since Leer lied to me about options and gave me a subpar product in the end. But it is what it is. Can't change now.

Thanks for the input, i'll definitely keep that in mind! i've emailed the leer dealer in the area 3 times but haven't heard anything back, the ARE guys seem to be a lot more accommodating so i'm leaning in that direction now.

For what it's worth, that leer looks great in the Saber color!

Deleted member 1634

Thanks for the input, i'll definitely keep that in mind! i've emailed the leer dealer in the area 3 times but haven't heard anything back, the ARE guys seem to be a lot more accommodating so i'm leaning in that direction now.

For what it's worth, that leer looks great in the Saber color!
It must be a Leer problem then, because the communication to/from my local Leer dealer was also horrendous to non-existent. While the local ARE dealer was back to me the next day. Leer dealer got back to me with my email quote 3 weeks after I requested it, and by then I had already been into the store 3 times and ordered what I wanted. Turns out what I wanted/ordered was actually unavailable on this size topper, didn't find that out until about a week after ordering. Again lack of communication between both Leer and the dealer and the dealer and me. Then I had to be proactive and call every so often to get updates, instead of them calling me. Even when my topper was delivered they didn't tell me. I had just happened to call for an update, and he said "oh yeah, it's here"...

Once it was on the truck and I was home I noticed a bunch of quality issues. Seals sticking out in places, scratches all over it, decals not aligned properly, wiring hanging down all over the place, they didn't clean it like they said they would. It looks nice from afar and the color and shape look good. But closer inspection reveals a lot of flaws.

I would definitely spend a little bit extra to avoid the hassle and frustration of dealing with an incommunicative dealer and get a hopefully better quality product and overall experience.

What I have will work fine, it's just not what I wanted or in as good of condition as I was hoping, especially for how much it cost.

alan0614

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Lariat, 2017 GT350, 2016 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Product and Training Manager
How long from order to delivery on ARE?

ClamCakes

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Saber XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
looks great!

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
@jrscobra, I see your set up is simular to mine with mud flaps. Did you notice any difference in highway handling with the topper installed? I would hate to invest in the topper and have it act like my previous Xterra. The Xterra had issues with high winds but that may have been complected by how tall it sat.

Deleted member 1634

@jrscobra, I see your set up is simular to mine with mud flaps. Did you notice any difference in highway handling with the topper installed? I would hate to invest in the topper and have it act like my previous Xterra. The Xterra had issues with high winds but that may have been complected by how tall it sat.
Not to butt in, but as someone who also has a topper, I'll say that the only change in operation has been an increase of about 1-2mpg since adding my topper. No other noticeable things have happened. You're mileage change might be different, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about any driveability issues.

ranger-rick-roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
What are these toppers running? I see various figures all over the internet and find it dumb I have to reach out to a dealer to even get a ballpark price. Was thinking I would just get a hard tonneau but since those are $1000 I thought I would explore camper shells.
Sponsored