200 lb Leer Camper shell improves gas mileage !

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
It would be interesting to find out the aerodynamic situation of that setup. I didn't get very far north very often when I lived in CA but I've heard that there are beautiful beaches up there. I hope someday to take Hwy 1 from the south and go as far as I can north. I am thankful that Cardiff had a sand bottom. Several of my friends were who were watching from the beach, said that just before it happened, the face of the wave was higher that the top of the Hobie and considering it's length estimated the wave to be 10-10.5 ft high. We found out later that some storm surf had moved into that area and caught us by surprise. When I saw it forming, I looked toward the shore and then toward it and a quick evaluation was that the best chance to survive was to try and go over it and then to get back to shore as quick as I could before the next set could catch me. Not the right choice. Going under felt like being in washing machine and was disoriented about which way was up. I was in a panic trying get to the top and get some air. Finally, after surfacing and getting a few breaths, I had to struggle intensely through a heavy surge of whitewater to get in. When I got to the beach, just laid there for a half hour to recuperate. Didn't mean to go into all this but recalling the uncertainty of the circumstances moved me to finish the story.

Have a great day.
Even better story ! Actually, I was referring to North San Diego which includes Cardiff by Sea where you had your adventure. Love that Mr. Wizard in the spin cycle of a wipe out (assuming no face plant lol) bounced around like a rag doll. Your wetsuit is buoyant as are your lungs so eventually blue sky will poke through the wash. Over the falls in 10 foot sets could paralyze a person if you hit bottom head first. As Clint Eastwood says ā€œa man needs to know his limitationsā€ 4 to 6 feet are plenty big for me and my skill level.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
I understand that, that's essentially the design/aero profile I've been trying to explain to people. What I don't quite understand is how adding a topper helps. If anything it creates an even more/larger blunt edge at the back of the vehicle, creating a larger drag bubble. At least with a bed you have a sort of stepped teardrop (or kammback if you'd like) shape, not ideal for sure, but it should theoretically kind of help the air depart the vehicle. Like I've said, I don't understand it exactly, but I'm happy with my results. haha
Thinking that is exactly right, surfboard sticking out and lid on top creates a Kammback. Hmmm, maybe folks at Leer and ARE et al might think of sloping back window at bit more.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
āœ”āœ”
Even better story ! Actually, I was referring to North San Diego which includes Cardiff by Sea where you had your adventure. Love that Mr. Wizard in the spin cycle of a wipe out (assuming no face plant lol) bounced around like a rag doll. Your wetsuit is buoyant as are your lungs so eventually blue sky will poke through the wash. Over the falls in 10 foot sets could paralyze a person if you hit bottom head first. As Clint Eastwood says ā€œa man needs to know his limitationsā€ 4 to 6 feet are plenty big for me and my skill level.
?ā€ā™‚ ā¤µ ā˜¹ ā¤“ :D āœ”
Sponsored