200 lb Leer Camper shell improves gas mileage !

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Okay, yeah, so we're experiencing about the same thing then. It's hard to find a flat, smooth, constant speed, uninterrupted stretch of road 500+ miles long. That's what makes my experiment idea so tough. haha

I don't know about you, but when I'm seeing 30+mpg for the first couple hundred miles, and then watch it start to drop off near the end, I get so disappointed and bummed. haha I keep trying to eek out more and more near the end, until my wife finally gets frustrated with my game and makes me give up. haha
Yup and boy when I get a red light, hill or traffic delay really gets me cranky. Sometimes technology is a form of torture for those that like round numbers and have a bit of OCD. Happy with the 27 compared to my old Titan at 13.
Sponsored

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
The only question I got to ask is, ever check your tire pressure from factory to you? Mine were at 45 psi from factory. Got great mileage but my ass hurt!!! ?
Never got the opportunity to check since wheels and tires were the first thing to go.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
The aerodynamics part is still a slight mystery to me as well. And I work with airplanes. haha There's a reason teardrop designs are some of the most aerodynamic.
Not to run this thing off into the ditch but I always assumed that a sphere was the most aerodynamic otherwise fluids wouldn't take that shape when they fall.

I am in no way trying to argue, I'm just a geek. :)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you're imagining!!
I've been saying this same thing for almost a year!!

I got my Leer 100XR installed last March and immediately saw an overall increase in fuel mileage by about 2mpg across the board.

Clean highway: 26mpg up to 28mpg
Towing: 18mpg up to 20-21mpg
Winter: 16-18mpg up to 18-20mpg
Kayaks on roof: 23mpg to 25mpg

And before anybody goes crazy, these are hand calculated numbers. Even though my truck is within +/-1mpg of hand calc anyways.

I'm absolutely convinced I could get up to 30mpg, like you, if I had the chance (long highway road trip in clean profile), but that type of trip hasn't come around too often with world in tatters. And when it has, usually we'll take my wife's new 2020 Escape Hybrid anyways.

I'm not sure you're science is necessarily all there, but nevertheless, it is a reality. Numbers don't lie! I'm with you 100% on this!

Also I wouldn't think 200lbs would level the truck. I would expect something more like 600-700 lbs. I've gotten closer, since I have the Leer on, about 210lbs worth of sand for added winter traction, my fatbike, and all my other usual junk back there. So I'm probably sitting at around 500lbs in the bed right now and I'd say the headlights are starting to point a little high for my (and the driver's around me) liking. haha
I run my tires at 33-34 ish being an urban driver. Here is my take on Mythbusters, I believe no measurable difference in stop and go five miles to the store type driving. But on the open road, hours without a stop on the flat desert I have on many occasion looked down on my mileage and seen at over 30 mpg, next time I go I'll take a screen shot, I have not made the trip without the shell so I am not sure what an empty truck would have done. Looking at the posts, not many Ranger owners cracking 30 mpg at all. Whatever it is, I'll take it :)
I've done it. Long trip. No stops, ACC on and the Gator Tonneau installed.
IMG_3423.JPG

Edit: Oh, I should add that I run high psi on TP. Usually 38. Heck, truck was delivered wirh 45 psi, and after my last dealer service, they bumped it up to 45 psi again. TP must make the biggest mpg improvement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I've done it. Long trip. No stops, ACC on and the Gator Tonneau installed.
IMG_3423.JPG

Edit: Oh, I should add that I run high psi on TP. Usually 38. Heck, truck was deleivered wirh 45 psi, and after my last dealer service, they bumped it up to 45 psi again. TP must make the biggest mpg improvement.
Nice !! Thanks for posting this as proof it can be done.

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how you guys are doing it... I have a topper (with a roof rack) and generally get 19 mpg. You all must live in some flat ass places and be driving like a granny going 45 mph on the highway. I've mostly driven up and down I-35 with the cruise set at 75.

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Leer 100R on my FX4 and carry two "tool" boxes plus sometimes a dog kennel with a 90lb. Lab and have been getting about 23.2 mpg. But then I don't have a nice long straight flat anywhere around. It's up and down any way I go. I don't know if the topper is aerodynamic but it sure pulls in the slop onto the back topper window when driving in snow, wet or muddy conditions.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I believe the shell reduces drag to offset weight.
I have the Leer shell and it was my hope that it would improve mileage due to better airflow across the back. My problem is that I didn't accumulate enough data at moderate highway speeds before installing it to come to an honest scientific conclusion. I saw no improvement at interstate speeds, which in my parts are 75-to-80 and getting 20-to-21 mpg. But since mileage on the Ranger generally tanks at over 70 anyway, that wasn't a surprise. I often do get up to 26 mpg on highways where the speed is at or less than 70. I am not sure if that is due to the Leer or not.

2020-01-27 15-56-40.jpg

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I have the Leer shell and it was my hope that it would improve mileage due to better airflow across the back. My problem is that I didn't accumulate enough data at moderate highway speeds before installing it to come to an honest scientific conclusion. I saw no improvement at interstate speeds, which in my parts are 75-to-80 and getting 20-to-21 mpg. But since mileage on the Ranger generally tanks at over 70 anyway, that wasn't a surprise. I often do get up to 26 mpg on highways where the speed is at or less than 70. I am not sure if that is due to the Leer or not.

2020-01-27 15-56-40.jpg
Seems like a 2WD might do a bit better on gas. You are right about speed, in my case over 75 makes the MPG go down.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
This is my theory based on experience. I believe the shell reduces drag to offset weight. I love water sports and surf in Southern California as well as kayak in Arizona. Boards and kayaks can fit with camper shell on. My mileage with surf boards, wetsuits and coolers in the back gets around 30 MPG from PHX to El Centro, then given climb over passes to San Diego drops to 26 ish.

Is this my imagination or real ? Also does 200 pounds in the back actually level my truck out naturally ?
Chris,

I had the same thoughts about drag and mpg's before I bought a Leer for my previous 2011 Ranger. So mary varied opinions about those points in my research that I just gave up and kept
Side.jpg
Front Angle.jpg
Back Angle.jpg
driving without giving it anymore thought. The one thing that benefited the Truck was that the weight of the shell settled down some of the stiffness of the 4X4 ride.

By the way, I used to live in Orange County and usually surfed Seal Beach, Doheny, Dana Point, and 38th St. in Newport Beach which was closest to where I lived. My scariest experience was getting caught paddling up a wave at Cardiff by Sea that was bigger than my ability to handle and before I could get over it, took me over the falls backwards. My 1st board was a Hobie and my 2nd one was custom made by Joe Quigg's shop in Newport Beach. Not sure if the shop is still there as I now live in NM. Boards were a lot longer then and started getting shorter when hot dogging became the rage. This was many moon's ago in the early days when surfing started becoming popular in Southern CA. Those were fun days!

Paul

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Chris,

I had the same thoughts about drag and mpg's before I bought a Leer for my previous 2011 Ranger. So mary varied opinions about those points in my research that I just gave up and kept
Side.jpg
Front Angle.jpg
Back Angle.jpg
driving without giving it anymore thought. The one thing that benefited the Truck was that the weight of the shell settled down some of the stiffness of the 4X4 ride.

By the way, I used to live in Orange County and usually surfed Seal Beach, Doheny, Dana Point, and 38th St. in Newport Beach which was closest to where I lived. My scariest experience was getting caught paddling up a wave at Cardiff by Sea that was bigger than my ability to handle and before I could get over it, took me over the falls backwards. My 1st board was a Hobie and my 2nd one was custom made by Joe Quigg's shop in Newport Beach. Not sure if the shop is still there as I now live in NM. Boards were a lot longer then and started getting shorter when hot dogging became the rage. This was many moon's ago in the early days when surfing started becoming popular in Southern CA. Those were fun days!

Paul
Thanks for the stories, backwards over the falls is a recipe for serious injury ! Duck, roll and pray for the best in that scenario. I am older now, so use a 7'6", surf La Jolla, much of North County, Ponto and Carlsbad, occasionally Moonlight Beach in Encinitas. I stay away from the young groms on 5'6" sticks shredding every which way. Since my board sticks out 1 to 2 feet (diagonal in bed) I wonder if my back glass lid angling down (vs a regular 90 degrees latched) creates an additional aerodynamic benefit. One of the engineers on the forum would need to verify..

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Thanks for the stories, backwards over the falls is a recipe for serious injury ! Duck, roll and pray for the best in that scenario. I am older now, so use a 7'6", surf La Jolla, much of North County, Ponto and Carlsbad, occasionally Moonlight Beach in Encinitas. I stay away from the young groms on 5'6" sticks shredding every which way. Since my board sticks out 1 to 2 feet (diagonal in bed) I wonder if my back glass lid angling down (vs a regular 90 degrees latched) creates an additional aerodynamic benefit. One of the engineers on the forum would need to verify..
It would be interesting to find out the aerodynamic situation of that setup. I didn't get very far north very often when I lived in CA but I've heard that there are beautiful beaches up there. I hope someday to take Hwy 1 from the south and go as far as I can north. I am thankful that Cardiff had a sand bottom. Several of my friends were who were watching from the beach, said that just before it happened, the face of the wave was higher that the top of the Hobie and considering it's length estimated the wave to be 10-10.5 ft high. We found out later that some storm surf had moved into that area and caught us by surprise. When I saw it forming, I looked toward the shore and then toward it and a quick evaluation was that the best chance to survive was to try and go over it and then to get back to shore as quick as I could before the next set could catch me. Not the right choice. Going under felt like being in washing machine and was disoriented about which way was up. I was in a panic trying get to the top and get some air. Finally, after surfacing and getting a few breaths, I had to struggle intensely through a heavy surge of whitewater to get in. When I got to the beach, just laid there for a half hour to recuperate. Didn't mean to go into all this but recalling the uncertainty of the circumstances moved me to finish the story.

Have a great day.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The aerodynamics part is still a slight mystery to me as well. And I work with airplanes. haha There's a reason teardrop designs are some of the most aerodynamic. I was expecting a similar or even slightly lower mileage when adding the topper, not an increase. But again, my results are real and I'm fine with it. haha

As far as tire pressure, I'm running anywhere between 30-35psi, depending on the season and outside temperature (lower in the winter, higher in the summer). Might help a little bit since my FX4 is supposed to be at 30psi, but it's not like I'm really cheating too much there.
Do a search on Kammback. Wikipedia has a decent explanation.
Sponsored