LostMy65

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm still trying to figure out if the very base XL has a key locking tailgate.
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I really like this feature.
To each his own. I hated it because either I'd be carrying grocery bags and had to set them down to get my keys or working around the house and yard and go to put something in the bed and it would be locked and I didn't have my keys. With the tailgate damper all I need is a free pinky finger to pull the latch. :sunglasses:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I'm still trying to figure out if the very base XL has a key locking tailgate.
Ford.com Ranger XL Features page says "Tailgate - Manual Locking".

OP
OP
LostMy65

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Ford.com Ranger Features page says "Manual Locking Tailgate".
Thanks, it was probably easy to figure out, but I just wasn't finding it.
I'd be fine with it only being a manual lock & unlock.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
I bought a 100A because it was cheap. Got it for $23,300 at the start of the pandemic when prices were down. I ended up adding cruise and keyless entry to it myself.
That's a good deal. When I was shopping I had the choice of two Ranger Xls (everything else was $6,000+ in my area). One was a 4x4 100A and the other was a RWD 101A . I drove both and couldn't seem to live without the electric power options and cruise control so I went with the RWD. I don't need 4x4 capability but would have liked a rear-locker for towing and decided I would add it later. I still plan to add it but didn't expect it to be the PITA that it is.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
To each his own. I hated it because either I'd be carrying grocery bags and had to set them down to get my keys or working around the house and yard and go to put something in the bed and it would be locked and I didn't have my keys. With the tailgate damper all I need is a free pinky finger to pull the latch. :sunglasses:
My truck is always unlocked at home and in the garage so no problem moving stuff in and out. It is somewhat inconvenient hauling stuff after I've locked the truck at a store but still prefer to have the lock versus not. I try to remember to put the keys in my hand before picking up the groceries to take out of the store and this makes it a little easier to get things into the truck by using the fob. :)

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Thanks, it was probably easy to figure out, but I just wasn't finding it.
I'd be fine with it only being a manual lock & unlock.
My truck is always unlocked at home and in the garage so no problem moving stuff in and out. It is somewhat inconvenient hauling stuff after I've locked the truck at a store but still prefer to have the lock versus not. I try to remember to put the keys in my hand before picking up the groceries to take out of the store and this makes it a little easier to get things into the truck by using the fob. :)
Occasionally someone here or on the FB groups gives me shit for saying I disconnected it and my tailgate will get stolen but I assure them that where I live the deer are a far bigger hazard than the tweakers.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Occasionally someone here or on the FB groups gives me shit for saying I disconnected it and my tailgate will get stolen but I assure them that where I live the deer are a far bigger hazard than the tweakers.
Jon,
My feeling is that you have every right to disconnect your tailgate or not and do whatever you want to the Ranger without criticism. I enjoy communicating with members and respectfully discussing differences and opinions and accept that none of us will always be like everyone else. Variety is the substance that keeps this forum interesting! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
LostMy65

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Personally I would get it. My theory is you've worked hard your whole life and as long as you can afford it why not splurge a little and get it all? Mine is fully loaded and I've never had all this stuff on any truck before. Now that I do I really like them and I found that I use most of these features more and more.

For me I'd never buy another vehicle without keyless entry or start. It's really nice never to have to take the fob out of your pocket. I know first world problems. lol
Well, thanks a lot! I ordered an XLT because of your post. :)
Seriously though, you did influence my decision. I started thinking of how having some of the additional features will help make driving nicer.

OP
OP
LostMy65

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Oh, and also, a couple dealerships said they could order the XL with the base 100A package, but couldn't do the 101A yet because Ford still hadn't made up their mind on what the 101A would or would not include for 2023. I wanted things that I could only get with the 101A, but I had already waited some weeks and still nothing official. So, I bit the bullet and put a deposit on the XLT.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well, thanks a lot! I ordered an XLT because of your post. :)
Seriously though, you did influence my decision. I started thinking of how having some of the additional features will help make driving nicer.
Glad I could help you spend more money. ? But I do think you'll really like the extra features once you have them. I know I did and still have zero regrets for getting them.

OP
OP
LostMy65

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I was tempted to go for the loaded Maverick with the 4000# tow package.
If it had a 6 foot bed, I may have went for it.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was tempted to go for the loaded Maverick with the 4000# tow package.
If it had a 6 foot bed, I may have went for it.
And unfortunately, the Maverick does not offer a Scab.
Sponsored