RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If you are interested in seeing the internals of these 10 speed transmissions.

These transmissions are quite the piece of engineering!
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
As a guy who rebuilds helicopter transmissions, I always find this stuff interesting
After I came back from Vietnam Nam..I joined the national guard and was a crew chief on a Huey med Evac helicopter...couldn’t fix a transmission..but pulled out a few..Regards

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
If you are interested in seeing the internals of these 10 speed transmissions.

These transmissions are quite the piece of engineering!
Wow...no wonder it took two of the big three to co-develop this tranny...that's practically a freeking jet engine part count...now put that gun back together blind folded :whew:

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Wow...no wonder it took two of the big three to co-develop this tranny...that's practically a freeking jet engine part count...now put that gun back together blind folded :whew:
Hell, in another life I used to take apart J-52 P8B engines and I don't remember them being that complex.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That’s more like a turbine build!

Reactions: Doc

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Just a tad more complicated than the 3 speeds I use to work on. :shock:
Thanks for posting that.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
"Ohh, this shit? I don't know what the hell we're looking at."

I'm with you dude, transmissions are straight up voodoo magic.

Anything past the clutch/torque converter and I'm lost.

Cool video though. Now I know just a little more along my path to dangerous levels of knowledge.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Amazing ingenuity in this tranny. I wouldn't even know where to begin putting this back together. I would have a big pile of parts sitting in the corner of my garage if I ever attempted this. lol

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Amazing ingenuity in this tranny. I wouldn't even know where to begin putting this back together. I would have a big pile of parts sitting in the corner of my garage if I ever attempted this. lol
We’d all have matching boxes!

7403F9BD-4E71-4928-BEC8-674F23020631.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

In Off Road Racing, the Ford C6 was king. So simple by comparison to the 10 speed! I was out in a remote pit at the Vegas to Reno Race when a wounded F 150 with trans problems pulled in to the pit. Being a mechanic in a prior life, I was known to sling wrenches for trucks in need during a race. This racer thought his race was run. There was a fellow we had sponsored down the pit lane and I got him, Gordon DeC.... to come down. Next thing was to pull the transmission, so I dived into the right side and Gordon on the left and we dropped the trans. Then Gordon took over and pulled the pan, Valve body and here I am holding parts in my hands to keep them out of the dirt. I was cradling stuff, planet gears etc and we got down to the case. Gordon then started stuffing parts back into the trans examining some and tossing for new parts and so it continued. I was astounded how he know what went where....including nuts and bolts. Trans assembled, we dove under the truck again and reinstalled the trans.

Then Gordon coordinated the refill process for the 20 million quarts of ATF. Amazingly the truck started, cycled the trans and was off in a cloud of dust! The truck finished the race in Reno! I was picked up by my motorsports coordinator and we leap frogged to the next pit and here comes the truck...Full power and not stopping.... I was still using shop rags to try to clean up. My nice Ford Truck Motorsports Golf shirt trashed....At the finish line, I got a new Rough Rider shirt to be part of the finish line greeting party for the racers....the truck we fixed pulled in and the driver got out and gave me a big hug! I still had so much sand in my hair and it would be hours to a hot shower and some sleep until the last Ford vehicle crossed the finish line.

I somehow I think this would never happen with the 10 speed trans...Way too many snap rings, retaining rings and clutch packs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Hi Folks,

In Off Road Racing, the Ford C6 was king. So simple by comparison to the 10 speed! I was out in a remote pit at the Vegas to Reno Race when a wounded F 150 with trans problems pulled in to the pit. Being a mechanic in a prior life, I was known to sling wrenches for trucks in need during a race. This racer thought his race was run. There was a fellow we had sponsored down the pit lane and I got him, Gordon DeC.... to come down. Next thing was to pull the transmission, so I dived into the right side and Gordon on the left and we dropped the trans. Then Gordon took over and pulled the pan, Valve body and here I am holding parts in my hands to keep them out of the dirt. I was cradling stuff, planet gears etc and we got down to the case. Gordon then started stuffing parts back into the trans examining some and tossing for new parts and so it continued. I was astounded how he know what went where....including nuts and bolts. Trans assembled, we dove under the truck again and reinstalled the trans.

Then Gordon coordinated the refill process for the 20 million quarts of ATF. Amazingly the truck started, cycled the trans and was off in a cloud of dust! The truck finished the race in Reno! I was picked up by my motorsports coordinator and we leap frogged to the next pit and here comes the truck...Full power and not stopping.... I was still using shop rags to try to clean up. My nice Ford Truck Motorsports Golf shirt trashed....At the finish line, I got a new Rough Rider shirt to be part of the finish line greeting party for the racers....the truck we fixed pulled in and the driver got out and gave me a big hug! I still had so much sand in my hair and it would be hours to a hot shower and some sleep until the last Ford vehicle crossed the finish line.

I somehow I think this would never happen with the 10 speed trans...Way too many snap rings, retaining rings and clutch packs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I just wanted to say your contributions to this community are fantastic and I love reading your anecdotes.

2021Ranger

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I used to drag race and built a lot of power glides. Did quiet a few 4L60’s and 4L80’s and a few turbo 350’s…
What I would like to know is how they get 10 speeds out of
4 planetary’s. What gears are using them
Sponsored